[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Tropes you're tired of in fiction that need to die
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: generic-tomb.jpg (22 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
generic-tomb.jpg
22 KB, 400x300
ITT: Tropes you're tired of in fiction that need to die

>Old knowledge is always more powerful or superior to modern knowledge

Every fucking fiction series I've ever read has had this. Even sci-fi. Somehow, characters always have to go searching after some forgotten knowledge or item that was more powerful than anything they have in the present day. That's not how technology works in real life at all. Fiction seems to love the idea that technology is declining rather than increasing, even though that's never happened since the Black Plague.

>anyone who sneers or is unpleasant when they are first introduced turns out to be evil

That one's not as universal, but I've still found it in almost all fiction I've read. Anyone who's described with scornful or mean-spirited body language when they're first introduced almost inevitably turns out to betray the protagonists or be on the evil side in some way in most fiction. That's not how human nature works at all.
>>
>>7808872

I'm assuming you're talking about like popular fiction? "The Chosen One" has been a crutch for bad-writers who don't know how to explain why the fate of the universe is in the hands of some kids/teens for too long now.
>>
>>7808872
Sounds like genre fiction problems to be honest.
>>
you should read pride and prejudice and be amazed, op
>>
>>7810724
this tbqh
I've never read a book that relied on either of these tropes
>>
Simplistic and incoherent ethical choices. I know I've read books that have it but the best example is literally every episode of Stargate
>Amazing technology or something else
>No, that's bad!
>Back to the status quo

I mean obviously, but still, couldn't something interesting happen for once?
>>
>>7808872
The first make sense if there was a big Apocalyse
>>
>>7808872
>
Every fucking fiction series I've ever read has had this. Even sci-fi. Somehow, characters always have to go searching after some forgotten knowledge or item that was more powerful than anything they have in the present day. That's not how technology works in real life at all. Fiction seems to love the idea that technology is declining rather than increasing, even though that's never happened since the Black Plague.

True, I find this to be a rather idiotic thing, a cop out to be used by luddites, or a quick macguffin. That being said, those negativities usually result when using some old knowledge or object is not applied properly. Fredrick Phol uses this old knowledge and dead technology trope rather effectively in his Heechee sequence books.
>>
>>7811695
I fucked up the format of that.
>>
Why aren't good guys in popular fiction ever consequentialists or utilitarians? baka
>>
>>7808872
>Thats not how technology works at all
>Thats not how human behavior works at all

Sounds like you have everything all figured out
>>
This obsession with identifying and cataloging "tropes" is detrimental to the creative process
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.