[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Acquiring a vocabulary for description
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: yK8wYoL.png (350 KB, 1238x468) Image search: [Google]
yK8wYoL.png
350 KB, 1238x468
"We went to camp. An old man in old-looking clothes gave us directions to the camp site. We put down our tents. There were trees of various kinds around. There was a lot of green- green bushes and green plants and green leaves, but they were all different kinds of green- you know what I mean? Like they were all distinct from each other and not like one big pixelated green blur. Wow. And the smells - don't even get me started. There were so many smells and sounds, man. Awesome. And so many little sounds by little insects and birds. Yeah, there was also the sun, which was, uhm, shining down on us all. It was a very pleasing experience on all senses overall. I hoped I conveyed it to you well kthxbye"

This is an exaggerated version of what my prose looks like when I'm trying to descibe settings.

How do you know the proper words for sights, sounds, names of plants, describing the sunlight and the unique greenery, etc? My vocabulary isn't bad, I excelled in SATs. I hardly have to pick up the dictionary when I'm reading books. But I suck at bring those words forth.. like tattered clothes instead of old-looking clothes, or something even better that I can't think of now.
>>
>>7795337
Look up some synonyms, use them sparingly.
>>
Read more
>>
Developing your writing voice is a matter of sharpening your observational skills, reading writers with good prose, and expressing your personality creatively. There's no "proper" way to describe a sunrise.
>>
look up synonyms

read fitzgerald
>>
Study flora native to the area where your story takes place. Cormac McCarthy is the best at this. Use Blood Meridian as a reference.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.