[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What made you retreat to solitude? Ascetics of /lit/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 10
File: 41PVHDX24CL[1].jpg (29 KB, 314x475) Image search: [Google]
41PVHDX24CL[1].jpg
29 KB, 314x475
So /lit/, as you know to live the truly literary lifestyle (that is applicable for most people on this board) one must embrace solitude.

What compelled you to retreat from society, at an emotional if not literal level?

For me, it was the realization that a majority of people (including all of my friends and family) would lose interest in me, as a friend, if I did not enlist for military service in the time of war.

Really opened my eyes to how evolutionarily molded our psyches can be and therefore how their natural tendencies don't often work out in favor of our happiness, since that is not a factor that caused their existence (some might even say that is their effect, not cause).

Pic related because any discussion on solitude is incomplete without it.
>>
Noone?
>>
>>7802359
This thread is about solitude. Please keep it down, thank you.
>>
>>7802316
Self-contempt, doubt, insecurity, performance anxiety, imposter syndrome, pre-empting the shame of being excluded by excluding myself.

There, now do you have enough of my weaknesses to build a game plan against?
>>
If only to regain that feeling of freedom when you first became conscious of the concept and to be able to return to it time and again when things get too much.
>>
File: 1440877490552.jpg (687 KB, 2000x983) Image search: [Google]
1440877490552.jpg
687 KB, 2000x983
>>7802359
why the hell would an ascetic be on /lit/?
>>
the realization that all the compensations society offers for the basic frustrations it imposes are not enough to live life, plus the taste of what the human experience can actually be when you get rid of those interiorized limited visions of it.

pic related and amongst white clouds are something to check if you enjoyed chuang tzu
>>
>Tfw we will never be free of all these stupid, wannabe-stoic hermits who do not place filiality, tradition and the pursuit of a government position above all else
>Tfw they will never be junzi

t. Confucius
>>
File: 1.jpg (25 KB, 215x235) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
25 KB, 215x235
>What compelled you to retreat from society, at an emotional if not literal level?

when she wouldn't say I love you back anymore
>>
>ascetics aka NEETS with PC and access to literature, all financed by Mom&Dad
kys
>>
>>7802631
that is an amazing painting.
>>
>>7802752

do you have a pdf of these?
>>
>>7803676
http://gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=86c31dc6899f7f8ab41f4b8beedad675
>>
>>7802811
why
>>
Still trying to retreat to solitude here. Could use some advice family.
>>
File: max.jpg (87 KB, 288x420) Image search: [Google]
max.jpg
87 KB, 288x420
lots of comfy taoist discussion on /lit/ recently
>tfw you finally reconcile taoism and stirner
>>
>>7803752

Thank you very much.
>>
How much time do you guys meditate for per day?

>>7805083
Which book of his should I read non ironically?
>>
I would like to retreat into the woods or something but as of now I'm just a shut in
>What compelled you to retreat from society, at an emotional if not literal level?

I still do not know. I think it's always been who I am.
>>
File: ttRmkk3.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ttRmkk3.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
Can someone recommend me some easy book to learn about the Daoism and its practices? I have the Zhuangzi and Daodejing but I want some more modern, easy to read book.
>>
>>7802316
My personality. I'm an introvert. I love being alone. And having dated several girls, I've seen that relationships are too much effort, much less having two monsterous kids like my sister.
Flirting with different qts is most of the interaction that I need but gossiping at work is decent too.
>>
File: 1376273783044.jpg (34 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
1376273783044.jpg
34 KB, 500x373
>>7802811

jokes on you, i get financed with autism bux from the government
>>
>>7802316
autistic brother tried to make me live in his rigid little world & narcissistic father tried to mould me in his image

because of the routine rage and criticism... i developed maladaptive social skills which basically revolved around avoiding notice, escapism, and being left alone...

