[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Eastern Philosphy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: Bhagavad Gita.jpg (23 KB, 307x499) Image search: [Google]
Bhagavad Gita.jpg
23 KB, 307x499
What are the essential texts of Eastern philosophy?
I am currently reading through pic related and the Analects. What else should I read after I am done.
>>
>>7805407
hagakure was an interesting read.
>>
>>7805415
Hagakure was pagan-morality garbage
>>
>>7805407
murakami
>>
>>7805419
I liked it but still true

muh "dying for the master is the only thing in life"
>>
Shambhala by Chögyam Trungpa.
>>
>>7805407
>Analects
don't waste your time, read the Dao De Jing and Zhuangzi
>>
>>7805516
Why is Confucius a waste of time?
>>
>>7805516
Agreed, there's a lot of strange fluff about how people should get married, and other awkward advice he had no business getting into.

Read cherrypicked quotes by Confucius. Maybe not as practical, but you'll get the best of the best.
>>
Upanishads>>>>>>>>>>>>>Gita
>>
>>7805538
btw, t. Chinese.

I admire Confucius, but the Analects is too long and unrewarding compared to Zhuangzi and Lao Tzu.
>>
>>7805546
I thought the Analects were fairly short. I found that the majority of the text is commentary, rather than the words of Confucius himself.
>>
>>7805560
Yes but when coupled with Zhuangzi and Lao Tzu, editions of him ought to have their fat trimmed.
>>
>>7805536
hey man, basically what >>7805546 and >>7805546 said. Confucianism is basically authoritarianism, and unless you're a member of the Chinese communist party, he won't really make you a believer.
>>
>>7805568
I thought the communist party essentially banned Confucianism for decades and has only recently promoted it.
>>
>>7805407
>The Upanishads
>>
>>7805407
Easwaran panders to christians.
>>
File: _bDG35LncH.jpg (388 KB, 640x800) Image search: [Google]
_bDG35LncH.jpg
388 KB, 640x800
>>7805407
Bhagavad Gita, Pali Canon, Zhuangzi, Daodejing, Upanishads, the Mahayana Sutras, some books on Zen and Chan, I-Ching, chinese classic novels, a little bit of Zen/Chan poetry(A Drifting Boat: Chinese Zen Poetry, Ikkyu, Han-Shan, haikus), Chinese poetry (Red Pine's books, Five T'Ang Poets).
>>
>>7805536
Confucianism is just: authoritarianism, respect the elders, earn money and power, work hard and don't think too much.

Better spend your time on the Dao or Buddhadharma
>>
File: 1454941270896.jpg (247 KB, 1602x1069) Image search: [Google]
1454941270896.jpg
247 KB, 1602x1069
Road to Heaven: Encounters with Chinese Hermits is a nice, pleasant book that you can read while reading about Eastern Philosophy.
>>
Nagarjuna - Mulamadhyamaka-karika (Root Verses on the Middle Way)
Chandrakirti - Madhyamakavatara (Introduction to the Middle Way)
Shantarakshita - Madhyamakalamkara (Ornament on the Middle Way)
Maitreya - Abhisamayalamkara (Ornament of Clear Realization)
Maitreya - Madhyantavibhaga (Distinguishing the Middle from Extremes)
Dharmakirti - Pramanavarttika (Commentary on Valid Cognition)

Gampopa - Dwags po thar rgyan (Jewel Ornament of Liberation)
Gorampa - Lta ba’i shan ‘byed (Freedom from Extremes)
Tsongkhapa - Lam rim chen mo (Great Exposition of the Stages of the Path)
Tsongkhapa - Rigs pa'i rgya mtsho (Ocean of Reasoning)
>>
>>7805407
Mo Zi.
>>
Is there a more sensible set of texts than the Pali canon? Everything besides it seems incredibly out there. Looking at you, Lotus Sutra.
>>
>>7806012
it's more than just a translation?
>>
I know that there are plenty of Indian schools of philosophy that deal with logic and epistemology. Is any of it worth reading or is there nothing there that western philosophers haven't discussed as well?
>>
>>7806335

The Pali Canon is the shit indeed
>>
File: twobobs.jpg (58 KB, 618x339) Image search: [Google]
twobobs.jpg
58 KB, 618x339
>>7806089
Nagarjuna.. nagarj.. nagarjuna work here anymore anyway
>>
>>7806031
>Confucianism is just: authoritarianism, respect the elders, earn money and power, work hard and don't think too much.
Those sound like a solid set of principals to live by.
>>
>>7807248
>Indian schools of philosophy that deal with logic
I'm also interested in this. The wikipedia article is confusing as fuck.
>>
>>7805541
You got a good translation?
>>
>>7807588
Easwaran -- just don't get his Dhammapada.

>>7807248
>>7807534
I'd read an overview of Indian Philosophy first, then you can see who to look into/if it's worth your time.
>>
>>7807097
His intros are aimed at a western audience. You can skip them.
>>
>>7805407
First you need to explain what you mean with "Eastern".

§1 China.

In the Chinese tradition there is native philosophy from the Warring States period and Buddhism, which got attacked or appropriated from the native standpoints. I'm not dropping names here because I don't want them to become a meme on /lit/. If you're too lazy to pick up a book you may at least want to use google.

§2 Buddhism versus Hinduism

China was not isolated from India. It's just that, for the Hindus, Buddhism is one of their "medieval" schools of thought (term used in a book I've read. In Europe at that time you had the Classical Antiquity), along with Jainism, which is alive and well, and certain movements dead except for scholars. This "medieval" philosophy had it's jargon and would discuss some similar ideas, so that even Non-Buddhist scriptures sometime were mistaken and adopted as Buddhist ones abroad.

§3 Buddhism versus Christianity

Imagine Buddhists as the people who have not read the bible but for some reason are obsessed with, say, Nicolaus Cusanus. So they might pick up on some of earlier theologists, even Jewish or Muslim ones, presuming them to be fellow Cusanists because they do sound like Cusanus a lot.

§4 The Vedas

In India you first read the Vedas. The Creation Myth and the Psalms are, for example, the Rigveda. The important Upanishads are (mostly) early philosophy, like the books of Solomon. Some Upanishads were written much later but that's tl;dr. Look up in wikipedia which ones are the important ones and click on the other ones, too, for the lulz.

§5 Vedic Sanskrit

The Vedas have not been deciphered yet and there is no such thing as a decent translation. Problem is the Hindus did not start studying Sanskrit until they stopped understanding it so that the scholars from europe would provide better readings using comparative linguistics than the native tradition of India. But those scholars turned out to be asshats most of the time, liberally mixing their new discoveries, their wishful thinking and the Hindu readings they decried just two pages ago. This is why on modern websites the Sanskrit glossaries have such a bizarre variety of possible readings for every term.

§6 Epic literature

After the Vedas you have the great Indian Epics.
>>7805541
No it's not like the Bhagavad Gita is worse. It just presumes you have some background knowledge (see above)

§7 Later developments
Then you have medieval philosophy talk about before; you get the caste system; you get schools centered around the different possible readings of all of the above and finally it's prayers or plays written by educated people for other such educated people.

Is anyone actually interested till this point or am I talking to a wall?
>>
>>7808352
Gud read
>>
Anybody know how "In the Buddha's Words" by Bhikkhu Bodhi is as a book to get someone into Buddhism?

I heard on /lit/ that the book is controversial in how the content is translated.
>>
>>7805536
Have you been to Korea?
>>
>>7805682
Because they only now realised Communism = confucianism
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.