[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ereaders
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 5
How annoying and ugly are the ads on the kindle paperwhite?

Does the Kobo have any advantages over the Kindle? Such as not having to turn off the wlan to prevent remote detection of pirated content.
>>
>>7802317
Buy a used Kobo, anon. Mine is from 2013 and it's incredibly simple to use. Just plug it into your computer and drag and drop the files into the device. SIMPLE.
>>
>>7802317

>Does the Kobo have any advantages over the Kindle?

no ads
you can drag and drop anything without converting it first
no pirated content detection
>>
For whatever reason I've never gotten ads. Not that I mind I've just never gotten ads or recommended books. For me the paperwhite is perfect.
>>
>>7802349
Sounds like Kobo is the way to go then?

>>7802361
I was just looking at different comparisons/reviews and I did see two prices listed for several Kindles. For about $20 extra, you can get the same ereader without ads. Maybe you bought one without the ads.
>>
>>7802363
>Sounds like Kobo is the way to go then?

I have one and it serves me well.

The ONLY downside is that the Kobo Store is enormously smaller than the amazon one and the ebooks tends to cost more to boot.

But if you pirate them it doesn't matter anyway.
>>
>>7802366
Yea, that's what I read so far. I have a lot of books already downloaded though and would be annoyed if I bought a Kindle and it told me I couldn't read them.
>>
>>7802368

>would be annoyed if I bought a Kindle and it told me I couldn't read them.

As far as I know it doesn't do that, the pirated content detection is only done for the purpose of showing you ads based on what you like to read, for example if it sees War and Peace it might give you an ad for Crime and Punishment, shit like that.

Of course if Amazon felt like it they would wipe your device clean since it's connected to their cloud, but they don't do that.

Basically either a Kobo Glo or a Paperwhite are great choices keeping in mind the pros and cons.
>>
>>7802378
A Kobo Glo is essentially just a tablet marketed as an ereader. Buy a Kobo Touch, OP.
>>
File: 1451205274167.jpg (218 KB, 364x500) Image search: [Google]
1451205274167.jpg
218 KB, 364x500
>>7802317
The ads are no problem for me, they only show up when you put the device on standby and as a lockscreen (there is a little ad at the bottom of the book list page). If you really hate ads, you can jailbreak the kindle, but I really don't believe it's necessary.
>>
>>7802381
How so? I'm not OP, or >>7802378

I'm >>7802363
>>7802368
>>
>>7802363

You can turn off the ads in the Paperwhite, I think. I do not think I ever turned them off, though, since I don't fine them intrusive in the least, and also don't think that 20 bucks more is worth it.
>>
>>7802381
Actually OP here. One can be illuminated at night and the other can't. Isn't that the only difference? They are both eink.
>>
>>7802381
Wut? Think you're confused there m80.
>>
>>7802317
>Such as not having to turn off the wlan to prevent remote detection of pirated content.
is this a thing? I have a Kindle paperwhite and have not gotten in trouble or even a message once, even though I pirate nearly all my e-books.
>>
>>7802378
I never get targeted ads, just crappy romance novels
>>
>>7802317
I usually find online free links for a bunch of public domain books as well as torrents for other books in the form of epubs, to read on my iPad using ibooks. Can I do this with the paperwhite?
>>
>>7802492
yes, you have to install calibre and convert them to mobi or azw3 and send 'em to your kindle
>>
Can't you people pay $20 extra? How poor are you fuckers? How can you even afford an internet conection?
>>
>>7802648

