[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone on here read modern novels/fiction? Any beautiful
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: 7gnUdfU.jpg (60 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
7gnUdfU.jpg
60 KB, 720x960
Does anyone on here read modern novels/fiction? Any beautiful books written in the past 5-10 years that you'd recommend, or that have become influential?

I read fairly consistently (though not as much as I probably should), but I realized the other day that almost all of what I read is relatively old; I rarely read books published later than the 80s. It's not really on purpose, I just feel a bit more drawn to classics. I'm content reading older books, but as someone who's realized that they're a bit out of touch I'd like to see what's happening in the present.

On an unrelated note, in your opinion must a good writer (particularly) also be educated? Should that education be formal and/or in literature? What would it take for someone to be educated on literature without a formal education?

tl;dr
>What are some great/influential new authors/books?
>What criteria determines if someone is educated about literature?
>>
>past 5-10 years
>"modern"

You will never be patrician desu
>>
>>7800908
>On an unrelated note, in your opinion must a good writer (particularly) also be educated?

If you're not educated you WONT be a good writer. It dosent necessarily have to be formal schooling, but if you have no education you wont be able to properly formulate and develop your thoughts, let alone express yourself in a meaningful way.
>>
>>7800914
Not really trying to be patrician, just wondering what's good out there right now. I'm fine being a pleb, just trying to expand a bit.

>>7800919
How would you define an education and formal education?
>>
Yeah, I do, though I get the impression others here don't much. A lot of people here don't read much at all, I don't think. I like Teju Cole, Zadie Smith, Jennifer Egan, and Pynchon's last couple.
>>
>>7800914
Poor OP doesn't know about the word contemporary.
>>
>>7800968
oh and Elena Ferrante too, if anyone that brilliant was male they'd be discussed on here constantly. She's one of the best living writers and barely ever gets mentioned.
>>
>>7800956

He just means that people have been writing modern literature since at least 1922.
>>
>>7800908
Middle C by William Gass is probs the best thing written this century.
>>
>>7800988
OK, I get that. Contemporary would have been better to describe what I'm talking about.

>>7800968
>>7800977
Will check them out, thanks. I've yet to read anything by Pynchon, but has he noticeably evolved since his most acclaimed work?
>>
>>7800956
>How would you define an education and formal education?
Education can just be self-learning the necessary skills for your career as a writer, a formal education as you can imagine would mean going to school and receiving credentials for what you've learned.
>>
>>7801024
I get what you mean. If you don't mind, in general what criteria would make you educated in that field? Having a wide knowledge and understanding of literature? Just in your opinion, what would you go about learning if you took it upon you to educate yourself?
>>
Read everything in chronological order by David Mitchell. Or if you just want to test the waters, Bone Clocks. If you want something really short and wonderful read Slade House.

I highly recommend reading his stuff in order because they're all loosely connected, and the later books could spoil some aspects of the early ones.

The man is so good at character writing that it's depressing when you're working on your own stuff.

As far as your other question, I think it depends on the person. Some ignorant people have produced some beautiful things, and some over-educated people have wasted their lives on drivel. And vice-versa, of course. Too many factors at play to make any definite statement about that, I'm afraid.
>>
>>7801043
I'll give it a look. The reason I'm asking about education is because while I'm in college now, I don't feel that I'm getting anything out of it, like it's hindering my growth instead of helping it.
>>
>>7801073
Knowing your situation more I feel like I can give a better answer. I think its generally good to be aware of the classics, not saying you have to plod through them all to be a good writer but at least be aware of them and say the history of the authors that you feel most drawn to, in that way you can always return to their works for more depth of insight and inspiration if you feel the need.

The history of literature (and overall history) is generally speaking important to know, but from here this seems morel like academic study than the actual craft, which I think you're more interested in.
>>
>>7800968
Zadie Smith and New Sincerity are trash.
>>
Marlon James
>>
>>7800908
Ron Currie, Jr.
>>
>>7800988
no one says modern in that context you fucking pseuds "Modernist" is what one would call it
>>
I like Neil Peart's book Ghost Rider.
>>
>>7801003
If anything, he's devolved and the general consensus is that his early books were his best. His most recent two are his most accessible though.
>>
>>7801003
Crying of Lot 49 is the most generally supported entry point, but either of Pynchon's last two would be fine to start with too.
>>
>>7800914

>desu

yeah and you sure are faggot

topcringe
>>
>>7800968
retard alert!!!!!!
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.