[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What books celebrate the inherent glory of war and the greatness
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7
File: download (3).jpg (11 KB, 268x188) Image search: [Google]
download (3).jpg
11 KB, 268x188
What books celebrate the inherent glory of war and the greatness of conquest? I'm tired of pacifist borecore
>>
>inherent glory of war and the greatness of conquest
You've never been in a real battle, haven't you?
>>
File: 51PzxzdpvnL.jpg (38 KB, 324x500) Image search: [Google]
51PzxzdpvnL.jpg
38 KB, 324x500
"Hanson is perhaps best known for his 2001 book, Carnage and Culture, published in some nations such as the U.K. and Australia, as Why the West Has Won, in which he argued that the military dominance of western civilization, beginning with the ancient Greeks, is the result of certain fundamental aspects of western culture, such as consensual government and individualism. Hanson rejects racial explanations for this military preeminence and disagrees as well with environmental or geographical explanations such as those put forth by Jared Diamond in Guns, Germs, and Steel."

http://www.amazon.com/Carnage-Culture-Landmark-Battles-Western/dp/0385720386
>>
>>7804041
have you
>>
Dulce et decorum est, retard.
>>
>>7804048
No. (Although my father almost got himself gloriously killed in a war while he was washing his hands in a river.)
Have you?
>>
Maybe the warhammer 40 000 novels?
>>
>>7804041
Is that relevant?
>>
The Iliad
>>
>>7804113
99% of people who think there is glory in war just don't realize the gravity of being in such a situation.
>>
>>7804041
No, but pic related has.
>>
>>7804031
>inherent glory of war and the greatness of conquest
There is nothing glorious about harming your fellow man.
>"No man is an iland, intire of it selfe; every man is a peece of the Continent, a part of the maine; if a clod bee washed away by the Sea, Europe is the lesse, as well as if a Promontorie were, as well as if a Mannor of thy friends or of thine owne were; any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee...."
>>
>>7804031
http://www.goarmy.com/learn.html
feel free
>>
First off, only a psyco would celebrate war, however these writers below are just some who have described war in as a matter of fact and prasied the will to fight as a higher expression of man's greatness

Ernst Junger "Storm and Steel" (Probably one of the most famous war diaries of all time)
Ernie O'Malley "On Another Man's Wound"
Ernst von Salomon "The Outlaws"

"The tradition of nationality, which meant not only the urge of the people to possess the soil and its products, but the free development of spiritual, cultural and imaginative qualities of the race, had been maintained toward the end of our struggle not by the intellectuals but by the people who were themselves the guardians of the remnants of culture"
-O'malley
>>
>>7804113
Yes. My country was in a war 20 years ago. There are still minefields out there, people still don't have limbs and have PTSP and shrapnels in legs, there are still horrifying photos of crying children and stories of massacres and war crimes. I talked with a soldier who fought in several battles and he said that a battle is nothing more than survival. No thinking or pride, just shoot the other guy or he'll shoot you. As I said before, my father was nearly killed there, too.
People who think war is great usually know nothing about it so they romanticise it. Nothing is "glorious" about thoughtless survival, about dropping nuclear bombs on civilians and bleeding to death in a trench because you were shot.

And you, >>7804048, still haven't answered my question.
>>
>>7804146
shut up you fat ugly nerd
>>
>>7804207
boohoo
>>
>>7804160
this guy's got it. OP is an edgelord
>>
>>7804031
There is nothing great about slaughter, no glory in carnage. Sooner we acknowledge this the better.
>>
>>7804031
fought in iraq 06-07. those who glorify war either never fought in a war or are pyschopaths.

>heres a small secret that i discovered - there is pleasure to be found in killing. Then again my first kill was about 250ms from my position. i cut a dude's legs off with a 240b.
> after the first few, killing becomes banal and routine. i wonder how i would have felt if i was up close and personal though. thankfully will never know. ive moved on.
>>
>>7804031

There's this band called Sabaton you should check out.
>>
>>7804046
Ewwwwweeweeeeeewwww.

