[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get into into poetry? How does one naturally detect
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: Wolf_Larsen.jpg (52 KB, 331x640) Image search: [Google]
Wolf_Larsen.jpg
52 KB, 331x640
How do I get into into poetry? How does one naturally detect metre and what not without having to stumble on a few lines for longer than necessary? What are some good poets to begin with in English?
>>
Bumping because I'm genuinely in need of advice.
>>
>>7797723
ted hughes
dylan thomas
seamus heaney
the truth the dead know by anne sexton
for the union dead by robert lowell
the emperor of ice-cream & the snow man by wallace stevens
hollow men & the waste lands by t.s. eliot
this be the verse by philip larkin
canto 1 by ezra pound
farm implements & rutabagas in a landscape by john ashbery
howl by allen ginsberg
all the world's a stage & full fathom five by shakespeare
my grandmother's love letters by hart crane

this should be enough to get you started
>>
>>7797723
>how does one naturally detect metre
experience. get an easy "metric manual" and try to detect the metre on canon works (avoid free verse for now)
>>
What do you mean by how to detect metre? Just read it, it's literally in the words.
>>
Read poetry out loud to get a better sense of metre.

https://youtu.be/lGuFfps63YI
>>
>>7798245
Thank you, I will check them all out today.
>>7798269
I see. Should I focus on a certain metre for a while so I can become really familiar with it? Is it easy for you?
>>7798296
You know, the same way that someone with some musical training is able to tell in what key a musical piece is played.
>>7798319
That was really useful, thank you very much.
>>
>>7798245
>the truth the dead know by anne sexton

Have I no ear, but is it dimeter dactyl?
>>
>>7798245
Stop recommending extremely difficult poets (Pound, Eliot) to someone who is new to poetry. It doesn't make you look cool.
>>
>>7798666
The metre is irregular. Most of these poems (>>7798245) are free verse.
>>
>>7798674
Honestly, the ones he mentioned aren't bad. Hollow Men & Canto 1 aren't too difficult. The Waste Lands is a doozy, though.
>>
>>7798677
Ah, I was not sure. The first foot is dactyl, right though?

>mfw have no ear for meter at all
>>7798674
Recommend me something more entry level then.
>>
Start with Shakespeare, Milton and Sidney. Move on to the romantics (maybe try some Herbert and Herrick) study sonnet forms and ballads as these poems tend to have more regular metre and can help you learn scansions. Then try some free verse once you get those down. It may also help to learn different verse forms.
>>
>>7798679

everyone on the list apart from eliot and pound, maybe ashbery

yeats, keats, tennyson, frank o'hara
>>
>>7797723
4chanlit.wiki.com/poetry
just read the wiki
don't ever listen to /lit/ about poetry, this board is braindead. you have morons telling you to start with eliot and pound for god's sake.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.