[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
when did you find out you were a shit or good writer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 11
when did you find out you were a shit or good writer?
>>
>>7806149
you can never know that, OP
>>
When everything I wrote was received with the same enthusiasm as the dead rabbit a dog brings you.
>>
Who cares anon. They are all plebs anyway.
>>
In junior high i started getting positive reactions from teachers about my writing. Some of us are just born with it.
>>
>>7806948
that's a better sentence than any I'll ever come up with.
>>
>>7807028
i'm so sorry
>>
My short stories I've passed in for my fiction workshop has been relatively subversive. However those that have negative feelings about it feel so in a stronger manner than those who enjoy it.
My professor generally enjoys it, but I've found workshop professors are either bitter and hate everything or will urge you to keep up the writing without really telling you if your writing is good or not.
>>
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 398x594) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 398x594
2nd grade. My parents got a call about a spooky story I wrote that spooked my teacher. Every single grade school English teacher since had called my parents.

I was a nude Miley Cyrus swinging on a wrecking ball in my uni writing class and I was in charge of the school's magazine.

But hey, one of my ancestors has streets named after him in Europe, and statues of him in both Europe & America because of his lexical ninja stars. It must be genetic.
>>
a short story i wrote in high school.
teacher praised my ability to create an interesting and unique character voice and it was easily the best of the class.
>>
>>7807119
post something you wrote pls
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>7807164
1/2

Please keep in mind I was in 2nd grade.
>>
>>7806948
so at least you were enthusiastic about it
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>7807191
2/2
>>
>>7807192

It was all based on or inspired by a psychotic break I had that felt nearly like a religious experience.
>>
Das pretty good for a second grader.
>>
>>7807205
Lol, basically. I had awful nightmares and night terrors as a kid. My parents thought I was possessed. As in, they consulted our church about it. (They're retarded.)
>>
>>7807191
>>7807196
I kinda like it

The whole thing could make a soild creepypasta
>>
I wrote a short story for the first time ever and felt imminently doomed to write shit for the rest of my life, I'll still try to get published I guess?

People irl try to comfort me and tell me I have a certain something and it feels earnest but I'm not happy with my skill
>>
>>7808431
This.
Most normies I know think I'm hot shit when it comes to writing, but I'm not entirely sure if I'm even above plain shit.
>>
mummy always put my stories on the fridge with a magnet and give me a tummy-rub for being such a special boy
>>
Ya'll some pussy, ass, niggas.

Write what you want, fuck the crowd.

Art is subjective, so no one can truly "judge" you.
>>
>>7808569
You can't fuck the crowd if you want to fuck the crowd though senpai.
>>
File: 1428806847053.jpg (59 KB, 500x610) Image search: [Google]
1428806847053.jpg
59 KB, 500x610
>"If you hit him when you aim, it'll just be luck." He was speaking, communicating, and yet not breaking the spell. I then broke it. Quite deliberately. "How can it be luck if I aim?" I said back to him, not loud (despite the italics) but with rather more irritation in my voice than I was actually feeling. He didn't say anything for a moment but simply stood balanced on the curb, looking at me, I knew imperfectly, with love. "Because it will be," he said. "You'll be glad if you hit his marble - Ira's marble - won't you? Won't you be glad? And if you're glad when you hit somebody's marble, then you sort of secretly didn't expect too much to do it. So there'd have to be some luck in it, there'd have to be slightly quite a lot of accident in it."
>>
>>7808569
it clearly doesnt work for you
>>
>>7808569
Worst post I've read in a while. Kill yourself, my man.
>>
The day Hilary Putnam died. I don't know if it was good or not.
>>
>>7808601
Suck, mah, dick.
>>
there was just some moron in that thread that got deleted that didn't know democracy started with the greeks even though democracy is a greek word, faggots like that will never be good writers.
>>
File: beethoven.jpg (1 MB, 1200x1443) Image search: [Google]
beethoven.jpg
1 MB, 1200x1443
>>7806149
>4th grade English teacher asked if English was my second langauge I was so shit
>Senior year in HS teachers would wank over my work
Idk somehow it developed
>>
>>7808609
jesus man everything youve posted suggests you should be on facebook or worldstar or something instead
how did you even fucking find this place?
>>
All the professors I showed my poetry to liked it.
But I still don't think I'm very good.
>>
>>7806149
When Amazon approved my ad that called my own self-published book a "literary masterpiece" that will be recognized as "the greatest artistic achievement of the 21st century".

Clearly, they agree and I'm already canon.
>>
I've had several well received writing prompts on reddit.

