[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do all the nasty casual readers like these days? Huh?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6
File: freckledgirlpic.jpg (1 MB, 1118x1670) Image search: [Google]
freckledgirlpic.jpg
1 MB, 1118x1670
> Stephen King
> Huraki Murakami
> random stuff like Catcher, Perks, A Game of Thrones, etc.

I don't spend time hanging around with plebs, so I don't know. Well...maybe I have a rough idea.
>>
>>7803730
id shove all those books up my ass sideways merely to hear her fart through a walkie talkie
>>
File: peirrotlafoupic.png (1 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
peirrotlafoupic.png
1 MB, 1600x900
The love dove? I guess. At least you wouldn't have to read them.
>>
>>7803739
She looks like a 12 year old burn victim.
>>
>>7803746
whats your point
>>
Why are freckles so sexy?
>>
>>7803739

Never change, /lit/.

>>7803730

Check the NYtimes bestsellers, report back with your findings.

I'm betting Stephen King is up there right now.
>>
>>7803739
Kappa
>>
I was in a used bookstore and a guy was looking for gunslinger books by Steven King. He was talking to me as if he is part of some literary elite because he reads Steven King, telling me how he owns and had read nearly all them. Then he began to lament at the fact that his daughter doesn't read, "kids these days".

I'd guess most readers are like that.
>>
>>7803784

This comment is more a story about you than him.
>>
>>7803797
Tell me what it says about me
>>
>>7803890Punk. Fuck your ass. I could tie you up. Fist full of flowers I present to you. I could open and give or clench, crush, and destroy those flowers as I strike you.

Tred lightly in the shadows, mack!
>>
>>7803730

>What do all the nasty casual readers like these days? Huh?

"The plebs you will always have with you." - Jesus Christ
>>
>>7803890
Kind of says you who aren't willing to accept people who aren't as patrician as you (by your judgement of course).
>>
File: Best Sellers.png (155 KB, 1154x824) Image search: [Google]
Best Sellers.png
155 KB, 1154x824
>>7803759
>>
I think I read that the favourite book of the youth is that stupid book by Zoella which she didn't even write herself
>>
File: Agnes Varda.png (2 MB, 1316x960) Image search: [Google]
Agnes Varda.png
2 MB, 1316x960
>>7803730
I do enjoy Murakami and in fact own The Perks of Being a Wallflower (catcher in the rye 2.0). I have however an acidic hate for GoT.. I think it doesn't undermine in the slightest my enjoyment of what I consider to be superior literature nor does it make me a 'casual'. Also OP your high-art/low-art advocating of cultural separatism just makes people look like fucking upper middle class brats.
It's not a 'pull-your-cock-out-see-who-can-piss-the-furthest' contest.
>>
>>7803730
There's pictures of that chick from The Hills reading Murakami down by the pool, so Murakami is 100% a pleb tier writer.
>>
>>7803730
What's the problem of reading casual /lit/?
Do you really expect ALL people to consume the highest forms of literature? REALLY?
Your life is a delusion.
>>
>tfw reading murakami right now
Fuck I'm pleb
>>
Hesse
Proust
McCarthy
Nabokov
>>
>>7805467
drop that shit and start ulysses
>>
>>7805469
B-but I'm enjoying it.

Surely books are meant to be enjoyed right?
>>
>>7805476
>reading for enjoyment

sure is reddit in here
>>
>>7805457
>Do you really expect ALL people to consume the highest forms of literature?

yes

I dream of establishing a city state where philistinism is outlawed and subject to corporal punishment

children start in the kindergarten with the greeks and over the course of their mandatory schooling(until 18) they will be given an extremely comprehensive philosophical education

at the age of 18 they are held an extremely thorough written examination where both their knowledge of philosophy and the capability to use critical thought & generate original, valuable thought are tested

failing the test will mean spending a year in a readjustment camp, after which the examination is held again, and if they fail again, they are exiled.

every citizen is also subject to yearly tests to see that they are following the highest standards in autodidactism so that they won't stagnate

it will be illegal to import any kind of anti-intellectual or lowbrow content and techniquess for internet blocking will be imported from china and north korea

onwards, towards a nation committed to enlightenment. as the world burns in the flames of degeneracy, it will be a serene oasis that will uphold and safeguard the sacred values of philosophy in the original meaning of the word
>>
>>7805506
muh philosopher kings
>>
>>7805506
Congratulations, the Jesuits already tried this.

