[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Paperback vs. Hardcover
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
ITT: We settle this.

Book & prices are arbitrary.
>>
>>7797060
In what do they compete?
>>
Physical is fedora shit
>>
cheap used paperback from online bookstores
>>
>>7797060

Paperback
Pros:
>one handed grip feels better
>lighter

cons:
>gets damaged easier

Hardcover
pros:
>sturdier
>looks better

cons:
>harder to hold with one hand
>heavier
>>
Mass Market Paperback. Cheap, portable, disposable, and, with the exception of Ulysses and some philosophy books, represents all the you'd ever want to own. (Btw if anyone knows a mass market edition of Ulysses...)

Kicker: Carl Sagan agrees.

>>7797060
if books and prices are arbitrary, what's the discussion?
>>
>>7797116
>Kicker: Carl Sagan agrees.
Got a source on this, senpai?
>>
File: 1456185954787.jpg (45 KB, 495x500) Image search: [Google]
1456185954787.jpg
45 KB, 495x500
>>7797106
Hardcover
cons:
>those annoying, pointless dust jackets which become damaged and creased, the instant you try to hold the book
>90% of hardcovers actually look shit without the dust jackets because the publisher assumes you are never going to take them off
>cost more
>less fit into a suitcase for travelling
>limited translations available in hardcover
>>
>>7797186
Says it in an episode of Cosmos (I think the last one).

"There's a fair number of Gutenberg Bibles and first folios of Shakespeare in the world but most of the books you see here [NY Library] are limited editions with very few surviving copies. But there also exists in the world mass printings of paperbound books that I think are still more wonderful. For the price of a modest meal you get the history of Rome."
>>
>>7797213
Thanks, anon
>>
>>7797090
If you think the difference in fedora factor between eReader/physical is anything but negligible, then you must be extremely euphoric
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.