[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the major books about the power/authority in philosophy,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: aut.jpg (6 KB, 261x193) Image search: [Google]
aut.jpg
6 KB, 261x193
What are the major books about the power/authority in philosophy, psychology, sociology, etc?

for example: I want to understand the relation between dominant and dominated, the origin of the power, its importance, etc.

thanks
>>
foucault
>>
File: pomo.jpg (28 KB, 524x524) Image search: [Google]
pomo.jpg
28 KB, 524x524
Pretty much everything by Foucault later stuff in particular
>>
Nietzsche
>>
Foucault, but when you read him keep in mind that literally all his historical "examples" are fictional.
>>
How the Mind Works
>>
Regarding economic power, 'Debt: the First 5000 Years' is probably not a bad shout.
>>
the spook of identity is developed by difference.
those differences lead to division in society, compartmentalizing people into classes and categories.
those classes and categories are then ranked and Ordered on a hierarchical scale based on how closely they conform and assimilate to the dominant ideologies of the social system in which they are situated.
those who conform and assimilate to these ideals find social acceptance while those who deviate from them are labeled as outcasts or deviants.
people also desire power due to the fact that they live in such a power system, crowning themselves fascist kings or queens in their own ideological land of illusions.

in short, identity creates differences, which are used to create power structures. people then interpret their cultural power systems as signs of truth due to ideology, making them enslaved to the concept of power.
power itself is a fundamental spook most people can't learn to see past.
>>
Hegel.
>>
>>7807972

Source for this claim?
>>
>>7807929
The Sane Society touches on this in its social analysis.

Anything Marxist related would cover a lot of this.
>>
>>7808008
that's all foucault wrote about for his whole career u fucking dummy, jesus christ
>>
Gustav Le Bon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crowd:_A_Study_of_the_Popular_Mind
>>
>>7808054

I haven't read Foucault, so I'm not sure if he openly uses fictional examples.
>>
>>7807946
Can I understand him even if I didnt started with he greeks?
>>
>>7808498
This dude (>>7807996) basically explained the gist of it.
>>
>>7807996
I dont know if I underdtand it well.
The people in power are the ones who get to decide the dominant ideology in the first place. And then you scale the social position based on how much you conform to the norm?
Isnt that you get power by simply getting power? (Money)
>>
On Power, Bertrand de Jouvenal.

Leviathan, Hobbes.

The Prince, Machiavelli.

The State, Franz Oppenheimer.

Anti-Oedipus, Deleuze and Guattari.
>>
>>7808512
>The people in power are the ones who get to decide the dominant ideology in the first place.
Not always. Most of the time, the people in power are unknowingly enslaved by the ideology of their society without even being aware of it; they interpret it as truth. Ideology is subconscious, after all.
>>
>>7807929
machiavelli
locke
hobbes
rousseau

those types of guys all talked about power and the state. it was the issue of the day.
>>
>>7807929
Murray Rothbard, Frederick Hayek, and Ludwig von Misses
>>
>>7807929
Zizek
>>
>>7807996
this fails to mention biological determinants though. That argument explains the justification of power, but not why hierarchical structures of power appear in the first place.
>>
https://web.archive.org/web/20150315003211/http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2012/09/the_nanny_state_didnt_show_up.html
>>
>>7808475
he doesn't do that exclusively, ignore other pissbaby anon
>>
Vampire Queen's Servant - Joey W Hill
>>
>>7807996
why is power a spook?
>>
>>7810501
Cuz it's something that doesn't work if it doesn't seem legitimate for those who participate on it's game, whether those are oppressed or oppressors
>>
File: veblen.jpg (156 KB, 580x672) Image search: [Google]
veblen.jpg
156 KB, 580x672
Check out Thorstein Veblen's theories on economics/sociology

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Theory_of_Business_Enterprise
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Theory_of_the_Leisure_Class

Capitalization is a pecuniary transaction whose magnitude is determined by an "appraisement of the gain expected from ownership." Anything which can yield an income can be capitalized. Capitalization unlike the marginalists or Marxists believe doesn't neccesarily have anything at all to do with ‘output’, ‘production’ or ‘serviceability’.

The value of tangible assets merely represents but does not measure the potential serviceability of them. Intangible assets, such as goodwill or patent protection are never identified with potential serviceability but with factors affecting the distribution of wealth but they are capitalized as a differential advantage and in themselves can become a tangible asset according to the exigencies of pecuniary calculation.

Capital and accumulation thus is somewhat freed from any tangible material base since value can go up or down without equal increase or decrease in the amount of material objects underlying capitalization.

A corporation is just an incorporation of credit, capitalized on the basis of the funds invested and to the amount of its prospective earnings capacity. Inasmuch as the corporation is organized for profit and not for industrial production per se, this type of organization should be viewed as a strategic institution controlling the productive capacity of industry for profitable ends. Business must of necessity limit industry in order to be profitable and it does so chiefly through the unemployment of industrial capacity. Corporations at the strategic or tactical center of the interdependent industrial system have incredible leverage to control the system towards profitable ends through the strategic use of sabotage. The level of sabotage increases or decreases according to time and need and subject to the level of prices and anticipated profits.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.