Is this a good way of gauging ability?
>>
>>7809752
hmm
>>
File: 1434732600503.jpg (68 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1434732600503.jpg
68 KB, 1920x1080
I wrote a dialogue for school (as a homework (each pupil had to) and it was supposed to be performed (the whole thing was canceled)) and every reader laughed at it.
>>
i wrote a monologue in high school that got nominated for some award and i performed it in a theatre with like 500 people there

i still think im shit t
>>
>two years ago
>some competition for stories shorter than 250 words
>two stories per competitor
>make up two things, send them in
>out of 2000 entries, both my stories make it to the top 50 longlist
Felt good mane
Didn't win anything though and the stories that did were way better than mine.
>>
>>7806948
A dead rabbit is a god tier thing for a dog to bring you desu. My grandparents would have been proud of such an animal. I think you're looking for the mangled mouse the cat leaves on your welcome mat.

N-not saying you're writing's bad though...!!
>>
>>7806149
People say I'm good, though I know I'm shit. Perhaps thats a confidence issue, but at least it is that thought, that forces me to push myself.
>>
>Sunset found her squatting in the grass, groaning. Every stool was looser than the one before, and smelled fouler. By the time the moon came up she was shitting brown water. The more she drank, the more she shat, but the more she shat, the thirstier she grew, and her thirst sent her crawling to the stream to suck up more water.

That's when I found out I was a shit writer.
>>
>>7810230
i liked it desu senpai
>>
>>7806149
>when did you find out you were a shit writer?
every day
>>
>>7806149
I've always been the best of my classes in writing tests and was always the English teacher's favourite student.
That's how I know I'm a shit writer.
>>
When people kept telling me I was a good writer
>>
File: IMG.jpg (568 KB, 1728x2880) Image search: [Google]
IMG.jpg
568 KB, 1728x2880
>>7809744
Proof that I'm not just shitposting.
>>
>>7810230
I get what you did there friend.
>>
>>7810337
We all did, anon, we all did.
He is, after all, a shit writer.
>>
When everything I wrote got treated as gospel.
I don't even know what's so special about the writing
>>
File: desu.png (442 KB, 600x458) Image search: [Google]
desu.png
442 KB, 600x458
>>7810216
>>
>>7810355
I made that post and I have honestly no recollection of saying desu.

I am officially spooked.
>>
>>7810358
We all are scared of our own brain when we realize we only see and remember what we think it's better.
>>
>>7810355
I didn't even see desu

what the fuck is going on
>>
>>7810329
Post ad
>>
>>7810355
>>7810370
You think you're hard motherfucker?!
You trying to tell me I'm a desultory writer?!?
I'm throwing down the gauntlet!
I'm bringing out the gage!
Put 'em up, put 'em up
I'll roast your whole squad,
I'll crawl down your chimney like Santa with a magic bag full of whoopass if I have to!!!
I'm coming for you!!
>>
>>7810389
Desu.
>>
File: Christmas Nagato.jpg (623 KB, 764x1052) Image search: [Google]
Christmas Nagato.jpg
623 KB, 764x1052
>>7810396
Firing up the ouija board as we speak.
>>
>>7810389
>You think you're hard motherfucker?!
>You trying to tell me I'm a desultory writer?!?
>I'm throwing down the gauntlet desu!
>I'm bringing out the gage!
>Put 'em up, put 'em up
>I'll roast your whole squad desu,
>I'll crawl down your chimney like Santa with a magic bag full of whoopass if I have to!!!
>I'm coming for you!, desu!
FTFY
>>
>need to write research paper for college English 2 on a short story of our choice
>choose "the swimmer".
>basically shit out the essay the night before
>get a 96%, the highest grade the class
>professor calls me a "gifted writter" when he handed my essay back
So this is basically what inspired me to do creative writting. Keep in mind I do go to community college, so I may just be the least bad writter, and essays are way different then creative writting, but I figure this is as good an excuse as any to try writting.
>>
>>7808431
haha dont give up on it because the very first thing you ever did was bad. It's a skill you have to develop, not a personality trait.
>>
>>7808716
yeah, practice can do things like that.
>>
File: 1442298200104.jpg (104 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1442298200104.jpg
104 KB, 633x758
>>7808595
>>
>>7808595
Oh no
>>
When I realised using the thesaurus didnt make my prose any better, it just made me sound like more or a twat
>>
>>7810389
I doubt you'll roast my WHOLE squad, I roll a hundred deep,
Though your shitty prose is so verbose it put them all to sleep.
Throwing down what gauntlet, bitch, you mean your wanking glove?
Or the other one, which up your bum, you always seem to shove?
You WISH you were desultory, at least then you'd be a writer
To even be a chimney sweep you'd need to be quite brighter
Come down with a "magic bag"? Well, that'd make me smile
Shoot you soon as look at you, you fucking paedophile
In short, you don't wanna fuck with me, nor fuck with my crew
I wrote this whole post just to say a single thing: Desu
>>
>>7810384
It doesn't launch until Friday.
>>
>>7806149
When I was a kid I guess, its never a final question, you might get an idea but you'll never know how good or bad you are really, some people just need to find the right type of style or content for their writing for it to be good.
>>
>>7811359
not true anon, use it even more and you will become canon ;)))
>>
I got a B+ on my paper today.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.