[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will reading this be a waste of time?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 71RJDrk18lL.jpg (181 KB, 1400x2171) Image search: [Google]
71RJDrk18lL.jpg
181 KB, 1400x2171
Will reading this be a waste of time?
>>
it depends on what you hope to get out of reading it
>>
>>7801246
I just want to be more smarter
>>
>>7801243
>>7801261
Have you read much philosophy before this?
>>
>>7801264
Not really. Just Schopenhauer and Nietzsche and some Aristotle.
>>
>>7801243
"existence precedes essence." - sartre. life comes first, then meaning is made. thus, there is no pre-set meaning to existence.
sartre goes on to talk about other crap like how "man is condemned to be free," meaning that man does not want to admit that there is no pre-set meaning to existence (he likes to believe in some theology) so he constantly has an excuse for his actions.
foucault kind of broke the idea of sartrean freedom apart, and even sartre conceded to the idea, realizing his oppressive social systems prevent people from being truly free.
that being said, he's written shorter essays on the subject of existentialism, and those would be better to read, i think.
>>
>>7801278
then your reading of this book shall likely be a waste of time.
if you are interested in the sort of ideas you believe are in Being and Nothingness, try reading about Phenomenology generally on the web. If you are interested in Sartre in particular, I'd recommend his shorter works; grab any collection of essays.
>>
>>7801243
yes, huge fucking waste of time

everything written by sartre is a waste of time
>>
>>7801288
*his=how
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.