[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The way you tell a story is more important than what happens
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: 1431386620301.jpg (395 KB, 1065x1600) Image search: [Google]
1431386620301.jpg
395 KB, 1065x1600
The way you tell a story is more important than what happens in the story.

Fight me, /lit/
>>
File: jack.jpg (875 KB, 3000x2046) Image search: [Google]
jack.jpg
875 KB, 3000x2046
why would I fight someone for being correct though?
>>
I'd much rather read an insightful philosophical concept written in greentext rather than a vivid description of your faggotry, homo
>>
>>7802102
this is true
>>
I hate it when I find a girl so attractive that I want to kill myself
>>
>>7802102
Not really but okay
>>
>>7802124
Sounds like you have issues.
>>
>>7802102
everybody here that has been here for more than 3 months thinks this
>>
>>7802128
I do my friend.
>>
>>7802102
"the medium is the message." - mcluhan

how you convey something is what you are conveying. stick with prose. fuck plot. be joycean. however, be aware that you will never gain mainstream acceptance.
>>
>>7802124
i know this exact feel

its pretty bad for me since i see said girl every day and she doesnt even acknowledge me

i thought about it the other day and concluded ive literally never seen a girl who looked as good as she does, not even a celebrity. which only hurts me even more.

I'm trying to write a poem about her
>>
>>7802124
the girl is a spook. desire is a spook in general. tough, but true.
>>
if you aren't enjoying a boring story then it isn't a good book
>>
>>7802148
It's a feeling of absolute inadequacy and uselessness, it's awful. Maybe one day we will overcome.
>>
>>7802102
stories with plot = game of thrones tier shit
>>
>>7802102
You won't find /lit/ disagreeing with you. IIRC Aristotle might fight you, though.
>>
>>7802196
We will brethern.
>>
>>7802102
>The way you tell a story is more important than what happens in the story.

in most literature and literary fiction, yes. in some cases of nonfiction...not necessarily true but how you tell the story is always important.
>>
>>7802102
>t. never-sold-a-copy writer.
>>
I always think of The English Patient
sex
betrayal
espionage
ze Nazis are invading
revenge

christ why is it all so boring?
>>
>>7802156
This.

Read less Tao Lin and more Chuang Tzu
>>
File: buda.jpg (87 KB, 380x480) Image search: [Google]
buda.jpg
87 KB, 380x480
>>7802124
>being this cucked by your baser urges
>>
>>7802102
>Literally style over substance
>>
>>7803881
style is the substance though

it's an exercise in language.
>>
>>7802918
sht the fuck up
>>
>>7802102
>Fight me, /lit/
be a man and fight yourself
>>
one writes with words not ideas

I agree with op
>>
well yeah obviously

>this big epic war happened it was exciting and lots of deep emotions were felt it was so epic holy shit

there we go, i just told one of the most substantial stories ever, however as you can see without any prose it was pointless

whereas there are many books with no storyline that manage to be good
>>
>>7802124
>girl
>>
>>7804287
Do you know something we don't?
>>
>>7804307
That's a trap, fäm
>>
>>7804287
Fine with me.
>>
>>7804320
Post proof
>>
>>7802124
>liking something human
>>
>>7802102

My opinion of music is the other way round. When I am listening to a piece of music, I care less about whatever technical expertise went into the production of that music (the skill with prose-style?), than I do about whether I actually like what I"m listening to, for its own sake (the 'plot'?).

I understand that a cool plot idea becomes dreadful to work through if you are being subjected to shit prose, however. Then it just feels like you're reading a popular movie: capeshit, LOTR, that type of thing. Which as movies however may be very entertaining, if not high art.

I've invoked three separate media, and suggested differences in what is necessary to each. Your novel should aspire to have a good prose style; this is not essential to a screenplay. The visual images, visual-rhymes etc which are brought to bear, to convey the story, /are/ the prose-style of film.
>>
>>7802124
>girl
dude that Charlie
>>
Shallow, surface focused writing will get you popular fast, but if you don't have coherent substance to back it up then you will also gain a lot of critics. In reality you need a balance between both in order to get your message across in the way you intend.
>>
How many people on this board aren't still teenagers?
>>
File: g.jpg (300 KB, 1064x1600) Image search: [Google]
g.jpg
300 KB, 1064x1600
>>7802124
write a short story about it
>>
>>7802124
It its even worse when you are ugly as sin and poor. Not a day goes by without suicide thoughts.
>>
File: image.jpg (230 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
230 KB, 750x1000
Yes and it also depends on the words that you choose to put in it. Nice insight OP. Many thanks. Can we get more of these creative ideas flowing?
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.