[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is Graphology a pseudo science?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4
can you really tell someone's persona by the their hand writing?
>>
>>7810392
You can deliberately change your handwriting.
>>
Might I suggest it belongs in the same vocational brackets as clairvoyants and television presenters? A non-essential profession that exists purely on society's misguided notion that it fulfils a questionable purpose.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/6929678/Milly-Dowler-killer-in-evil-outburst.html
>>
>>7810399
Not easily.

To answer OP's question: sorta. If they are a dominant individual, they're more likely to write bigger with harder marks on the page. If they write very small, you can imagine they are not very dominant. People that write very sloppy tend to have messy rooms, at least that's what I have noticed.
>>
File: IMG_20160314_232328.jpg (954 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160314_232328.jpg
954 KB, 3264x2448
>>7810452
Hello
>>
File: 20160314_123012.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160314_123012.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>7810452
>People that write very sloppy tend to have messy rooms, at least that's what I have noticed.

Hmmm.
>>
>>7810392
It's exactly as scientific as phrenology.

Also this is more /sci/'s thing.
>>7810452
My brother writes like dog shit. Seriously, it's like a guy seven years younger than him (he's fifteen). He's also very, *very* well organised -- way more than me.

But he does (possibly) have something like dyslexia. He still reads though, thank God.
>>
>>7810399
You can deliberately change your personality as well.
>>
>>7810517
*thank dog
>>
>>7810519
You can change your actions.

Well, you can also lobotomise yourself, I suppose.
>>7810520
My brother has the maybe-dyslexia, not me. My mental problems are a whole other bag of cats.
>>
>>7810519
Nobody's going to change their personality just to prove a dumb test wrong. The person would have to have some motive for deceiving the proctor, such as disguising malevolent intent.
>>
>>7810532
Or "malevlintent" as it's also known.
>>
does your personality change if i break all of the fingers on your writing hand with a tyre iron?
>>
>>7810538
>tyre
>>
>>7810538
Yes. Normally I'm not screaming and clutching at my hand.
>>
>>7810537
The contraction itself is malevolent, innit?
>>
>>7810541
Does your personality change if you try to write with your non-dominant hand?
>>
>>7810541
That's not your personality you dumb fuck.
>>7810537
Malintent.
>>
>>7810545
I think that means "man run"
>>
>>7810546
Yes. Normally I write with my dominant hand.
>>
>>7810551
Anon, do you actually know what a personality is? It is not normally associated with your physical characteristics.
>>
>>7810538
>>7810546
I don't even believe in this shit but you got your logic all mixed up. Your personality influences the way you write not the other way round.
>>
>>7810555
>mind-body separation
>>
>>7810540

you must be one of those uppity fuckers from Sidon.
>>
>>7810558
>common usage
>>
>>7810561
>implying personality isn't expressed through physical actions
>>
>>7810563
>implying expression is the same thing as the expressor
>>
>>7810556
Our point isn't really that one's personality or mental state affect writing, but that it would require such ideal conditions for the personality traits to shine through in writing that it's fairly unreliable as a means of evaluating a person's personality or mental state, especially if they are setting out to deceive.

I do believe it, to the extent that it can be used to identify whether two documents were written by the same person. That's a different scenario though. You're looking to prove correspondence, which hopefully would hold even if the writer were trying to distance the two writing styles. It's easier to prove correspondence to one individual than to a generalized demographic, or to something so shifty as feelings.
>>
>>7810566
I write with my dominant hand. That is part of my personality. If I were to try writing with my non-dominant hand, that would be a change in my personality. QED.
>>
>>7810569
>I write with my dominant hand. That is part of my personality
No. It's nothing to do with your personality.

You can't QED something without actually doing the D.
>>
>>7810569
Or maybe your personality is that you write with your dominant hand 99.998% of the time, and the other 0.002% of the time write with your non-dominant hand for unspecified reasons.

Or maybe, as a contrarian, you might always choose to write with your non-dominant hand given certain situations are met, e.g. you are presented with a challenge.
>>
>>7810570
Yes it is.
>>
>>7810571
As a contrarian I might always write with my dominant hand just to annoy you.
>>
>>7810571
Yes. Your desire to write with X hand because it is dominant is part of your personality. The fact you are writing with your dominant hand -- is not.
>>7810572
>if someone binds my dominant hand and forces me to write with my lesser -- it is my personality
>if someone puts a hat on me it is part of my personality
>>
I think you MAY be able to tell the mood of the person, IF you have previous examples of his handwriting in order to compare them.

Maybe subtle differences in intensity can tell if the person was angry, in a hurry or something like that.

But anything more deep is probably bullshit.

Studying the techniques to verify that someone's handwriting is legit, on the other hand, does sound like an interesting field of study (I guess it's some kind of glorified historian? I don't know if it has a name)
>>
>>7810575
It's part of my personality to leave the hat on, or shake it off. I could just not write.
>>
>>7810580
It's an expression of your personality, sure.

The fact you have a hat on is not.
>>
>>7810583
Yes but in the original example we were talking about deciding to write with the non-dom hand of our own accord; your analogies of external changes (hat put on by someone else, dom hand bound) are irrelevant.
>>
>>7810585
No we weren't.

