[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone read this? Just started it tonight and it's great so far.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: 51EGdUo92DL.jpg (53 KB, 326x500) Image search: [Google]
51EGdUo92DL.jpg
53 KB, 326x500
Anyone read this? Just started it tonight and it's great so far.
>>
>new york times top 100
>has anyone read this
The first five pages are the best. Drop it afterward.
>>
>>7794472

No need to memetext. I am aware that people on this board have read it- I simply wanted to get a thread going.

>The first five pages are the best. Drop it afterward.

Too late
>>
>>7794469
Haven't read it yet, but I prefer Pynchon's breezy Lot 49/Vineland/IV stuff over his more lauded labyrinthine pomo works, so I'm thinking it might be up my alley.
>>
>>7794469
I read it last year. Most of it stoned. I had a great time.
>>
It's fun but not one of Pynchon's best.
>>
Will we ever see a new Pynch novel, or a Bio?
>>
>>7794994
Agree. Not like 49 but pretty fun
>>
>>7795197
I don't think we'll get another tome like Gravity's Rainbow or Against the Day, but something is better than nothing. Probably no bio stuff till after he dies.
>>
>>7795630
Man, we can only hope. But yeah, I don't think so either. How long in advance did people know Bleeding Edge would be coming out?

>Captcha says 'Things to eat'
>It's not the dog in the bottom right corner
>>
I just bought Vineland and Bleeding Edge. So far I've read Pynchon in basically chronological order (I read Lot 49 prior to V.). I think I might continue him in chronological order, but I think I'll need a lighter work between Mason & Dixon and Against the Day.
>>
Rereading Lot now. Liking it way more than the first time I read it.
>>
Why were there a million copies of this in the shitty bargain rack of my bookstore?
>>
I love it. I think Windust is one of the best characters Pynchon has ever created, and the theological/mystical aspects are tighter and neater than in some of his more famous works. It's not his best book but it might be his most fun.
>>
>>7796855
>Windust is one of the best characters
? Isn't that the batman satire
>>
>>7796962
I don't think so? Pretty sure he's based on John Perkins if anything...
>>
>>7795197
>>7795630
>Probably no bio stuff till after he dies.
desu his bio is pretty much all out there. he hasn't been the 'recluse' he's reputed to be since the 70s

between slow learner, his various forewords, his part of the richard farina biography on college days, and the various semi-obscure documentaries /articles on him ( like the one by the guy getting cucked by pynchon and introducing pynchon to brian wilson ) his life is pretty much laid bare
>>
>>7794469
i think it's a probably the worst Pynchon. the protagonist is lame, the prose more stilted than anything from him, and very little insight to any of the themes of the novel - 9/11, net start ups, etc. maybe i'm just not a fan of the work. i found Inherent Vice to be hilarious and a cool stoner homage to pulp noir. i found Bleeding Edge to be overlong, boring, and no particular character all that interesting.
>>
>>7797007
I agree with 100% of this.

I was excited to see the millennium zeitgeist explored by Pynchon because for once it was something I was there for. Well, I think specifically because of that it felt really cheap. Lots of wasted potential, the early internet was a beautiful place full of the fringe communities Pynchon so loves. If he'd set part in the early 90's and explored the gulf war as a preamble to 9/11 we could have gotten some great conspiracy theorist websites and all, but instead we got this weird Neuromancer/secondlife thing and jesus christ what a bad book

I think I'll have to write the Bleeding Edge I envisioned.
>>
Should I read this or V.?
>>
I read it earlier this year. I liked it, but I don't really remember much of what happened after the 9/11 chapter.

Dude late capitalism lmao
>>
>>7797033
V. no question
>>
>>7797025

indeed. i knew i was in trouble when after the first few chapters the narrative still did not have its hooks in me, quite unlike every single Pynchon book before Bleeding Edge. it is not a dull book or a misfire, it just didn't hit the mark. or maybe it did and i've just misread it or wasn't in tune with it. i often give the author the benefit of the doubt, especially if its someone of Pynchon's caliber, and may reread it one day if the mood takes me.
>>
>>7796962
That's Pirate's batman, Wayne.
>>
It's ok for what it is and an amusing enough read, but yeah, there's no question that it's one of his weakest books. I'd still put it over Vineland and the stories in Slow Learner but everything else of his that I've read so far (everything except Against the Day) has been a lot better. Even as a "New York" book, it's crappy compared to V. It's very potboiler-like.
>>
>>7796548
I see Inherent Vice on the bargan rack all the time
>>
>>7796548
overprinting to meet quota numbers. happens all the time in the mainstream publishing industry.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.