[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Homoerotic subtext in books written over a hundred years ago.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: pic.png (138 KB, 428x472) Image search: [Google]
pic.png
138 KB, 428x472
Anyone know any examples of it?
>>
Moby-Dick
>>
>>7794669
Is this for a regular English Class or an Advanced English Class? Also more importantly OP don't get us to do your homework for you
>>
>>7794691
I just want to know after having seen pic related.
>>
>>7794693
Okay as long as this isn't for English class
A lot of books from before the 20th century except for actual homo authors like Wilde don't actually have homoerotic subtext its just projecting modern views on past novels
Basically homo subtext is wherever you see it if you subscribe to a post-modernist view . Otherwise almost no books have it
>>
File: 1452205103591.jpg (359 KB, 1600x1050) Image search: [Google]
1452205103591.jpg
359 KB, 1600x1050
>tfw the gays stole Walt

We can't let them get away with it.
>>
>>7794696
>Basically homo subtext is wherever you see it if you subscribe to a post-modernist view

You wouldn't seriously argue that something like The Goblin Market isn't explicitly homoerotic, would you?
>>
>>7794699
What? Wasn't he gay to begin with?
>>
>>7794711
theres a difference between "explicit" and "subtext"
>>
Several of Shakespeare's Sonnets are very clearly homoerotic.
>>
>>7794724
Many scholars would disagree with you. See Sonnet 20. Shakespeare himself says that the beloved is beautiful as a woman, and that often deceives his passions, but that they are incompatible and he IS NOT into dick.

Using sonnet 20(which I might add, is one of the very earliest sonnets written to the beloved) as a lense to view the remaining sonnets it's pretty clear that none of them are homoerotic but rather talking about other mechanics of human interaction and passion.
>>
your grandad's diary?
>>
>>7794756
You must think you're so fucking funny. It's absolutely pitiful that this is your meager attempt at finding fulfillment. But you will never know it.
>>
>>7794740
>but that they are incompatible and he IS NOT into dick.

Only when he grows up. Half his sonnets are obviously about pre pubescent boys.
>>
>>7794848
Project harder.
1. His comment took one second to think about and post as he scrolled.
2. You're on 4chan. Shut the fuck up about what is and is not a proper way to be fulfilled you arrogant little shit.
>>
>>7794669
>>
>>7794669
Death in Venice
>>
>>7794856
I'm gonna tell you what my psychiatrist told me: Fuck you, retard.
>>
>>7794669
The Satyricon, maybe?
>>
File: 1437706044011.jpg (189 KB, 1488x1488) Image search: [Google]
1437706044011.jpg
189 KB, 1488x1488
>>7794860
>>
check out the letters Bram Stoker wrote to Walt Whitman, describing his physical attributes and trying to work out if he was gay also.
>>
>>7794715
No, he was just mirin desu.

People just assumed he was gay. Even Sapphos is more lesbian than whitman is gay
>>
She's probably talking about the Sherlock Holmes books. Watson is SUCH a fag for Sherlock! ^_^ Tee-hee! I think Steven Moffat is a good director!
>>
>>7794669
Epic of Gilgamesh
>>
File: 311.jpg (108 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
311.jpg
108 KB, 960x720
>>7794699
you don't have to put everything in groups. Some people like sodomy therefore they have more claim to a poet?
>>
Why do these bookish bitches always love cats, and say they love cats? I've seen this so many times now. What kind of image do they think it projects? I don't understand. I can't understand. Someone help me.
>>
>>7795180
Cats are probably pretty solid animals to own when you like books since you can pet them while you read and they lie around you and project a comfortable atmosphere and stuff

I like reading with my cat
>>
>>7795180
EVERYONE loves cats, you fucking idiot.
>>
>>7794669
Never has the start with the greeks meme been more relevant.
>>
>>7795204
But not everyone is like...
(icon of owl with glasses)
Interests: Books. Coffee. Cats.
I am fond of the works of Douglas Adams.
>>
>>7794878
>subtext
>classics
pick one
>>
>>7795400
I don't know, those are all pretty appealing things. I'd be more surprised to find someone who DOESN'T like all of them.
>>
Why do fags constantly search for 'Homoerotic subtext'? Do they really need to be validated that much?
>>
>>7795489
Well, in my case at least it's more like I enjoy laughing at all the people in denial. We've been there from the start.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.