[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When does your writing stop improving?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: 3318504450_2119feb545_b.jpg (790 KB, 1024x858) Image search: [Google]
3318504450_2119feb545_b.jpg
790 KB, 1024x858
Hey /lit/.

I've been writing roughly 1000 words a day since i was 15. In total, I've written the first drafts of three novels and four novellas, as well as countless short stories and bits of poetry. I've filled 13 notebooks with first drafts written in my awful handwriting.

I've recently finished the fifth draft of what i hope to be my first novel. I've given it to my English teacher who has been kind enough to read and edit it. I've also given it to a former teacher (now a published author, making a living from his book sales) who tells me it is, with some revision, good enough to get published, and has promised to help me with the process.

My question really is when do you know you're ready to try and get published. I look back on what i wrote even a few months ago and i can see easily how much I've improved. What I'm afraid of is, if i am successful in getting published, that I'll leave something in my name that is both inferior to what i hope my writing ability will be later in life and contradictory to my beliefs and personal philosophy, as i have only recently turned eighteen. In short, I am afraid that i will be seen as immature.

I've gone from imitating Pynchon and Wallace to Faulkner and Kafka to David Markson. Right now i read what i have written and i can't tell whose style it is I'm trying to imitate. I don't know if i've finally developed my own style or am simply too short sighted to see the similarities.

What do you think? My main issue is that i am too young, and i'm not sure if i'm ready to publish something i may look back on as a blemish on my record.
>>
When you die or they stop writing, duh
>>
>>7796019
>When does your writing stop improving?
>My question really is when do you know you're ready to try and get published.
These are two different questions.

Your writing will only stop improving when you stop working on improving it, whether that's out of laziness or senility.

You know you're reading to try and get published when you look at a piece of published work and be certain that you're as good as if not better than it, or you've done that and reached a level you're proud of.
Your published author friend will probably help you get something a little sub-par published, do it if you want. Probably best until you're out of school and confident you can get something published without nepotism.
>>
Stop thinking in a larger or career context, just throw at the wall and see what sticks
>>
>>7796041
*ready to try and
>>
>>7796019

can we see some of it
>>
>>7796019

>What do you think? My main issue is that i am too young, and i'm not sure if i'm ready to publish something i may look back on as a blemish on my record.

you couldn't sound more pretentious, the hard part is getting your book published, although the editor will selected the work if its good so you wouldn't have to worry about it looking bad on your "record."...
>>
>>7796019
>i have written 1000 words a day since i was 15. i am still 15. i am a faggot please rape my face
get out op
>>
Hey man, you gotta start somewhere. Maybe pick up a pseudo name later on. If you release some great stuff later on, critics will not emphasize your early works, so the masses will not know about them.
>>
>>7796145
I didn't mean to come off that way, though i do see your point.

Really i believe that I'm still improving. I've revised this thing five times and really I'm ready to move on. But i just don't know if it's as good as it could be.

Also, my family recently came into some financial hardship, and I'm hoping, if i am successful in getting published, it could get me through school with minimal amount of debt, but i don't want to publish something I'm not going to be happy with in a year
>>
>>7796019
bump
>>
>>7796043
^ this.
>When does your writing stop improving?
There is a limit to human creativity because our language is fundamentally limited. So, your writing will cease improving when you encounter that linguistic limitation.
>>
>>7796304

post an excerpt you fucking retard

there's no point telling us your life story for us to try and guess your skill at

just post the first few pages of your fifth draft
>>
>>7796200

>things getting published is given
>things he will get money

top lel
>>
File: 1457616436336.jpg (96 KB, 471x495) Image search: [Google]
1457616436336.jpg
96 KB, 471x495
>>7796174
he said he was 18 bud calm down
>>
>>7796019
Perfection is the enemy of progress, or whatever. You can always become better.
Hopefully you'll always see your last published book as a blemish on your record.
>>
>>7796638
Good post
>>
>>7796019
>18
> published
Who the fuck will criticize a book by an 18 year old boy - just publish the damn thing.

Btw, I want to start writing too, what should i start with?
>>
>>7796731

One writes with words, not ideas

just get to it
>>
>>7796733
I know what you mean, but cmon, It's ACTUALLY impossible for me to just start a place
>>
>>7796750

just set aside twenty minutes/half an hour/an hour each day and write

it doesn't matter if you don't write anything, but sit there for the full time anyways

it's okay to skip a day, but never skip more than a day

in about ten years you'll be good

but it's OK if you don't write, because not everyone is cut out to be a writer
>>
>>7796459
there's no linguistic barrier, what an idiotic concept
>>
post your english teacher's book at least op
>>
>>7796019
Post an excerpt and prove you're not just trolling us
>>
>>7797578
this
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.