This guy dissed the gulf war just so he could make Iraq 2 look good

Fuck him
>>
If you like war and battling try paintball
>>
>>7804031
Of the most well-known, Starship Troopers.
>>
>>7804121

You should probably reread desu senpai.
>>
>>7804041
>>7804146
>>7804160
>>7804207
>>7804160
>>7806205

So many fucking pussies on this board. No wonder they love books so much; reality must have them quaking in their boots.

>“War is thus divine in itself, since it is a law of the world. War is divine through its consequences of a supernatural nature which are as much general as particular. War is divine in the mysterious glory that surrounds it and in the no less inexplicable attraction that draws us to it. War is divine by the manner in which it breaks out.” ― Joseph de Maistre
>>
>>7806252
>everybody is a pussy except me!
>cites the upperclass jesuit pussy who didn't fight a day in his life
>>
File: Tolkien_1916.jpg (99 KB, 327x473) Image search: [Google]
Tolkien_1916.jpg
99 KB, 327x473
It always amazed me that pic related was at the Somme and still wrote scenes of glorious battle against the forces of evil and romantic last stands
>>
>>7806252

How many battles have you fought? You're so cool and manly.
>>
>>7806252

>has never fought in a war
>scolds those who have because they aren't agreeing with the content of his boyhood power fantasies

Massive faggot.
>>
>>7806275
>>7806330

Keep quaking in your boots.

>>7806325

>You must experience something to write about it or admire it

Heh.
>>
>>7806252
Iraq war vet again... I feel sorry for you. Not that you waste our time with this drivel but that you will die ignorant.

Others stated it rightly so. There's nothing there in battle. Courage is just lasting as long as you mentally can. Everyone acts different under the strain.

I had a soldier after his first ied snapped and never came back. My buddy who called in an airstrike on a house full of children by mistake refused to leave his chu for the next three months. Sgt. Camacho who kicked in a booby trapped door - we only found what was left underneath his Kevlar vest.

I coped by abandoning hope that I would survive. Then I was able to soldier.

I remember a quote by pound that I think about still.
For love of war ... Learning later.
>>
>>7806413
lol
>>
>>7806452
>lol
lol
>>
>glory
>in war

Well memed
>>
>>7806413

Lol.

>>7806470

>Glory
>In pacifism

Well cucked.
>>
>>7806473
>implying im a pacifist

Well fallacy'd
>>
>>7806340
>Keep quaking in your boots.
Jokes on you I'm barefoot
>>
>>7804041
I have.
I also had an uncle who fought in 'nam, he told me on what he thought would be his death bed that it was the greatest time of his life. He'd never felt so alive and everything since had been a boring hell.

There are some things that only war can achieve, needs that can only be satiated with violence.
>>
War hasn't always been IEDs and airstrikes, lads. Sure war today has no glory, no greatness, but that's not to say it didn't historically.
>>
>>7806802
yeah back in the day you could be called up by your landowner and get trampled to death
>>
File: Britishness intensifies.jpg (141 KB, 1020x746) Image search: [Google]
Britishness intensifies.jpg
141 KB, 1020x746
>>7806714

Your uncle sounds like a bro.

>Tfw man was made for war
>>
>>7806802
Please
Go back to /b/ already
For fuck sake
>>
Only faggots who cannot discern videos games and fantasy books from reality find any glory in war. This, or they're sadistic/masochistic madmen.
I know Vonnegut is hated here, but I think this quote really fits.

>Perhaps, when we remember wars, we should take off our clothes and paint ourselves blue and go on all fours all day long and grunt like pigs. That would surely be more appropriate than noble oratory and shows of flags and well-oiled guns.
>>
>>7806824
Your ego has tricked you into a very confused state.
You are searching for a meaning, for a satisfaction, but you are looking in all the wrong places.
Military men are satisfied in the clarity of being present and interacting with reality moment to moment.
You must be resonating with that faculty, but it is unnecessary and has extreme consequences.
Is it so difficult to envision living beyond your mind's wants without damaging the progression of mankind?
I do not understand why people consider war and mayhem glorious, can someone please elaborate?
>>
>>7806855

>Is it so difficult to envision living beyond your mind's wants without damaging the progression of mankind?

