[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This man doesn't want you to enjoy things and in only words
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7
File: Adorno.jpg (128 KB, 1024x1115) Image search: [Google]
Adorno.jpg
128 KB, 1024x1115
This man doesn't want you to enjoy things and in only words you're fucking stupid.
>>
>>7797477
*in other words

Fucking phone
>>
File: 1432847106589.gif (2 MB, 400x230) Image search: [Google]
1432847106589.gif
2 MB, 400x230
I already can't enjoy anything.
>>
>>7797477
Jazz fan detected
>>
>>7797477
What would adorno make of Dank Memes? are memes kosher?
>>
it's all just a culture industry. consume, bitches!
>>
>>7797477
Consumerism is good. Capitalism has lifted billions of people out of poverty and all thanks to consumerism. The 'culture industry' is good, there are more cultural choices than there ever where. People in general are more educated. Adorno is just a typical authoritarian statist who wants to impose his worldview on everyone else.
>>
>>7797571
Capitalism creates poverty ya dingus. What good are cultural choices and education when the people who have access to them end up feeling bored and uninspired?
>>
>>7797571
>choices
>>
>>7797655
>when the people who have access to them end up feeling bored and uninspired?
its your fault for being boring/uninspiring. the world is a wonderful place. We are more prosperous than we have ever been.
>>
>>7797682
I'm not bored and uninspired, but a lot of people are. My point is, people are no better off, no more entertained, when they have instant access to millions of stories and songs than when they had to come up with them on their own.

If by "we" you mean "the (wealthy) citizens of first world nations," then yeah, you're right. We're more prosperous than we've ever been. However, that prosperity is the result of slave labor halfway around the world. That shit is definitely not wonderful, and the fact that we all have little choice but to support it should give you pause
>>
>>7797682
>>7797571
These are all thanks to time and technology, NOT capitalism.
take a moment and think what good all the billions of dollars could do for the world, instead of fermenting in the hands of CEOs
>>
>>7797682

Not that guy, but the awfulness of the world is exterior to and precedes whatever capitalist/communist/marxist/"modern political discourse" you may be inclined to use to talk about it, for the purposes of this thread. The terrible behavior of nature is a much larger inquiry which gets outside of politics, and politics may not flatter themselves that they have uniquely captured, or explained it. Rather, biology and psychology are two of the big players.

Women abort babies en masse in both Russian and American society, an alligator tears at a zebra, causing its entrails to plop out. Little kids who literally dindu nuffin get cancer, Pol Pot lived to a ripe old age and died peacefully surrounded by his close ones. And if someone points out the injustice of it all, examines it carefully, then even those who are politically inclined to agree with them can't help their animal revulsion at this negative person. Oh sure, there's pretty patterns once in a while, but that's just window dressing and fodder for mental masturabtion to keep yourself busy. You're alive just long enough to recognize the awfulness of all this, and hope without every really knowing while you're alive, that there isn't a moldy evil god letting it all go on. But perhaps hell really does await afterwards, who knows. And for all anyone knows, maybe everyone just goes to another hell afterwards because maybe there's a fully unjust, capricious god managing it all, which would explain certain things.
>>
Is he the one behind third wave feminism?
>>
>>7797761
Not only feminism, but also Islam and White Genocide
>>
>>7797761
He and his cabal of Jews and useful idiots are responsible for every single teen on Tumblr who acts like a shithead while using social justice as an excuse, every single Twitter dipshit who is vocal about their idiocy and every one who calls me out ever
>>
>>7797571
While I don't like that our planet is gonna be destroyed at least climate change will shut up smug pro-capitalists like you.
>>
File: steffe stek.jpg (38 KB, 553x369) Image search: [Google]
steffe stek.jpg
38 KB, 553x369
>>7797571
>The 'culture industry' is good, there are more cultural choices than there ever where.

