[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fight between English and French
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: francais.jpg (360 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
francais.jpg
360 KB, 1600x900
I'm a russian pleb whose father was always taken to drinking alcohol hitting my mom along the way. So i was pretty much like a lowbrow from my very childhood. 3 years ago i somehow managed to realize that i'd like to be studying English. So by using the internet i'd tackled doing so right away, and of course without resorting to any teacher for i'm probably the poorest man even compared to my peers here in russia. Begging your pardon for my bad grammar in advance cause believe it or not I haven't even tried to learn the grammar yet, all that i learn i do in a context, but eventually i will so don't bug me about that, okay? Given the fact that I have recently got an opportunity to come to france, not to mention about love for french classic literature itself, I felt the necessity to learn the language itself for that reason. What I'm curious about is whether or not it would be any harder than english and what are the main differences between french and the latter? Does french have a freer word order? Are genders of nouns hard to memorize, do you have some rules that could help with defining the right one in a certain noun?
>>
Harder than english for sure. Many french words in english, fewer the other way around but since you're probably not going to rely on etymology much that doesn't make a difference from your perspective - your knowledge of english will make learning french a bit easier.
Sentence structure is generally speaking looser in english. French is more flexible than it's given credit for, but you'll see little of that in practice.
There's little to no logic behind the genders. Learn through habit or (like many late learners) get them wrong without missing a beat, it can be charming.
>>
your grammar is pretty fine i'd say

since english is my first language i don't know how it's difficulty compares to french but french isn't too hard to learn especially if you're living in france

in either case good luck with whatever you do
>>
>>7795614
French is much easier than English, much more regular both with respect to morphology and grammar.
>>
File: 1436939705772.png (144 KB, 1103x1416) Image search: [Google]
1436939705772.png
144 KB, 1103x1416
>>7795614
download captvty to watch franch programs. watch especially this guy

http://www.tv5monde.com/cms/chaine-francophone/lf/Merci-Professeur/p-17081-Merci-Professeur.htm

checks the definitions here
http://www.cnrtl.fr/definition/

It is said that french is more rigid on the grammar and that english is more a language of vocabulary.
the difficulties with those languages is the pronunciation and orthographs, since you have silent letters.

if you want to learn about subjuntives, buy this novel.
http://www.babelio.com/livres/Orsenna-Les-Chevaliers-du-Subjonctif/2663

his other works
http://www.babelio.com/auteur/Erik-Orsenna/3065/bibliographie
a famous site to learn french and english is
http://www.francaisfacile.com/
http://www.francaisfacile.com/tous.php

also, follow the french typography which the best in the world. english and germanic typography is for degenerates.
>>
It's hard for me to say whether French is easier to learn since I was raised speaking English, and French has a lot of words that can be equated to English, about 40% if I'm not mistaken (thank William the Conqueror).

As for the word order, French has a much more rigid system of language and doesn't have the same flexibility as English. English has such a complex hegemony of sources developing from so much history that I personally believe it's the hardest of all the languages to learn, but that's just me.

Genders of nouns in French are easy to memorize since "le" and "la" correspond with whether or not the noun has a vowel as its last letter, with a few unexplainable exceptions.
>>
>>7795614
English is the easiest language in the world and anyone with a computer can learn it in a month.
>>
>>7795655
>English
>it's the hardest of all the languages to learn
English is the most primitive language with super rigid word order, so what are you talking about?
>>
>>7795664
Go read Milton, you dunce.
>>
english has an hideous pronunciation
>>
>>7795670
once again, as a person who never spoke a slavic language you cannot know what a free word order is, inversion is english is very limited
>>
For english, download the OED

>Is this available for a "Windows Computer"?
yes, it is freely available for windows

>OED_update_4-0-3.exe
[the link is dead, so search the web for this file]

here for the explanation of the shady business of Oxford publication
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/oed.shtml#v4updates

