[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any books like Colm Toibin's Brooklyn? I saw the movie and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3
File: BROOKLYN.jpg (274 KB, 900x1393) Image search: [Google]
BROOKLYN.jpg
274 KB, 900x1393
Any books like Colm Toibin's Brooklyn? I saw the movie and would very much like to read the book but practically all the copies in the UC system are checked out and due next year
>>
this movie was so inoffensive I actually liked it
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 293x475) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 293x475
>>7810693
The Go-between by L.P. Hartley
It's got very similar themes and it was also turned into a great film in 1971.
Plus, Colm Toibin wrote the Introduction to the NYRB edition.
>>
>>7811006
pic rel looks like he is plying Who am I
>>
>>7811006
my school doesn't even have that one, fml

I suppose my ereader is always an option though
>>
I'd definitely recommend it. It's similar in style to Henry James and a lot of 19th century realist authors. The prose is spare but descriptive enough for its purposes. There is no central plot and instead the focus is put on the characters, who are all very real and likable. Overall, no one aspect of the novel stands out, but the total effect is subtle and fulfilling. Toibin is not trying to show off; instead, he is like a master artisan working to make the best product possible for the sake of his craft. And afterwards you really do get a good sense of what it was like to emigrate from Ireland to America in the 1950s. If you liked the movie it's almost a certainty that you'll like the book.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.