[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what's the /lit/ way of learning a new language?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 3
File: 1457802268991.jpg (42 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1457802268991.jpg
42 KB, 600x450
what's the /lit/ way of learning a new language?
>>
>>7805739
shitposting in a imageboard of the lenguage that you want to learn, i learned english that way and im currently shitposting in german imageboards.
>>
>>7805751
What German imageboards?
>>
>>7805753
http://afaegypt.org/
>>
>>7805739
>what's the /lit/ way of learning a new language?
pretending to know it along other ones on imageboards

trust me, i'm fluent in five languages
>>
>>7805772
Dank meme bro
>>
>>7805772
Am I on a watchlist now or something?
>>
>>7805739
depends on your age first of all, have you even heard of critical period hypothesis?
>>
>>7805751
Link to ancient Greek imageboard
>>
>>7805924
What is it? Excuse me for not clicking on any link in here.
>>
rhizomatically
>>
>>7806881
I don't know. It's some Egyptian organization and everything's in Arabic. They have an English option and it's seemingly some sort of Political Action Committee or whatever their equivalent would be.
>>
>>7806853
that's bullshit
>>
>>7806925
go on lying to yourself
>>
>read a book in that language no matter how long it takes you
>second book will take a little less time
>third book will take even less time
ad infinitum
>>
>>7806959
This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. You need so many basics to even start a book in a new language.
>>
>>7805753
that one where wojak meme came from
>>
Would you guys recommend learning historical languages first? such as: greek, latin, then french, german, etc?
>>
>>7806976
minus 1 year that you're gonna spend on basics but thereafter the anon that wrote this is right
>>
File: 1455009085083.png (313 KB, 506x518) Image search: [Google]
1455009085083.png
313 KB, 506x518
>>7806976
Not really. I can translate a sentence of a language I haven't read before relatively quickly.
>>
>>7806984
why would you need to learn an extinct language first?
>>
>>7807001
You could read historical text in their original languages and better understand them.
>>
>>7806984

no
>>
>>7807006
Do you even realize how may hours you should've spent in order to do that? wouldn't it be better to try to master french instead?
>>
>>7807019
Well languages have always interested me, so it sounded worthy. So no on learning Latin? Why not learn those two, and then being able to learn romance languages easier because of it later on?
>>
>>7807025
actually that would be much easier if you start on french from the vary beginning. How many languages do you know by the by?
>>
>>7807043
fucking typo, i meant very
>>
>>7807025
If you're really interested in Latin, then learn it. It would undoubtedly make learning French, Spanish, Italian, etc easier, but don't learn it just to learn those languages. If that's your goal, go straight there.
>>
>>7807043
One lol. Took french in high school though. Am considering trying to pick it up again next semester at Uni. Why would it better to just learn french?
>>
Ok I've been living for about 3 months in Sicily and I understand pretty much everything when someone speaks to me but speaking is still somewhat hard(I studied some italian in the past)

What could I read that is easy? Does int has threads in italian, the other night I saw a thread on b in italian and was able to read through it just fine
>>
>>7807049
i didn't mean 'just' learn french but instead that you're not supposed to learn another one in advance of french if your goal is of course fench itself
>>
>>7807055
int has italian threads yeah
>>
>>7807062
Nah. As many languages as possible is my goal. Really, 1 language from each continent is my main goal. I just thought it would be easier down the road to learn more difficult languages by starting off with Greek and Latin, specifically Latin. That would also allow me to read original texts in those languages too
>>
>>7805772
oh no no no no no no

why did you make me click that
>>
>>7807206
what was that? i didn't click it yet
>>
>>7807076
You should probably learn an easy language as your first though, it is well known that the first time you learn a new language will be the hardest.

So if you learn something really difficult like a East Asian language or Russian etc then its very likely you'll give up.

So perhaps learn something easy at first(ofc it depends on where you're from) such as Spanish or German etc
>>
>>7807224
i'd say if you're from
canada - french
usa - spanish
europe - german mostly but you have more options
>>
>>7807070
Will they accept me? I'm from the whitest country of latin america.

Do you know any easy books?
>>
>>7807252
they don't even accept each other, so I doubt they're gonna accept you
>>
>>7807276
Seems about right, thanks
>>
>>7806984
Latin may help especially if you intend to learn multiple romance languages afterwards. Greek won't have as much applicability in that sense, and has a narrower window of content created, since Latin was used so much later.
>>
memrise then I started cheap books (German)

I have a strong yet rudimentary understanding of sentence structures and the like. Gendered nouns can be a bitch tho lol.
>>
>>7806853
Didnt that leap forward into the idea where adults, after totally immersing themselves in a foreign language, would learn that language as easily as a child would?
>>
>>7807727
The idea is that children aren't afraid of making mistakes; it's expected of them.
Adults tend to be more withdrawn when they feel out of their element.
>>
>>7806984
I learned Latin and Greek (the latter now mostly forgotten), then French and German.