>There are huge (640|617Mb) post-installation v4.0.0.3 updates for Macintosh | Windows (the latter a corrupt file, pursuant to OUP changes on 22 January 2013; use the OUP-USA Tech Support mirror instead). These refreshes of the code supply a new OED icon (a “carousel” of 20 books like the image on the CD case, except that one volume is open with a magnifying glass straddling the gutter – an amusing allusion to the generally-reviled two-volume “micrographic” Compact Version), and more importantly solve a few of the problems described below, albeit with a beefed-up SecuROM under Windows. Funny thing about this refresh: the Windows version calls itself “OED_update_4-0-3.exe” (655,401,876 bytes, MD5: 9fe0d6169a19738caf3fa8b99e76a632, downloaded 9 August 2010) but it doesn’t seem to require a previous installation, and it doesn’t seem to care whether you originally bought the full version or the upgrade — in fact, the freely-downloadable Windows update (but not the Mac update) is the complete v4 package (just as earlier SOED updates had been nearly complete save for a boot loader, pronunciation audio files, and some non-essential Help PDFs), and furthermore many correspondents confirm that if you use the SecuROM-free swhx.exe Screenweaver launcher described above, it doesn't ask that any disks be inserted to authenticate, and it functions pretty much like the Macintosh version: no copy protection or verification baggage, and no blacklisted apps either.
>>
Thanks for your kind responses so much, guys. But i have one more question, is there too big difference between canadian variant of french and french one?
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 500x500
>>7795655
>Genders of nouns in French are easy to memorize since "le" and "la" correspond with whether or not the noun has a vowel as its last letter, with a few unexplainable exceptions.
>>
>>7795691
not in formal speech or writing
otherwise, yes, more so than the difference between us/uk, but an intelligent person can become acclimatized fairly easily (it would take maybe a month)
>>
>>7795695
That's really nothing if compared to German, the gender of nouns is randomly assigned so anyone that didn't learn German from birth has no hope of ever fully fluidly speaking the language since you would have to memorize the gender of every single noun

Furthermore the genders change with plural/ grammar and that's fun
>>
>>7795695
yeah that's not true at all, fuck you
>>
>>7795710
>>7795695
Never mind I was lead to believe you thought French nouns were bullshit and not that anon was making up bullshit

I don't speak frog and honestly I don't intend on ever learning it
>>
>>7795695
>"I'll let my reaction image do the talking here! Heh! Nothing personnel!"
>>
>>7795710
>anyone that didn't learn German from birth has no hope of ever fully fluidly speaking the language
bias bullshit
>>
>>7795650
>>http://www.tv5monde.com/cms/chaine-francophone/lf/Merci-Professeur/p-17081-Merci-Professeur.htm
also available on
https://www.youtube.com/user/einzahlquittung/playlists
>>
>>7795674
Cut to the chase and speak your mind, famalam.
>>
>>7795761
i've got nothing to say to you, you clearly have no clue about free word order and fixed one
>>
>>7795783
I've studied linguistics before. I was just 'avin a giggle. Chill, Slavbro.
>>
>>7795614
Just dropped in here to say your English is superb. You should be proud.
>>
French is a subhuman language de-facto
>>
>>7795710
dude it's not that difficult
>>7795717
well we are on an image board newfaggot
>>
I'm German.
English is easier than french.
>>
>>7797064
How do you think, is say learning german instead worth it at all? as to me, i have been always fascinated by this language and even wanted to study it in my school but to be honest i quickly had dropped the idea due to my stupidity.
>>
>>7798734

different poster - if you feel like learning a language just go for it, it can be quite fun - especially once youve got the grammar down

german is a little bit more tricky than french due to the grammar, in my experience anyway (native english speaker)
>>
>>7795988
thx for ur input
>>
>>7795650
merci professeur is fucking based
>>
>>7795614
>believe it or not I haven't even tried to learn the grammar yet

don't worry about it many english speakers barely know proper grammar to
>>
English is easier in that there's less words that you can get a lot more meaning from through kenning.
>>
Hello Slav friend, where to learn Russian?

I am an American who wants to stop being uncultured swine and I already have Russian phonics learned, so what is the next step?
>>
>>7795655
this post is a wreck
>>
>>7799431
thank you
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.