[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does this movie make justice to David Foster Knowles?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
I watched this dung days ago and I was horrified. They portrayed one of the best authors in history as a television-addicted Chad wearing a silly bandana and spouting superficial gibberish about candy instead of adressing his history and how he became an edgelord. It is pure pop meme.

I saw myself losing interest in the characters. Nothing happened in the movie. I never felt the emotional connection between those two. I never saw depth in their conversations. They talked about worthless trivia.

Perhaps it is the fault of the real life interviewer and the movie just had to be accurate with its endless pointless shots of people getting in and out of cars where the emotions should be.

Either the movie is awful or the interview was awful. Perhaps even both. But I hated this dull peace of crap.

Any Infinite Jest fans had the same impression?
>>
>DFW, a flawless physical Teutonic specimen, portrayed by a fleshy-nosed, puffy lipped Jew

That's the real infinite jest.
>>
https://medium.com/@breteastonellis/thoughts-on-david-foster-wallace-and-the-end-of-the-tour-by-bret-easton-ellis-fc9ba2d76d84#.91c3w8io6
>>
File: 1-neanderthal.jpg (34 KB, 780x520) Image search: [Google]
1-neanderthal.jpg
34 KB, 780x520
>>7805260
>Teutonic

Neanderthalic, more like.
>>
Have you read "Although Of Course You End Up Becoming Yourself"?
>>
>>7805275
Neanderthals died out from a lack of sex, DFW was enough of a douchebag to hump his female students.
>>
Because he was a human beink like all of us
/tred
>>
>>7805281
Is it any good? I haven't but was thinking about it.
>>
I liked it, I cried at the end
>>
>>7805263
Shit, this is great. Thanks anon.

As a DFW fan who has never read BEE, I admittedly wrote the guy off after he trashed Wallace on twitter, but the honesty and thoughtfulness of this spot-on (even [or maybe especially] the negative parts) piece redeemed him for me.

Still don't get how a smart dude like that "couldn't find a way into" IJ. It's a book, just fuckin read it.
>>
they do a good job of portraying him as both likable and an image obsessed pedant who's creepy about women. Have no idea why articles thought he came off as a venerated saint in the movie.
>>
>>7805350
>White Tao Lin
>smart
Pick one.
>>
>>7805359
Because they didn't actually watch it. They probably just watched the trailer and called it a day. In other words

Fire The Bastards 2: Sincere Boogaloo
>>
>>7805318
It's a transcript of the long interview/dialogue

The movie takes its dialogue from the interviews in that book, so if you disliked the movie's dialogue you'll dislike the book too
>>
>>7805366
I mean, keep in mind that the only thing I've read is that medium essay eight minutes ago. He sounds like a discerning, introspective fella in there anyhow. Can't speak to his fiction though.
>>
>>7805374
From what I've seen, the movie truncated or just plain skipped over a lot of it though.
>>
>>7805377
Anyone can post stupid shit on Medium. Even getting it published there isn't all that hard.

I mean, just look at this thing by that one guy who keeps spamming his self-published books here

https://crossingenres.com/semi-solid-3c79dacc8ae3#.1hcelylp9

Apparently, this was considered good enough to publish by Medium standards.
>>
>>7805394
Ya man, I know how Medium works (kind of). It's just like a long form twitter, yeah? I think anyone can literally post anything there just like on a blog (as you demonstrate with that ridiculous number bullshit), except it just won't get attention if it's shit. Or rather it won't get attention from people who aren't into shit. Anything by a published author or other public figure is bound to get clix.
>>
meh, im going to give it a watch or rather watch 5 minutes. when is the best part?
>>
>>7805409
The way it works is that you can either independently put things out like blog posts or tweets, start your own publication, or submit your shit to a publication that's already out there.

The thing about what I posted was that it actually got published by one of the bigger "serious" publications there. BEE just put his essay out like a blog post, but that thing was approved and put out by a publication.
>>
>>7805378
No shit. It's a 2 hour movie about an interview that lasted 3 days.

I like all of DFW's writing and I liked End of the Tour. It seemed like a really sincere (heh) attempt at painting a portrait of Wallace for the average viewer that hasn't read him. Segal did a suprisingly good job, though yes, he really should have lost some weight for the role.
>>
How/where are you guys watching it? I really wanna see it, but it's not in any of the stores in my town. I guess I could order a copy off amazon...
>>
>>7805715
DFW wasn't that skinny in the 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwfQl2LGhwc
>>
>>7805745
I saw it in a theater when it came out in the summer. Though I live in NYC and even then that was like the only theater showing it in the entire city.
>>
>>7805756
Yeah, I live in the deep south, there was never a shot in hell down here for a theatrical release...
>>
>>7805745
just pirate it like a rational person
>>
>>7805767
I figured as much. Even here, the release was extremely limited.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.