[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Homi K. Bhabha
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7
File: homi k bhabha.jpg (48 KB, 636x498) Image search: [Google]
homi k bhabha.jpg
48 KB, 636x498
So, he basically just uses Derrida's idea of ambivalanece to deconstruct the politics of identity, right, applying it to the framework of postcolonial studies?

Article from Location of Culture: http://faculty.georgetown.edu/irvinem/theory/Bhabha-LocationofCulture-chaps.pdf
>>
why the fuck would u assume we know who this faggot is?

explain a little dumbass
>>
Looks interesting enough. Would prefer him more as a political theorist to be honest.
>>
>>7800149
This is why engineers make more money.
>>
>>7800167
agreed. edward said did it better, though. bhabha seems (like derrida) to shroud his work in obscurity. there's really no reason for it other than "because it's postmodern."
>>
File: scott_pilgrim_vs_the_world29.jpg (81 KB, 950x514) Image search: [Google]
scott_pilgrim_vs_the_world29.jpg
81 KB, 950x514
>>7800149
His son was good in that Scott Pilgrim film.
>>
File: illuminati.jpg (131 KB, 950x514) Image search: [Google]
illuminati.jpg
131 KB, 950x514
>>7800291
illuminati confirmed.
>>
>>7800156
he's pretty well known throughout the social sciences. just google him.
>>
>>7800149
glad to see Allen Ginsberg is still doing well
>>
>>7800149
he is more historically grounded but yeah basically. babha, spivak and a lot of other post-colonial theorists especially from india draw deeply from the well of derrida. this is due to the timeline of their education and india's decolonization. actually kinda nice imho. derrida has fallen out of fashion and zizek is now the mode for critical theory.
>>
>>7800434
still as Jewy as ever.
>>
Used his work for the basis of an essay on Nationalism. I wish I hadn't looking back now
>>
I feel ambivalent about how this song describes ambivalence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd6eP27WSz0
>>
>>7800149
He's not just repackaged Derrida in postcolonial guise. He also gets into some funky stuff with Edward Soja's thirdspace, riffing off Henri Lefebreve's trialectics of spatiality. Lots of ten-dollar words there, but Baba invokes an interesting aspect of spatial theory to look at cultural fusion in something beyond Derridean deconstruction.
>>
>>7801133
hybridity..
>>
>>7800156
You're right, it's always wrong to assume /lit/ knows shit.
>>
File: ambi.jpg (115 KB, 606x305) Image search: [Google]
ambi.jpg
115 KB, 606x305
Pretty much just reinstating the concept of ambivalence through symbolic metaphors.
>>
File: 1418876253449.jpg (101 KB, 421x539) Image search: [Google]
1418876253449.jpg
101 KB, 421x539
>>7800156
You really have never heard of this guy before?
Go back to Plebbit.
>>
File: Hegel.jpg (309 KB, 1584x1089) Image search: [Google]
Hegel.jpg
309 KB, 1584x1089
>>7803334
>>
File: tumblr_n9lqfzbajj1thjbjao1_400.jpg (21 KB, 279x395) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n9lqfzbajj1thjbjao1_400.jpg
21 KB, 279x395
>>7800451
I'm really surprised that Zizek is taking the mantle, since there still seems to be a large undercurrent against primarily Marxist theoretical bases for a while, and apart from talking about Lacan as well, so much of Zizek's work seems to be pretty standard Marxist readings of things.

Derrida helped provide the basis for moving past Marxism that the Post-colonialists utilized. I can understand why people have gotten tired of Post-colonialism. It becomes very limiting in application, and often it draws very similar conclusions in many situations. Anyway, I feel like it would make sense to try to build off Post-colonial critique, or go back to Derrida, or just try to build a new critical base. Zizek just seems oddly traditional to be the flagbearer. I'm not arguing that he's not. I'm just surprised that he is. I guess it's just his odd charisma.
>>
Bump since many of the scholars here interest me and might help in my future studies.
>>
>>7803401
this.
>>
>>7803401
Zizek is mostly popular due to his own advertising/speaking/getting out there. But its the only way to actually get known
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.