>the Fry and Laurie sketch where he's a waiter and he pours a bag's worth of plastic spoons on the table
> Man: What's this?
>Stephen: Your cutlery, sir.
>Man: But these are plastic coffee stirrers.
>Stephen: Yes I know, but at least you've got the choice now. I mean they may be complete crap but you've got the choice ... that's what's important, the choice ...
>(Starting to shout and strangle man)
>>
>>7797725
>muh children with cancer
>>
Threadly reminder that he was a racist bigot who hated black people.
>>
>>7798285
Because that is entirely analogous to choices within a modern market economy.
>>
>>7798823
Which might be the only redeeming thing about the man.
>>
>>7799802

>Analogy's don't count when I say so
>Missing the point of analogies
>>
>>7797477
>This man doesn't want you to enjoy things
I only listen to Schoenberg and Beethoven, so that doesn't really bother me.
>>
>>7799982
>I only listen to Schoenberg and Beethoven
>listen
The orchestras and the recording industry are both part of the culture industry. The only way to enjoy music without betraying the working class is reading sheet music.
>>
>>7799997
But would't I be support ing the sheet music or printing industry if I were to do that? OS there any escape.
>>
>>7800036
Don't buy it. Get it off the internet.
>>
>>7797477

Just relax Anon...
>>
>>7797477
Has anyone taken his ideas further and argued that there has never been any okay music whatsoever?
>>
File: zzzzzzz.jpg (8 KB, 250x247) Image search: [Google]
zzzzzzz.jpg
8 KB, 250x247
>Adorno and Horkheimer had the right insight; I agree with their formal procedure, but as for the positive content, I think it’s a little bit too light. Although all is not as bad as it might appear. Let me give you an interesting anecdote, which may amuse you. Officially, for the youth generation the standard position is “Adorno is bad; he hated jazz. Marcuse is good; solidarity with the students and so on.”

>I know people in Germany who knew Adorno and I know people, such as Fred[ric] Jameson, who knew Marcuse. Marcuse was much nastier. To make a long story short, Marcuse was a conscious manipulator. Marcuse wanted to be popular with students, so he superficially flirted with them. Privately, he despised them. Jameson was Marcuse’s student in San Diego, and he told me how he brought Marcuse a Rolling Stones album. Marcuse’s reaction: Total aggressive dismissal; he despised it.

>With Adorno, interestingly enough, you always have this margin of curiosity. He was tempted, but how does something become a hit? Is it really true that the hitmaking process is totally manipulated. For example, if you look in the Introduction to Music Sociology, in the chapter on popular music, Adorno argues that a hit cannot be totally planned. There are some magic explosions of quality here and there. Adorno was much more refined and much more open at this level.
>>
>>7797477
I had a journalism instructor that looked exactly like him. I told him of his uncanny resemblance to Adorno, so he took a photo of himself (that resembles this photo: glasses et al) and posted it to Facebook.
>>
>>7797698
>people are no better off, no more entertained
this is factually incorrect, as in statistically untrue
>>
>>7802883
Thanks for posting this, nigga. I'm gonna read some Adorno.

Is Zizek this approachable in his books? I always avoid him because I assume it will be Judith Butler-esque LOOK MA, I'M FANCY WRITIN' shit.
>>
>>7802912
It's from an interview. I haven't read any of his books.
>>7802906
According to what statistics?
>>
>>7797571
Brainwashed retard
>>
bump..
>>
File: 1457736503820.jpg (60 KB, 447x637) Image search: [Google]
1457736503820.jpg
60 KB, 447x637
>>
>>7802912
Zizek is more approachable then Adorno
Don't turn them away just because you think they might sound like someone else
>>
what a spook.
>>
>>7797477
He's right about everything.

Btw, he does want you to enjoy some things, kafka for instance. Just not in the way you stupid fucks do.
>>
>>7799802
you're right to say so. thanks for saying so.
>>
>>7802912
>Judith Butler-esque LOOK MA, I'M FANCY WRITIN' shit
it sounds like you've confused your own illiteracy with deliberate obscurantism. try learning something about a field before reading books in that field.

i never understood why people do this. you wouldn't expect to get anything out of a theoretical quantum physics paper without extensive training in theoretical quantum physics. why do people expect to get anything out of reading books on philosophy, psychology, critical theory, or sociology without extensive training in those fields?
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.