[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>he only reads books someone mentioned on lit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: ass burger watercolor.jpg (1 MB, 2480x3508) Image search: [Google]
ass burger watercolor.jpg
1 MB, 2480x3508
>he only reads books someone mentioned on lit
>>
>>>/v/
>>
What do you pick while loafing around in the book store? A book that looks like every other book on the monthly book list or a book that someone on /lit/ mentioned?
>>
>>7796836
>mfw I never read literature and yet have long conversations about it with friends who read daily, some of them even working in book shops

Pessoa, you say? Why yes, I believe his magnum opus was teanslated as The Book of Disquiet. Have I ever told you about the time Joyce and Hemmmmingway went drinking together?

Life is fun.
>>
>>7796845
I have to admit I'm guilty of this as well - there's literally thousands of books there, and then some of them stand out because I saw /lit/ talk about them. I only get so many tugboatbux a month, and I know my tastes are similar to /lit/s, so betting on /lit/s taste is usually a safe bet.
>>
>>7796836
I honestly have nobody else to talk about literature :-(
>>
>>7798214
>"Pessoa, you say? Why yes, I believe his magnum opus was teanslated as The Book of Disquiet. Have I ever told you about the time Joyce and Hemmmmingway went drinking together?"
>doesn't actually read
You might be descirbed as "unbearably pretensious"
>>
>>7798214
kill yourself pseud
>>
It's worked so far to be honest.
>>
Nobody mentions finnish books here.
>>
>he reads books
>>
>>7796845
I got into the NYRB and Dalkney's recently, and have yet to be disappointed.
>>
>>7796836
am i the only one who does this?
>>
>>7799566
that's because all they do is begin books
>>
File: dawkins.jpg (120 KB, 380x613) Image search: [Google]
dawkins.jpg
120 KB, 380x613
i like to find books on gutenberg that have like 38 downloads and dont even have wikipedia pages and read them start to finish

it feels more personal, like im probably the only person whos ever read it fully
>>
>>7800136
Those books remind me of the ancient tomes published in the early 1900s that cover the walls of cape cod vacation homes.
>>
>>7800117
I do the same. I'm a tasteless kind of person, and the hivemind opinions on 4chan have given me a refuge of sorts for years. I only like books that /lit/ likes, follow politics that /pol/ likes, watch anime that /a/ likes. Sure, there are dissenters, but the overall tone of 4chan lends itself very well to this, moreso than any other platform I've found.
>>
>>7800136

Do you know why everyone hates hipsters?
>>
Goddammit I was trying to get along here.
>>
>>7800255
Why do you care what he feels when he reads such books?
>>
>>7800255
this is possibly one of the worst posts on this site

you're either over 40 or under 16 because no culturally literate person still thinks "hipster" is a meaningful word. how did you find this website even
>>
>>7800858
That's the correct answer.
>>
>>7796836
Yes I do read stuff that I see /lit/ talk about, but what is the alternative?

If you avoid books because you don't want to be a "drone" or whatever, then you are letting /lit/ control you even more.

I can read a book I see on /lit/ and come up with my own opinion, or I can refuse to read a book I see on /lit/, believe it to be bad and let /lit/ be in complete control of my opinion.

Lots of the recommend stuff is very old and has obviously has been kept around for a reason. It is beyond the point of "lol I bet we can trick people into thinking this is good if we pretend to like it."

So maybe I wont like it, but I would say the chances of me liking a classic are much better than just picking up a random book in a store, or judging it solely by the cover and blurb on the back.
>>
>>7800913
You said all that shit when you missed a very crucial keyword

>he /only/ reads books people mention on /lit/
>>
>>7796836
Damn, you're right

Better throw the collected works of Shakespeare, War and Peace and Don Quixote in the trash because I don't want to be "just another /lit/ drone"
>>
File: 1422683482826.jpg (26 KB, 420x360) Image search: [Google]
1422683482826.jpg
26 KB, 420x360
>>7800923
>mfw
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.