You know what that gave us in the modern world?

Joyce's self insert getting farted in his face by his wife.
>>
it's pure genre/supernatural stuff these days no?
>>
>>7805483
>sure is reddit in here

the classic "easy win" argument.
Never change, /lit/.
>>
David Foster Wallace
Thomas Pynchon
Karl Ove Knausgård
Don DeLillo
Cormac McCarthy
Roberto Bolaño
George Saunders
>>
>>7805544
Sure is Reddit in here.
>>
>>7805468
This, more or less.
>>
>>7805468
>>7805835
except only mccarthy and nabakov apply to OP's question
>>
>>7803943
Anyone reading Stephen King as serious literature is objectively a plebiean.
>>
>>7806429
it's plebeian, pleb
>>
>>7803988
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en
>>
>>7805506
And yet, even in this paradise, you will still find people sneaking off to closets to masturbate.
>>
>>7803730
I think more and more people are reading Zizek, is he pop-phil now? Like Chomsky? And Russell Brand?
>>
File: lqyEsIX8rYcx.jpg (127 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
lqyEsIX8rYcx.jpg
127 KB, 1024x576
>>7803730
wew
>>
>>7803730
/people who have never even known someone who has almost published a book mocking published authors/ is what this board should be called.
>>
Damn, I don't know man. We all can't be as good at reading as you.
>>
>>7805506
Do have any idea how mentally unstable that society would be? You're basically describing a hyperbolic version of Japan.
>>
There are degrees and types of 'readers'
>the people who read Murakami and King and hate 'normal' people who just post shit on social media
>people who evolve the last tier and become booktubers/bloggers
>the people who read Pynchon, Wallace and other meme authors so they can be unique and contrarian, hate on people who read King and Murakami
>people who read all kinds of stuff, learning and not hating anyone. Read for personal satisfaction and knowledge
>people who don't really read, have a big backlog of books that will probably never read, spend time shitposting and searching for more books to read
>>
Potok, Smith, Beard
>>
>implying people even read that level of stuff

Coloring books are the current thing
>>
>>7805506
>at the age of 18 they are held an extremely thorough written examination where both their knowledge of philosophy and the capability to use critical thought & generate original, valuable thought are tested
no one at the age of 18 is actually capable to come up with actual critical thought and generate a valuable idea, sorry
>>
>>7805506
But if you forced everyone into such rigorous education I'd no longer be able to coast as seemingly intelligent while putting in no real work.
You don't get my vote.
>>
>What do all the nasty casual readers like these days?

Anyone who reads fiction is by definition, a pleb.
>>
>>7803730

Do you hang out with anyone, or is /lit/ your only friend?
>>
>>7808612
>people who don't really read, have a big backlog of books that will probably never read, spend time shitposting and searching for more books to read

that hit home
>>
https://books.google.com/books?uid=8375521784440169268&as_coll=1002&source=gbs_lp_bookshelf_list&hl=en

you lads forgot that the plebs assembled their top 200 books after they saw /lit/ top 100?
>>
>>7805476
Of course, my God, to read without joy is stupid!
-John Green, 2012
>>
>>7805818
>Sure is Reddit in here
Sure is Reddit in here
>>
>>7810590
>Sure is Reddit in here
>>Sure is Reddit in here
Sure is Reddit in here
>>
>>7810634
>>7810590
>>7805818

Can I join the karma train? xD
>>
File: 37846923641.png (701 KB, 911x540) Image search: [Google]
37846923641.png
701 KB, 911x540
>>7805506
My, you're just a psychiatrists wet dream aren't you?
>>
>>7805483
>>7805544
>>7805818
>>7810590
>>7810650
>>7810634
Not an argument.
>>
>>7803739
Such thirst...
>>
>>7811061
>Not an argument.

Not an argument.
>>
>>7808612
Underrated
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.