[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good stories about broken women? Ideally dark
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: 1457806459860.jpg (198 KB, 500x708) Image search: [Google]
1457806459860.jpg
198 KB, 500x708
What are some good stories about broken women?

Ideally dark and set in the last 100 years up till today.
>>
you dont only read about male characters do you /lit?
>>
>>7810301
Sylvia Plath, the Bell Jar.
Now get out.
>>
>>7810301
>i wish that slut would take her selfie and move the fuck out of the way so I can grab that monograph on beethoven and maybe the one on chuck berry
>>
>>7810309
Is this supposed to be an implication of sexism when you are the one here who wants to read about women that are broken?
>>
>>7810316
someone else is taking the photo for her though so it's not exactly a selfie anonfuck
>>
>>7810319

tell me the last book you read centered on a female character anon. I will take your lack of answer as you havnt read one.
>>
>>7810301
Madame Bovary.
>>
Anything written by Gillian Flynn really
>>
>>7810409
Tribune of the Plebs
>>
Elfriede Jelinek bibliography
>>
>>7810301
Lolita
The Awakening
The Scarlet Letter
>>
>>7810332
Not that anon, but Atlas Shrugged.
>>
>>7810301
>>
I'm going to be pleb as fuck here and say the Millennium trilogy.
>>
story of my life by jay mcinerney

bastard out of carolina
she's come undone
>>
File: 1450167980845.jpg (337 KB, 1280x924) Image search: [Google]
1450167980845.jpg
337 KB, 1280x924
Snow Country is a good Japanese novel about women with no future
>>
>>7813679
you're a pleb even when you don't try
>>
>>7810354
More like Anna Karenina, but they were not written in the last 100 years.
>>
Letter from an unknown woman - Stefan Zweig
>>
Bump for interest
>>
>>7810301
The Legend of Miss Sasagawara, Yamamoto
The Yellow Wallpaper, Gilman

Both fairly short short stories. I particularly enjoyed the piece by Gilman
>>
>>7810301
This book >>7812881 has some pretty deep female characters. Although the character developement is a little slow, you see the depth of the characters in full bloom towards the end and that's when you really appreciate the author's insight of the feminene psyche.
>>
File: wat.jpg (32 KB, 450x800) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
32 KB, 450x800
>>7815061

Are you memeing me? How does a book about a seal have deep feminine characters?
>>
File: didion corvette.jpg (98 KB, 1500x1120) Image search: [Google]
didion corvette.jpg
98 KB, 1500x1120
>>7810301
Play it as it Lays, by Joan Didion

It would make even the most bitter robot empathize with a woman and problems that are uniquely female.

Some of the women in B.E.E.'s novels are pretty much ruined and sometimes quite human.
>>
>>7815244
Yeah, well, it's a postmodernist novel and it's not strictly about the superficial seal character if you think about it. The seal is a symbol for the arbitrariness of modern aggression -- how man, despite not needing to "conquer nature" anymore, still feels obliged to ravish it, because it is his nature to be vain. There are a few woman characters in the book (some of the are seal hunters, some peace fighters and one female seal) and, let me just say that, towards the end, by virtue of contrast and comparison some touching and impressive relationships between men, women and nature are pointed out rather stylisically successfully.
>>
>>7813713
>she's come undone
this one is so fucking funny to me because it literally has a scene where a fat woman meets a beached whale

still pretty good though. 'sgot a nice 'cultural snapshot' feel to it.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.