We were talking about writing with non-dom hand. Nothing about deciding. For example, getting your hand broken with a tire iron (>>7810541).
>>
>>7810587
I chose to scream and clutch at my hand, in much the same way I chose to take the hat off or leave it on.
>>
>>7810588
1. no you don't, it's involuntary.
2. this is an expression of fixed personality, not a change in it.
>>7810589
Or the English "one".

He's joking, anyway.
>>
>>7810573
The "you" here is only a metaphorical "you", a hypothetical "you", similar to the french "on" and the italian "si", an impersonal subject pronoun. It is not the literal "you".
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (22 KB, 420x339) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
22 KB, 420x339
>>7810593
>1. no you don't, it's involuntary.
>>
>>7810593
Sorry I misspelled a word and didn't want to open a shitstorm. Updated version here
>>7810594
>>
>>7810594
So, you meant to say "someone"? I hate not being able to find a good translation for expressions in different language, specially in english, out of all the languages I know, it's the one I don't think that deserves "muh snowflake words" status.
>>
>>7810595
Oh, I'm sorry, you're right. We don't automatically react to anything at all. Thank you for overturning all of biology ever.
>>7810599
One. "One would not stick their head in the fire if told to by their friend" means the same as "you would not stick your head in the fire if told to by your friend".

It just sounds kind of up yourself.
>>
>>7810599
No, it's like when people on the cooking channels say,
"This is how you make beef stroganoff"
And then they proceed to show you how *they* make it.

Or if someone were to ask,
"How do you know when it's done cooking?"

The appropriate answer would be,
"You know because the meat has turned a brown tint...", etc.

The literal only difference between the French and Italian analogues I provided is that the Romance Languages do it in the third person whereas English does it in the second. It's very similar to the use of "one" as a pronoun in English, however, so I wouldn't read too much into it. "One" has just fallen out of favor and become stilted, though it's making its comeback.
>>
>>7810606
We react to things instinctively, for example babies cry when they're hungry, people move extremities away from pain. But we learn how to suppress those instinctive reactions as part of the personality. That you don't cry when you're hungry or need burping (I assume) is as much a part of your personality as your reaction to pain.
>>
>>7810606
I see, actually I was going to suggest that as well, but I thought that one is exclusively used for the main subject of a sentence. (In german, it changes: man, einen, einem)

Anyways, thanks for the explanation.
>>
>>7810490
According to your handwriting you are creative and mentally flexible individual, somewhat psychologically disturbed, with a need for lots of personal space. You have trouble with differing opinions and often feel threatened when you are met with something that encroaches on your worldview. You have almost no sex drive and you're kind of a blabber mouth. And your self esteem is shit.
>>
>>7810612
Nigger everyone will react by screaming and clutching their hand if it's crushed by a tire iron. Don't kid yourself here.

Which is besides the point. We're not talking about expressions of personality -- we're talking about changing it. And your personality doesn't magically change when you react to something, as you yourself are implying.
>>7810615
In reality, you'd just use you. As in that example.

It's easy to work out via context.
>>
>>7810612
This is far beside the point. We're trying to deduce whether you would be able to tell something subtle about a person's personality, such as if they're a serial killer, something generally well-hidden and unrelated to the injury. I'm not saying you're wrong, you're just way off topic.
>>
>>7810624
>Nigger everyone will react by screaming and clutching their hand if it's crushed by a tire iron. Don't kid yourself here.
Yeah just like everyone will react by running around screaming and trying to put it out if you set them on fire. Thích Quảng Đức says no. Come on, we've been over this. Different people have different pain thresholds and can learn to overcome instinctive reactions to even severe pain.
>>
>>7810627
Yes. We have been over this. You can train yourself not to react, sure. What does that have to do with anything? Absolutely nothing.
>>
>>7810626
Yeah that's obvious bull so we're having a completely derailed conversation about what constitutes an expression of personality and to what degree external impositions count as that.
>>
>>7810633
No we're not. No one is saying that how you react to something isn't an expression of personality you dumb shit.

I'm saying that it's only an expression. It isn't your actual personality.
>>
>>7810631
How you have learned to react is part of your personality. Baby reacts to hunger by screaming, Zizek reacts to hunger by finding a nice sklep selling raw pork mince, Camus reacts to hunger by having a cup of coffee and smoking a pack of gitanes.
>>
>>7810633
Well that's the only reason people are arguing with you at this point, I'm pretty sure.
>>
>>7810640
Are you mentally incapable of understanding my posts?
>>
>>7810638
Your personality is /to/ react in that way.
>>
>>7810644
It's just my personality to choose not to.
>>
>>7810645
Your personality is the decisions that result in you reacting in a certain way, the biases that lead you there, the process behind it.

How you have learned to react to something has nothing to do with your personality. How you decide to react to something -- and how you decided to learn to react a certain way -- is. For example, if I have the ability to keep quiet as my hand is smashed and decide to roar with pain anyway because I want to be a cunt to the guy doing it -- the roaring is an expression of personality, the "because I want to be a cunt" bit *is* my personality.

But hey, what the fuck do I know. I'm just some shit on an anonymous basket-weaving board.
>>
>>7810392
my signature looks like a heart arrhythmia, which I learned from my dad. as soon as I was old enough to start signing stuff occasionally, I copied his style until it stuck. in whatever way that has anything to do with my personality, I'd say it is related in a number of varied and subtle ways that would be too difficult to interpret meaningfully.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.