[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm starting to write a novel, and I have a number of main
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3
File: j2Y27TL.jpg (21 KB, 552x424) Image search: [Google]
j2Y27TL.jpg
21 KB, 552x424
I'm starting to write a novel, and I have a number of main characters. Need help with deciding how many characters I should go with. The book would be going very in depth with each one and how they interact with each other.

Also, each of these characters represent an "emotion". For example, I have one the represents ambition and purpose. Any suggestion for other aspects I should focus on for different characters?
>>
File: serveimage.png (450 KB, 1600x1000) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.png
450 KB, 1600x1000
Wow, Anon, that sounds like a totally rad original idea!
>>
>>7807548
I've had this idea years before the movie came out. The emotions are supposed to be subtle, something that the reader has to think about, but clear when pointed out. Every character would act like a normal person, but some aspects would be stronger than others
>>
>>7807602
>>7807548
which in turn was a direct descendant of the tv show herman's head. it went into his psyche where 4 characters represented his id, ego, superego, and anima. or hell, even sex in the city had the four main characters based on astrological elements, earth, air, fire, and water.

i'm sure there are other examples, op's idea is just a variation on the use of archetypes, but execution is what matters, not the concept. you can have the best idea in the world and make it garbage by not knowing how to create characters and conflict with depth, or bungling the narrative structure.
>>
>>7807690

My problem with OPs idea is that he's probably not gonna be able to write deep characters because, by making them archetypes, he will probably end up having to flatten them out to get the point across.
>>
File: color_pie.jpg (86 KB, 498x500) Image search: [Google]
color_pie.jpg
86 KB, 498x500
How about pic related~

As with everything, the idea has already been done a number of times. But go ahead. It’s not terrible.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.