[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Objetivism or relativism?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
Objetivism or relativism?
>>
Ayn Rand was an idiot.
>>
I chose subjectivism.
>>
Objetivism is a joke.
>>
i can't stand pretending to be a marxist anymore, i think i'm going to have to move to arizona and come out of the closet as a libertarian
>>
File: 1457259149566.jpg (172 KB, 667x999) Image search: [Google]
1457259149566.jpg
172 KB, 667x999
>>7801383
>libertarian
At least choose a good ideology, you dip.
>>
those aren't directly opposite schools of thought anon
>>
>>7801511
Damn then. Everything i know is wrong.
>>
>selfishness
>a commendable trait

Ayn Rand was retarded
>>
The natural world is objective. Relativism is a product of the human mind. Apples and pears, so to speak
>>
>>7801654 A hypocrite too.
>>
>>7801657
But the natural world, an objective thing, is interpreted by the minds of men, subjective things.

Everything we are capable of understanding has at one point been affected by a degree subjectiveness hence why relativism is important.
>>
>>7801698
But some things like "a ball of steel is solid" are completely objective.
>>
>>7801708
If one where told his entire life steel was soft, but never being allowed to see or touch it, they would "know" that your statement is false.

All knowledge is based on experience and ideas, but since none of these can effectively give us "the truth" without error, the idea of the truth itself becomes relative.
>>
>>7801736
Shouldnt "levels of experience" of some kind be included in that? As in, my level of experience since i did touch steel is above the one who just heard about it, and as such he shouldnt consider my statement false.
>>
File: esm7vMq.jpg (35 KB, 519x604) Image search: [Google]
esm7vMq.jpg
35 KB, 519x604
Objectivism leads to the horror known as scientific reductionism.

Subjectivism leads to the heights of disgust known as moral and aesthetic relativism.

Feelsbadman.jpg

Objectivism is probably less pleb though.
>>
>>7801741
>my level of experience since i did touch steel is above the one who just heard about it, and as such he shouldnt consider my statement false
I'm hoping English isn't your first language
>>
>>7801760
It isnt.

But you get what i meant?
>>
I don't think the mind is necessarily separate from the world in a non-trivial way so I don't know if I can accept the objective-subjective distinction as valid.
>>
Objectivism and following ONLY one's "self-interests" (without considering how your actions might affect others) leads to corporations' greedily rape-fucking society.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.