[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's a word for the stage in which transformation is occurring
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: qt.jpg (275 KB, 1637x2048) Image search: [Google]
qt.jpg
275 KB, 1637x2048
What's a word for the stage in which transformation is occurring but yet to be complete. I'm trying to say in an essay that the 1950's was an anxious time because conservatism was still prominent but there was a gradual shift towards liberalism/progressivism that would later arise in the 60's. The sentence would be something along the lines of
"In the 50's, society was in a state of _____" or
Basically I need a way to say that the transformation from conservatism to liberalism created anxiety.
>>
flux?
>>
>>7804600
I don't think that quite works in the context of what I'm trying to say.
>>
>>7804593

You just say "Society was in the middle of a transformation"
>>
reconstruction
metamorphosis
>>
I think this is what I'm trying to say. A one-word synonym for this would be great
>>
incipient? emergent? neither of those fit your fill in the blanks, but whatever

the emergent liberal/progressive movement created a state of anxiety in '50s America
>>
being screwed over by the progressive agenda which would soon come to fruition?
>>
>>7804593
Transition
Change
Alteration
Paradigmatic shift
Readjustment
>>
>>7804626
Think of it like going through puberty. It's like you're in this half-way point between having hairy nuts and not. So your hormones are everywhere and you're unstable. That's more what I'm trying to say.
>>
You can't always find a single word with exactly the right combination of nuances to completely express your idea. Learn to actually develop your idea with descriptive prose and examples instead of expecting a single perfect word choice to bail out a cliched and vague sentence.
>>
>>7804653
The thing is I have to be really concise with my word limit. But yeah I get you, think I'll just say "The 1950's saw a paradigmatic shift in which conservatism was being challenged by an incipient progressivism movement. This created a societal division from which anxiety emerged."
>>
>>7804671
progressive*
>>
What did Jameson call it where traces of old ideology was in the new ideology or w/e?
>>
>>7804671
>incipient progressivism

>implying progressivism can be not incipient.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.