[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some books about characters that feel worthless and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: panerabread.jpg (43 KB, 608x515) Image search: [Google]
panerabread.jpg
43 KB, 608x515
What are some books about characters that feel worthless and have few redeeming qualities?
>>
L'etranger
>>
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 640x1136
>>
my diary t/b/h
>>
>>7805540
I was told by multiple people that I reminded them of Holden. I was sad when I read the book and they were right.
>>
>>7805545
My therapist told me I reminded her of Elliot Rogers.
>>
>>7805545
same. i don't enjoy things and im annoyingly cynical. just a shit person with no direction
>>
>>7805532
The Corrections
>>
Senility, by Italo Svevo.
>>
Your biography
>>
>>7805532
> that filename
>>
>>7805532
Notes from Underground is the obvious suggestion in such cases.
>>
>>7805532
>>7806086
For a contemporary, "alt lit" perspective, try Sam Pink. He's more or less interchangeable with any of the others from that bunch. Just don't expect to get the same quality of writing as with Dostoyevsky.
>>
No Longer Human
>>
>>7805550

Get off alcohol
>>
>>7806111
Trips are right
>>
Steppenwolf, Oblomov
>>
>>7805532

Frederic Moreau from Sentimental Education is utterly insufferable and nauseously sappy.
>>
Here are some I have at hand:

1. The Book of Disquiet by Fernando Pessoa

>"I never found convincing arguments for anything other than inertia, and over time I became ever more keenly, sullenly aware of my inertia as an abdicator. Seeking out modes of inertia, trying to avoid any kind of struggling in life or social responsibility - this is the substance from which I carved the imaginary statue of my existence."
p.219

2. Good Morning, Midnight by Jean Rhys

>"Well, that was the end of me, the real end. [...] Saved, rescued and with my place to hide in - what more did I want? I crept in and hid. The lid of the coffin shut down with a bang. Now I no longer wish to be loved, beautiful, happy or successful. I want one ting and one thing only - to be left alone."
p.37

3. En Route by JK Huysmans

>"But the two other causes which he knew, must have been still more active. These were his disgust for his life, and his passion for art; and the disgust was certainly aggravated by his solitude and his idleness. [...] His life, now without an anchor, drifted; he wandered all astray, declaring to himself that this desolation was final, since he had reached an age at which new friends are not made."
p.18 / 19

4. Diary of a Country Priest by Georges Bernanos

>"In a flash I saw the sadness of my adolescence [...] My youth passed me by, as many strangers pass so closely who might have become brothers, yet disappear for ever. I was never young because I never dared to be young. Around me, no doubt, life went on and my companions knew and tasted that wondrous bitter spring, while I tried not to think of it and drugged myself with work.
p.235

5. Preparations for the Next Life by Atticus Lish

>"The world was dull or annoying to him, and she was just like any other female, he felt: she had certain functions. [...] The loss of this feeling horrified him. It was yet another thing that didn't work for him. When I was younger, I always wanted to be in love with somebody someday. The thought that that was over, that I couldn't feel that anymore, this really hit me hard. It took my hope away."
p.205

6. The Pigeon by Patrick Suskind

>"the flames of anger, this last flash of individuality, died within him. And while he mechanically scaled the three steps, the last remnant of his hate ebbed away , and once at the top, with eyes no longer spewing venom and rage, he looked down into the street with a kind of broken glance. It seemed to him that these eyes were no longer his own at all, but rather that he was sitting behind his eyes and peering through them as if through dead, round windows; yes, it seemed to him that this whole body enveloping him was no longer his, but that he, Jonathan - or what was left of him - was nothing but a tiny, shrunken gnome inside the gigantic structure of a strange body, a helpless dwarf imprisoned in a human machine grown too large..."
p.64 / 65
>>
>>7806019
that's why I'm asking familia
>>
>>7805532
>panera bread
LOL
good stuff, OP
thoughts on his latest album with Jesu?

Jason Compson from The Sound and the Fury seems as unredeeming as it gets, but he does take care of his brother so there's that.

btw, film equivalent of what you're looking for: David Thewlis character in Naked.
>>
>>7806835
I haven't listened to it yet desu but I should
>>
>>7806899
good stuff. lyrically in the vein of Universal Themes. musically, most of it isn't my cup of tea. Jesu's distorted soundscapes don't really add much, but Mr Panera's acoustic work is great in the latter songs.
>>
Journey to the End of the Night

by celine dion
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.