now i partake in mostly solitary hobbies and have some conditioned emotional responses that people are dangerous and manipulative, and can flick instantaneously from normality to top-of-the-scale autistic rage
>>
>>7805083
>not yang chu
>>
>>7802316
I just like being by myself. I'm married but we are both homebodies and respect each other's space. We can sit next to each other for an hour or more and not say anything to each other and we don't experience any uncomfortable feelings. We get along great.
>>
I detached myself from life in my early teens due to family shit and have never encountered a reason to invest in life again. Occasionally I meet a girl who is beautiful and shows interest in me (this happened very recently) but still I am too far gone by now and eventually they get bored and lose interest in me.
>>
>>7806116
>>7802811
theres not really a difference there. society causes autism as a subproduct of its pursuing certain non negotiable goals, then it has to compensate for it. the state and the family are just two institutions of the same society, even if they are subjectively perceived and experienced quite differently.

like chuang tzus monkeys that are happy or angry with a mere change of name of the same acorns.
>>
>>7802316
My parents said they'll kick me out of the house if I'll deliberately get myself dismissed of service after they found out I met the psychologist and later a psychiatrist in my base (IDF, three years obligation when you're 18. I'm 20 now). They told me I was a worthless lazy guy and completely ignored the breakdown I had in front of them. Blew up any delusion I still had that they're somehow capable of caring about me, and that it was nothing but a will to control my life and have their stupid family game. Wish I had the guts to confront them unrestrained and leave their hole without thinking I have no money and no place to go. But I'm a spineless fag.
Also, in the last months I've been starting to feel a strange sense of detachment and alienation when talking to the few friends I have or to cool people I sometimes meet. I always felt lonely, but I believed I'll be able to meet and befriend people I want.
I can't discern honest interest and concern from mannered formalities, and feel like I'll never be able to truly connect to anyone. But I think I'm gradually beginning to enjoy being alone without craving for company.
>>
File: m.jpg (278 KB, 1219x1517) Image search: [Google]
m.jpg
278 KB, 1219x1517
My own moderate asceticism is mostly one of negative hedonism. In an attempt to diminish my suffering I've sought to diminish my life, in the sense that I make it smaller, simpler and more peaceful.

So far it's working out very well for me, I don't think I have felt this good since childhood. I've done away with most of the vices I've aquired since puberty.
>>
>>7806963
I stopped caring about my parents' thoughts at 16, and got over the lack of emotional care by 19. Terrible times that I don't bother remarking on often. You'll do fine. Carve out your own life, and if you want, raise kids after considering the contingencies.
>>
>>7806056
The Tao of Pooh is standard stuff you can read in an afternoon. Explains Tao using Winnie the Pooh.
>>
The irony is that in explaining, I would be hated on, being othered by the community and thus made more solitary. Suffice it to say that every minute I'm outside I'm at risk of an impromptu shooting spree.
>>
>>7803752
>>7805086

Hey, I can't access the site, pic related. Would it be too much of a bother for you guys to upload it to pomf.is for me? Thanks!
>>
>>7802316
No matter what, my first instinct is to be abusive. I don't _want_ to be that way, but for whatever reason I'm wired to blow up, guilt, hit, and shame people.

It's not really as lonely as I thought it would be. You kind of forget you're alone after a while, and you realize how freeing it is to have no one to perform for but yourself. You don't have to be anything, you just exist. It's very liberating.

>>7805079
Homesteading is pretty much the way to go.
>>
>>7806486
i want this
>>
>>7807261
https://u.pomf.is/icgxnp.pdf
>>
>>7807878
Thanks my solitary friend!
>>
>>7802768
> tfw this slowly occurred to me until one day i completely changed into the person described and I've never read confucious

Wtf anon, what did you make me realize?
>>
File: zhuangzi.jpg (45 KB, 717x508) Image search: [Google]
zhuangzi.jpg
45 KB, 717x508
>>7802768
Stop being so upset fascist man, just take a nap.
>>
File: rodge.jpg (29 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
rodge.jpg
29 KB, 480x640
>>7802768
I just looked up what junzi meant.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.