[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pls recommend beginners reading list for economics. Also I'd
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7
File: 0e3.png (187 KB, 600x339) Image search: [Google]
0e3.png
187 KB, 600x339
Pls recommend beginners reading list for economics. Also I'd like to know about the gold standard. Thank you
>>
>>7797590
Buy a fairly newer textbook, make sure it isn't rand/Cato institute trash; which is what you'll likely find if you google.

I learned by lecture, but if you can access j-stor you can learn a lot by reading abstracts.
>>
Start with Adam Smith- Wealth of Nations

The gold standard (or trying to stay on it) is one of the big reasons the great depression happened. If you want to know more about that read A Monetary History of the US by Milton Friedman
>>
>>7797604
>Buy a fairly newer textbook

Anything specific?
>>
Dr Strangelove's Game: A Brief History of Economic Genius, Paul Strathern
>>
>>7797606
Silly

>>7797647
Devil Take the Hindmost is very good, A Random Walk Down Wallstreet is very good, Krugman has a couple of textbooks for undergrads that are easily piratable inb4 crazies, and for practical investing Bogle on Mutual Funds is really good.

For quick reads,

https://www.etf.com/docs/IfYouCan.pdf Bernstein
Irrational Exuberance by Shiller
and Value Averaging by Bernstein
>>
File: dfb (1).png (114 KB, 165x115) Image search: [Google]
dfb (1).png
114 KB, 165x115
>>7797676
>Krugman
>>
>>
File: tom_4b.jpg (26 KB, 240x336) Image search: [Google]
tom_4b.jpg
26 KB, 240x336
>>7799027
Thomas Sowell is the man.
>>
Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt
the title may be a bit misleading, the book is about exposing very commom myths and fallacies regarding economic science, I think it's a nice short read for a beginner to get himself into it
>>
File: LeftiesKek.jpg (52 KB, 881x589) Image search: [Google]
LeftiesKek.jpg
52 KB, 881x589
>>7797604
>Make sure it isn't Rand/Cato institute "trash"
Leftypol pls gtfo.
>>
>>7797604

>I learned by lecture

Of course you did.

Did you swallow everything at the indoctrination centre...er, I mean, university?
>>
>>7800171

How's being a fucking embodiment of every hick stereotype working out for you?
>>
File: alpha_strategy.jpg (40 KB, 336x500) Image search: [Google]
alpha_strategy.jpg
40 KB, 336x500
I highly recommend pic related. it has info about the gold standard, capitalism, inflation, and how you are being plundered by the government.
>>
>>7800188

>

Keep denying that modern universities have an overwhelmingly Leftist slant.

Hurry along or you'll be late for your lecture on LGBTQ Issues.
>>
>>7800188
Is economics class considered a safe space in which conservatives aren't allowed?
>>
>>7799257
For the love of god, don't read this. It's just another neoclassical piece of garbage.

> taxes are bad
> government is bad
> competition is great
> things wouldn't be so bad if markets were allowed to be perfect

There's no analysis, just "common sense" reasoning without anything to back it up, and it was published in an era where people knew even less about the discipline than they do now.

I don't know what would constitute a good start with econ, but I Piketty's Capital in the 21st century might be one. It's long, but he really ventures quite deeply into the foundations of economics before making his points, which are widely agreed upon. Econ is a contentious discipline, just make sure you don't start with anyone that's too far to the right (such as Hayek or Friedman)
>>
>>7800171
> Didn't go to university
> Thinks he's better

What is that, reverse elitism? Talk about a race to the bottom
>>
>>7800200

Not even American. Bonus points in hick sterotypy for assuming so.

>>7800224

Economics is a fucking joke, with about as much intellectual merit as Lacanian psychoanalysis.
>>
>>7800228

You should really take your own advice, and not start with something too far to the left either.

That's why economy is shit-tier academics, and has nothing at all to do with science. It is thoroughly and intrinsically politiziced, and basically no one ever does anything but read works that will fit preconcieved political notions.
>>
Read the principles of economics by Mankiw op, it'll give you basic terms and general ideas of economics without being too biased on either side.
>>
Just use Mankiw's textbook like everyone else. And read The Wealth of Nations.
>>
>>7800303
That's a common misconception. Actually the problem is that everything is politics and not enough science. Piketty is just a run of the mill Keynesian, who just happens to have a lot of data backing what he's saying. He's no Leninist
>>
>>7797590
>Pic highly related
>>
>>7797590
cross of gold speech, william jennings bryan
>>
baby jews, never born
>>
>>7797590
>>>/pol/
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.