[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will reading this be a waste of time?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: in_search_of_lost_time.jpg (153 KB, 800x736) Image search: [Google]
in_search_of_lost_time.jpg
153 KB, 800x736
Will reading this be a waste of time?
>>
>>7801983
No.
>>
>>7801983
Literature-wise... no.
Philosophically... yes.
>>
>>7801983
Yes. He never even finished it.
>>
>>7801983
>translation

yes
>>
the final volume makes it all worth it
>>
>>7802000
http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/how-a-flawed-version-of-proust-became-a-classic-in-english
>>
No, but it's hard. I don't think you'll be able to do it without reading other stuff. Get set for at least a year of saying "I'm reading Proust."
>>
>>7802480
reading 1,000 pages a month isn't too unreasonable. I finished it in 3 on my first
>>
File: loolfuck.jpg (48 KB, 392x525) Image search: [Google]
loolfuck.jpg
48 KB, 392x525
UhH considering you could Read,This?

Yes you moron
>>
>>7801983
disgusting number style
>>
>>7801989
Retard.
>>
File: Gryzor-MuchaFont-Small.jpg (49 KB, 328x285) Image search: [Google]
Gryzor-MuchaFont-Small.jpg
49 KB, 328x285
>>7802629

I didn't have a good impression of that either at first (not OP btw), but they're Art Nouveau, similar to this pic, and totally appropriate in terms of time and place.
(My main issue is with it being six volumes instead of seven.)
>>
>>7802491
BS
>>
File: Marcel-Proust-009.jpg (10 KB, 176x173) Image search: [Google]
Marcel-Proust-009.jpg
10 KB, 176x173
>>7801983
>Will reading this be a waste of... TIME?
>>
>>7802520
Is any of shan's writing redeemable? Or should the nostalgia of his books as an 8 year old be left untouched?
>>
File: poplars-autumn-pink-effect.jpg (955 KB, 1720x2119) Image search: [Google]
poplars-autumn-pink-effect.jpg
955 KB, 1720x2119
midway through volume 4 of the moncrieff-kilmartin translation and I like it enough that I've been considering learning French

book is beyond godlike. shit is inhuman
>>
I read the first 3 and then lost interest, but I'll get back to it someday.
>>
After you finish the whole thing, you're gonna be searching for the time you lost! Ha ha! The jest is infinite. Stay thirsty, my friends
>>
I plan on reading it every year of my life until I die
>>
Our teacher had us read a selection from our Norton Anthology but I think I wasn't interested in it because I knew of the whole work that was out there. A wholeness which we would never have had the time to indulge ourselves in. Should I go for the dream /lit/?
>>
>7802480

I'm on year 9 over here. I learned French between about year 5 and year 7 of reading Proust. Obviously I've been taking long breaks, but there's literally no point in rushing through it.
>>
>>7808748

meant to cite

>>7802480
>>
>>7804761
well jested my fellow sufferrer
>>
File: 4fpcCuO.jpg (236 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
4fpcCuO.jpg
236 KB, 900x1200
>>7802821
Let's say you take a few days off from reading. 1000 pages divided by 25 days is only 40 pages a day. Definitely doable.
>>
>>7801983
I hate the tendency of writers to create fucking mammoth tomes with thousands of goddamn pages. What ever happened to brevity?
>>
>>7801983
After you finish the book, you'll be living the title.
>>
>>7808748
You are the first person I believe has read the whole thing. It took me three weeks to finish Swann's Way, and I still haven't started Within A Budding Grove, despite it being about six months.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.