Break free of your utopian delusion.

We live in an imperfect world; it's funny how you guys forget that utopia can only be reached across a sea of blood.

Unnecessary war is of course wrong; but when it is thrust upon us, we should revel in it.
>>
>>7806846

>I know Vonnegut is hated here

And when you post garage quotes like that, it's not hard to see why.
>>
>>7806859
you speak like a call of duty teaser or trailer
>>
>>7806872
>garage quotes
Tai Lopez? That you?
>>
>>7804031
Journey to the End of the Night
>>
>>7806838
Go back to goddamn facebook. This is a place for literature - is your mind so pathetic you really cannot comprehend the beauty in conflict?
>>
>>7806891

You speak like a faggot.
>>
File: billiges oel.jpg (53 KB, 450x640) Image search: [Google]
billiges oel.jpg
53 KB, 450x640
Can you guys stop discussing whether war is really glorious and great and just discuss books that depict it as such? This is /lit/ and not /pol/, right? I could discuss books celebrating the inherent vileness of sex or the inherent beauty of birth without sharing those sentiments.

I heard In Stahlgewittern/Storm of Steel is quite good.
>>
>>7806317
Those were battles of defense and necessity, not conquest.
>>
>>7806817
FEUDALISM IS THE BEST SYSTEM WE HAVE
>>
File: 1457073005695.jpg (159 KB, 570x875) Image search: [Google]
1457073005695.jpg
159 KB, 570x875
>Everybody in this thread injecting their own views instead of talking about books.

The problem with your request is the ambiguity of how much a book glorifies war vs. how much it denounces it (seriously if you google "books that glorify war" you'll constantly hear how there are so many of these books out there but when asked to name at least one no one does). E.G The Iliad both talks about the heart pumping exhilaration of combat yet also espouses the futility of it. So with that in mind here are some books that I would consider are books on war that are exciting that don't necessarily get stuck on the sheer pain and suffering involved in it:

Carnage and Culture - Victor Davis Hanson
Storm of Steel - Ernest Jünger
Band of Brothers - Stephen E. Ambrose
The Heart and the Fist: The education of a humanitarian, the making of a Navy SEAL by Eric Greitens

Also an essay about why we enjoy war:
http://public.wsu.edu/~hughesc/why_men_love_war.htm
>>
>>7806971
at least I'm not go suck a dick
>>
>>7807067
This.
Do you watch LindyBeige by any chance?
>>
>>7806859
So fucking edgy.
>>
I'm
>>7807067

And I found a few more books that might interest you or anyone looking for the same thing:

-Sniper on the Eastern Front: The Memoirs of Sepp Allerberger Knights Cross

- On War - Clausewitz(read if you prefer more about the grand planning of war rather than one man or a few men's journey)

-Tigers in the Mud: The Combat Career of German Panzer Commander Otto Carius

>>7807087
Occasionally. Why do you ask?
>>
>>7806969
>the beauty in killing people
Maybe you should kill yourself if you find so much beauty in death
>>
>>7807260
He was just saying exactly that regarding the Iliad in a recent video.
>>
>>7807310
There's so much wrong with that response I don't even know where to start. Is this b8?
>>
'son, there is no glory to your pride'
>>
>>7804132
>masshole

Not surprising.
>>
>>7806969
>beauty in conflict?
how does it feel to be a walking cliché?
>>
>>7807922
How does it feel to be blind to one of the most prevalent and fascinating aspects of human life? Where the fuck do you think we are? This is /lit/.
>>
>>7807990
>missing the point
>>
>>7807990
it's sad that you take yourself so seriously

either you have a primitive grasp of the english language, or you really fail to see the insipidness of your own words

what's your mother tongue, anon?
>>
>>7806252
The myth that battle is glorious and war can be a positive experience is nothing more than propaganda created and spread by the rulers and idealouges who can gain from the war to trick the poor, uneducated, and, to the propagandists expendable majority into risking everything for absolutely nothing.
>>
Deployed once to Iraq and twice to Afghanistan. I wouldn't wish war on anyone.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.