[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the Michael Glenny's translation of Master and Margarita
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 1457802431982.jpg (32 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
1457802431982.jpg
32 KB, 450x600
Is the Michael Glenny's translation of Master and Margarita accurate and superior compared to other translators?
>>
>>7803235
These fucks like it better when its difficult to understand lol
also i disagree with u necessarily stating that one canon of literature can be necessarily superior to another "superiortiy" and "Inferiorty" are just mental constructs and cant actualy be realoverthrow the capitalists#voteberniesanders
>>
>>7803297
>Using hashtag on an image board
Kill yourself.
>>
>>7803350
>using any form of social media where a hashtag is acceptable
kill yourself
>>
>>7803235
I remember reading somewhere that he uses a lot of British-isms and that he skips some passages. No, not the censored ones; apparently Ginny decided to just push under the rug passages that were more difficult to translate.

I got all this from a thread on the Goodreads forum so don't take my word for it.
>>
>>7803841
This is the discussion referred above. Very nice comparison been translations. Read and decide for yourself.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/618738-mikhail-bulgakov-s-the-master-and-margarita
>>
>>7803235
Apparently the Vintage translation is the only one (or maybe one of very few) to use an uncensored and complete manuscript. Good translation, but the textual notes are lumped together at the back with no indicators within the text itself of when a passage has a note, so that's annoying.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.