[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much slogging will I have to do if I plan to read the whole
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: eyeoftheworld.jpg (56 KB, 309x475) Image search: [Google]
eyeoftheworld.jpg
56 KB, 309x475
How much slogging will I have to do if I plan to read the whole wheel of time series in one run? High/epic fantasy generally isn't known for it's brevity, but Jordan's books seem to have a bit of notoriety for it.

Is it worth it? Is it something I should read just by way of being a fan of fantasy?
>>
>Is it worth it?
"no"
>>
I read through a few of them in high school. The books get longer and longer but less happens in each installment. I hope you like descriptions of tapestries.
>>
You shouldn't have to "slog" at all with a past-time like literature. Wheel of Time sucks. There are better books to read. Being a fan of a genre doesn't mean you have to read shit (unless you take a perverse pleasure in subjecting yourself to schlock, in which case go for it).
>>
>>7804692
Read the first few and see if you like it. You can always quit. I'm on number 5 and like it a lot so far.

I understand what people complain about when they say that nothing happens for long stretches, but the description of the world and learning all the lore makes it worth it in my opinion.

The writing is easy to read and very clear. It really doesn't feel like a slog.
>>
>>7804692
First one is actually ok as a standalone, I think the beginning in Two Rivers or whatever it is called is actually the best part. I read the next two, or three, can't remember anymore and while not completely awful, they were not really worth reading. Reading a synopsis of the entire series I'm glad I stopped.

>antagonist is literally the devil
>incompetent man in a black suit
lol so over it
>>
>>7804724
It gets worse.
>>
>>7804692
Just imagine all the great literature you could read instead. Probably 20 of them on the meme chart
>>
>>7804692
>How much slogging will I have to do if I plan to read the whole wheel of time series in one run?
This serious is, what, 12 books? And each are like 800 - 1000 pages? I honestly don't understand how anyone can commit themselves to reading something like that when there is so much better stuff out there. And if you're reading it for cred, why not read something like The Faerie Queen or Mort Darthur for cred instead? I really don't understand "high fantasy" at all.
>>
Turns into a shitshow of unresolution halfway through but where Sanderson picked up with the last three made it all worth it for me. Those were a fucking blast, almost by virtue of how much all the seemingly pointless shit ended up relevant.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.