[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is she worth reading? Are her huge novels interesting? I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
File: donna tartt.jpg (83 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
donna tartt.jpg
83 KB, 500x281
Is she worth reading?
Are her huge novels interesting?
I've never seen a thread about Donna Tartt so let us have one.
>>
I'd put my dong-a in her tartt
>>
>>7796310
please I want a cultural discussion about her writings and no ad hominem stuff
>>
If you read for plot I guess it's good as it keeps you reading but she's nothing special really.
>>
>>7796329
sometimes I read for plot
sometimes I read to live
>>
>>7796335
Damn
>>
I've heard The Secret History is comfy. Haven't read her though. A few people have said The Goldfinch is really bad, one of her worst.
>>
The Goldfinch is one of the worst novels i've ever tried to read. Literally YA-tier.
>>
>>7796399
and the other novels?
>>
File: Vermont_Fall.jpg (316 KB, 1140x738) Image search: [Google]
Vermont_Fall.jpg
316 KB, 1140x738
>>7796418

The Secret history is god-tier comfy.

>Muh Vermont fall.

>Muh prep school.

>Muh greek.
>>
>>7796438
from god tier to shit tier. Is she bipolar?
>>
>>7796382

I may have been the one who wrote that first sentence. Yes, the secret history is comfy as fuck and it seems like it was written as a /lit/izen fantasy.
>>
>>7796438
>ywn go to a New England prep school
>ywn have your first kiss under red autumn leaves with a tight-bodied brunette from Glastonbury who will go on to play tennis at Wellesley and marry an orthopedic surgeon and humiliate you in a yacht race at Hilton Head 20 years later as you sink into a crippling white wine alcoholism
>ywn wear a tie and blazer to class without being a fedoralord
Hold me brehs
>>
File: image.png (193 KB, 559x558) Image search: [Google]
image.png
193 KB, 559x558
>>7796481
Breh...
>>
File: lost resp.jpg (68 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
lost resp.jpg
68 KB, 850x400
literally I lost all my respect right now
>>
File: novelist.jpg (52 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
novelist.jpg
52 KB, 800x800
>>
The job of the novelist is to help make me comfy.
>>
>>7796481
>>ywn wear a tie and blazer to class without being a fedoralord
I do that
but I'm european and very handsome.
>>
>>7796544
Yeah, it's much more important to engage in masturbatory show-boating for its own sake
>>
>>7796613
we're on /lit/, don't you forget that
>>
>>7796613

lol
>>
>>7796544
>>7796568
Well, at least I won't have to wonder anymore if Donna Tartt is worth my time
>>
>>7796648
All I'm saying is that entertainment is a big part of why people read, and also why people write Most of the stuff people here rave about is incredibly entertaining. Gravity's Rainbow is hilarious, Joyce intended Ulysses to be this big populist novel, etc. etc. Point is, even books with these big avant-garde reputations obviously set out to entertain in some capacity.

Why do people here feel the need to act haughty about literature? Sure, the best literature says a lot about the human condition, but it seems like a lot of you have lost your grasp on why you got into reading in the first place. Don't let your need to feel superior make it impossible for you to actually enjoy yourself (and make you despise those who do), that's no way to live.
>>
I enjoyed all three of her novels
>>
>>7797285
And it is cool
>>
File: classic sad pepe.png (180 KB, 582x562) Image search: [Google]
classic sad pepe.png
180 KB, 582x562
>>7796481
>>
>>7796827
http://www.dalkeyarchive.com/a-conversation-with-david-foster-wallace-by-larry-mccaffery/

read that
>>
>>7796310
you dont need the "-a" your joke still works perfectly fine without it and is more concise, otherwise great cultural discussion, OP is just being childish.
>>
>>7796827

>Why do people here feel the need to act haughty about literature?

Because a large portion of /lit/'s population is 20-something unemployed virgins who have nothing going for them in life except for feeling superior about reading.

When one little thing is all you have you tend to cling onto it like it'd save you from drowning.
>>
>>7796827

I am enjoying myself, when I'm reading good litterature. When I'm reading bad litterature such as Dona Tartt I'm not enjoying myself and I'm expressing that opinion in this thread.

The fact that you think you can make assumptions about my life or state of mind because I dislike a bad author is laughable, you are truly pathetic.
>>
>>7796310
>>7797859
I'd have gone with "döner" instead, although the pronounciation shift isn't perfect either I believe it is more comical and meaty, the "-er" suffix (as transcribed in english parse) approaching other humorous riffs on accents with hints of anthropomorphisation through function-archetype (vaginer, pupper...)
>>
>>7796288
She's kinda like
like imagine eating a bowl of oatmeal right
but it's just oatmeal and it's lukewarm
there's something kinda strangely soothing about it but it's bland and tasteless
that's donna tartt
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.