I'd say I have two major recommendations: #1 is that the first language you learn should fundamentally be one that can keep your interest for a long-ass time, and that has texts you actually want to read. Every step of learning a language seriously enough to read literature or philosophy requires long hours of sedimenting it with relatively easier texts. Languages like French and German definitely have plenty of texts at every level to keep you occupied, whether your interest is in important philosophers or literature or even pop culture, whereas (by comparison) Greek or even Latin won't have enough texts for everyone's interests. Just keep that in mind. You don't want to start learning Latin full of enthusiasm for being patrician, and then realise 8 months into it that you're fucking bored of a stuffy classical language that has no real novels to speak of.

#2 though is that learning Latin (and Greek, if you're REALLY a certain kind of person) is a great way to learn how to learn a language. 98% of modern/living language methods that you'll see advertised are either outright scams or complete garbage that try to teach you purely by "immersion" or something. They are marketed to lazy people who are happy lying to themselves that they know Spanish because they tried Rosetta Stone in 2008 and they can still kind of remember how to say three sentences. So you're already avoiding 98% of the shit right there. On top of that, it will teach you how to learn from the grammar up, which is a great method. And on top of that, it will teach you to focus on reading before focusing on speaking, and reading literature in particular, which a) may be up a lot of /lit/ users' alleys, and b) is also badly underrepresented in commercial materials, because most things assume you want to visit Berlin and stick hot dogs up your ass or something rather than reading Nietzsche some day.

tldr; Latin is a good start if you know for a fact you will stick with it. I'd say try Greek after Latin - its corpus is a lot more limited and stereotyped, and its early learning phase is very morphology-heavy. Once you hit the post-textbook plateau in Latin, when you start reading real texts (through graded readers, Loeb editions, etc.), try out a grammar-intensive French/German method.

Also recommend: Sandberg's German for Reading / French for Reading. Not THAT grammar-heavy, but good crash course that gets you really reading ASAP. Hard to find the originals in print now, but easily pirated (google/libgen).
>>
>>7807055

i read kids books and then once theyre easy (couple of books generally) i move on to crime fiction

this is usually after having tried hard to know all facets of a language's grammar
>>
>>7807754
Not the person you're replying to, but thanks for the helpful post. Do you keep up with your Latin? What and how often do you read? Do you mostly turn to Loebs, or other (non english) dual language texts?
>>
>>7807786
>a language's grammar
can you at least speak english?
>>
>>7805739

Buy a proper textbook, practice whenever you can.

I learned Nipspeak, for example. I work over there 4-6 months every year doing some teaching.

The best way is to just work your way through a proper textbook (most come with useful CDs/etc nowadays), and to immerse yourself in it whenever you can.

I have some Japanese friends on Normiebook, for example, whose posts I'd read whenever they came up to practice reading.

You actually have to live a language. It's not just something you can look at for half an hour and then forget. When I was learning basic nouns, for example, I'd then make a conscious effort to use them in daily life.
>>
Since we're on the topic of languages, I'll go ahead and ask. Currently trying to learn German with the Memrise app, which is a great tool for the memorization of certain words and phrases. It's also nothing like conventional teaching methods which has lessons and such, so I find this to work better for me. Unfortunately, it's not really as informative and comprehensive when it comes to grammar as I wish it'd be. What would best supplement my learning? Keep in mind, I still have an incredibly basic understanding of the language, so trying to read a text would be futile.
>>
>>7807252
>whitest country of latin america
Which country?
>>
>>7808033
not the anon from above but i guess he meant Uruguay
>>
File: book.jpg (9 KB, 191x293) Image search: [Google]
book.jpg
9 KB, 191x293
if you really want to learn a language, follow this guy's method

if you just want to tell people you're learning a language, download one of those apps or some "japanese kanji teatime" podcast or some shit and listen while you're eating a sandwich
>>
>>7808048
Close, Argentina but I think you did that on propose.

>>7807786
Can you recommend me authors for those genres?

I think I might be at the level to read crime fiction since my mother language is spanish
>>
>>7808086
That book is total shit lad.
>>
>>7808118
ur total shit m8
>>
>>7808086
Why are you praising the method?
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.