It's not the 20$ per se, it's the principle. I'll pay even more than that provided you don't try to scam me like Amazon does.
>>
>>7802473
They apparently recommend stuff based on your books and people always worry that theoretically Amazon can just decide to throw you out of their service. Hasn't happened though as far as I know.
>>
File: 1350058690214.png (79 KB, 250x238) Image search: [Google]
1350058690214.png
79 KB, 250x238
>buy kindle
>start reading some books
>after 5 pages an ad pops up
>the fuck?
>"please wait 30 seconds to continue reading "
>this happens every 10 or so pages
>>
>>7802664
Should have bought the adless version.
>>
>>7802664
I experienced this too. After going online I couldn't find a solution on how to stop them so I basically just stopped using it.
>>
>>7802664
Hello mister Kobo
>>
>>7802664
just like the linux shills on /g/
>>
I wouldn't own a Kindle because of how hostile Amazon is about file formats. Kindles don't recognize ePub, which is the open and universal ebook format, because Amazon wants to force people to buy their own format, which doesn't work on anything but a Kindle. Yes, converting is a simple matter, but it's beyond the knowledge and comfort level of the vast majority of people, who get locked in to Amazon's ecosystem.
I've had a Nook Simple Touch for about five years--the first one, without the glowlight, the only thing I miss--and I've been very happy with it.
>>
>>7802664
its especially annoying if its something that uses a lot of pages for a small amount of text like poetry. mine doesn't even have a mute option for the ads so people are always staring at me on the tube
>>
>>7802684
for 10$ more a month? Is it worth it?
>>
I don't get why people would even bother buying a kindle. The other brands do the job as well, and you can read every format that you want.
And... Ads pop up while you're reading??? It amazes me how people can even consider the kindle as a possibility.
>>
>>7802745
I think it's a troll. I used to have ad version few years before and ads were only in menu and screensaver, non intrusive at all.
Since I live in Poland I had them turned off for free; anyway my second reader is also kindle and after comparing other brands in store and watching yt reviews I decided to stick with Amazon.
>>
>>7802349
>pirated content detection
Is this legit? I've never heard or experienced anything of it
>>
>>7802778
This thread is 99% troll
There's no pirated content detection, especially not if you keep your device offline
Amazon may delete books from your device that you bought from them, it happened once and caused a huge shitstorm since of all books it was 1984
(the ebook publisher didn't have the rights to it so Amazon deleted all copies from that publisher)
>>
File: 1446757790321.jpg (81 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1446757790321.jpg
81 KB, 625x626
>>7802664
>>7802684
>>7802685
>>7802718
>>
>>7802791
Ever heard of Sesame Credit?

Amazon and the US Gov are already working on their own versions.
>>
>>7802778
Not legit. Something like this would cause trouble in Germany, as you're allowed to copy stuff you own and give it to a small number of people for free (the law doesn't outright tell you a number, but common case law has it that copying stuff for about 7 people is completely legal).
>>
>>7802368
>told me I can't read them
Fuck this meme.
>>
Ads only appear if you connect to your Amazon account and register, if you've done it already and want to go back to no ads without paying you have to factory reset and do not log in.
>>
>>7802317
I own a kindle and have literally never seen an ad. Is this some sort of meme
>>
>>7803057

No, on the paperwhite there are ads. You can pay more to not receive the ads. You must own an older version of the kindle or unknowingly paid more for one to not see the ads.
>>
File: 1457461852398.gif (154 KB, 900x842) Image search: [Google]
1457461852398.gif
154 KB, 900x842
Hey guys, I've got a question about calibre.

Is there a way to send all the books in my calibre Library to my e-reader in bulk, instead of doing it individually?

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>7803057
>>7803068
Some countries (like Australia) only get the more expensive Paperwhite without ads
>>
>>7803161
Are they converted to a format the device recognizes? If yes, then just hold shift and click on the first and last one. Have you seriously been adding the books one by one?
>>
>>7803195
Yes, all of them are either PDF or azw. I haven't been doing that, I just finished managing the metadata of them all. I thubk it worked out, so thank you.
>>
>>7802720
From what I read last night, it isn't a monthly fee, it's about $20 extra on initial purchase (new, obviously) and that's it. Unless I missed some small print somewhere.
>>
>>7802848
If you read my post, I said IF and was replying to someone that suggested that could happen. I've never owned an ereader and trying to learn the pros and cons of the different options before buying my first one.
>>
>>7802317
but the kindle with ads and when you receive it send a message to amazon customer service that you don't like that and you want your money back, they will reset your kindle and turn off the ads. I did that.
>>
>Detection of pirated content

Are you trolling or do people really get this? I've put hundreds on my kindle and none have been detected
>>
>>7802664
0/10
>>
Kobo's privacy policy is Google tier. They gather data on everything you read.

Best off going with Nook, they're $40, have a SD card slot and easily allows you to disable the bloat that's on it.
>>
>How annoying and ugly are the ads on the kindle paperwhite?

I bought the version with ads, got a proxy from a third world country, got into online customer service, asked if there was a way to get the ads removed since none of them actually applied to me, not being a murrican, they immediately said "yeah, no problem" and they deactivated them right away.
>>
>>7804427
The same goes for Kobo or Kindle: Once you've set it up initially, switch off the wifi and just load everything through Calibre from then on.
>>
>>7804510
You don't even need to switch off wi-fi if you don't want to. There's no piracy detection boogeyman.
>>
>>7804510
I'm talking about modifying the device itself. A Nook you can easily go in and disable all the background applications and then being able to install other android apps, Kobos are more restrictive and lead to a shorter battery life.

If you don't have a /g/ itch, then you could pay for more to get less like some apple fag.
>>
>>7802843
>Something like this would cause trouble in Germany, as you're allowed to copy stuff

No, it wouldn't cause any trouble.
The kindle wouldn't stop you from copying stuff, it just wouldn't read it.
It's the same as a video game console which has measures to stop playing pirated content.
>>
So I keep hearing/reading that if you want to get books from places other than the respective Amazon and Kobo stores, Kobo is the better choice. Here I've seen several mention that they have read pirated books on their Kindle without issue.

Can you simply plug in your Kindle and drag books onto them from your computer, or is it similar to an iPod/iPhone that requires some software and syncing?
>>
>>7804592
>Can you simply plug in your Kindle and drag books onto them from your computer
You can, but because Kindle doesn't support ePub you'd usually find yourself converting books to MOBI/AZW3 with a software most of the time. It's not a big issue, really; takes seconds.
>>
>>7804592
>>7804648
If you're using Calibre, it'll recognise whether the filetype is suitable for the device when you transfer the file, and ask if you want to convert it before copying it.
>>
>>7804592
what >>7804648 said. Calibre is a great piece of software, you can even download popular newspapers like The Economist or Financial times in the form of an ebook and read them on your Kindle.
>>
>>7804648
>>7804658
>>7804663
Thanks. I'm leaning towards a Kobo right now. The only downsides I've seen are the "limited selection" through their store (which isn't much of a problem if you can just get books anywhere), and I've seen it mentioned that Kobo customer support isn't great. Going to start watching some more reviews, but so far I'm looking at the Glo HD. The H2O sounds nice but I doubt I'll be spending much, if any, time reading in the rain or shower.
>>
>>7804672
>Kobo customer support isn't great
Yeah, but there isn't really a lot to support. Their product works and I've never encountered any bugs at all. Battery life is bigger than Kindles too, from my (granted, limited) experience.

I got a Kobo Aura HD, but I was able to get it at around 110€.
>>
>>7804545
If they stop you from reading stuff, they either do so by blocking a feature (unprotected mobi support) or by outright saying "This book is pirated" (which in german law treated as an accusation, leaving you open to be sued). So yeah, there would be trouble.
>>
>>7804545
Also, consoles do not block PIRATED content, they block UNLICENSED content. Unprotected mobi actually is licensed for kindle.
>>
>>7802349
Never turn the internet on again on my device
>>
Kobo Glo HD 4GB is $109.99 directly through their site until the 20th. Thinking about getting that.
>>
>>7805427
US only it seems.

I'll probably end up getting a Kindle just because they are easier to find second hand. I've been eyeing the waterproof Kobo though, I like reading in the bathtub.
>>
>>7804406
This, its been appearing in e-reader threads lately and I don't know where from. Kindle does grab metadata from books if you have it linked to your account and gives you purchase suggestions in their app or on their site if you are logged in, but thats it.
>>
why would you want wlan on, on an ereader. i turned it off the day i got my kindle, never turned it on again
>>
Why not just use your phone to read books?
>>
>>7805427
Yep, took advantage of this deal yesterday. I've already got calibre installed and I'm building a library to put on it.
Honestly, when it comes to ereaders, if you're just going to pirate things go with the Kobo since it's less of a hassle. If you plan on buying things, go with Kindle as it is better set up for that.
>>
Speaking of pirating. Am I particularly stupid or is actually somewhat difficult to find literature when it's not bestsellers or the most well known classics?
>>
>>7808193
The former.

What do you have trouble finding?
>>
>>7802317
Kobo accepts SD cards as well
>>
>>7808194
Well it's German language I should have added. Austerlitz.
>>
While we're on the topic, what would you all use for reading PDFs?
>>
>>7808201
English books will be orders of magnitude easier to find, but you should be able to find German books. Try looking on mobilism.org, they have a ton of lesser-known stuff. If not, check the sticky.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.