[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some of the best short stories out there?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 7
File: images (1).jpg (31 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
31 KB, 384x384
What are some of the best short stories out there?
>>
>>7793753
they're short
>>
borges & joyce are the best
>>
cosmicomics
>>
Start with the masters: Hawthorne, Gogol, etc.
>>
File: AnneFrank2.jpg (73 KB, 500x302) Image search: [Google]
AnneFrank2.jpg
73 KB, 500x302
Dubliners is great, you should read it.

My other favorites are Edgar Allan Poe and Ray Bradbury.

I like this one as well.

http://multivax.com/last_question.html
>>
File: 1443994746860.jpg (68 KB, 424x593) Image search: [Google]
1443994746860.jpg
68 KB, 424x593
>>7793764
whoa
>>
What the fu-ARE YOU RECORDING MEEEEEEEE!?
>>
>>7793784
ISEDNORCRDING!!!!
>>
>>7793774
Muh dick
>>
>>7793753
If you like NMH you'd probably like DFW. I wouldn't recommend Oblivion to anyone because it's a very hit and miss collection, but Brief Interviews with Hideous Men is great.
>>
File: AnneFrank4.png (219 KB, 608x459) Image search: [Google]
AnneFrank4.png
219 KB, 608x459
I WISH I COULD SAVE HER, IN SOME SORT OF TIME MACHINE
>>
anthem
>>
File: 1451510645085.jpg (36 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
1451510645085.jpg
36 KB, 512x512
>>7793790
no that's wrong!
>>
>>7793808

I wonder what Anne Frank would think if she knew the diary she wrote hidden in an attic terrified for her life would one day be used as a prop for some egotistical broad to prove to their instagram followers how cultured and smart they are.

Does she not realise how wildly inappropriate this is? Of course not, there is no time to pause for reflection in the oh so important task of taking yet another fucking picture of yourself.
>>
>>7793753
In the Heart of the Heart of the Country by William Gass.
>>
heart of dankness
>>
>>7793870
Bingo
>>
I read The Swimmer by John Cheever the other day on my roomate's recommendation and was blown away.
>>
>>7793905
novella
>>
kafka, borges, barth, calvino, faulkner
>>
Katherine Mansfield, Breece D'J Pancake, Ryunosuke Akutagawa, Kafka, Kjell Askildsen, Alice Munro... those are my favourite writers of short fiction.
>>
File: Saunders.jpg (73 KB, 620x350) Image search: [Google]
Saunders.jpg
73 KB, 620x350
>>7793753
Donald Barthelme's got some bangers boy I'll tell yew what.

First one by him I ever read was "The School," which I was compelled to seek out when I came across an essay about it while reading The Braindead Megaphone by George Saunders.

Speaking of George Saunders, stories by George Fucking Saunders.
>>
Borges, Chekhov, Philip K Dick depending what
drugs he was on at the time.
>>
Asimov has got some good stuff.
>>
Flannery O'Connor and James Thurber are all but ignored on this board.

Wilson, The Man Who Shot Snapping Turtles
Harte, Outcasts of Poker Flat
Conrad, An Outpost of Progress
Beerbohm, A.V. Laider
Tolstoy, Death of Ivan Ilytch
Aiken, Silent Snow, Secret Snow
Melville, Bartleby
Freedgood, Grandma and the Hindu Monk
>>
Kafka and Joyce

Others are meh
>>
the aleph, the book of sand, good old neon, another pioneer, escape from spiderhead, the metamorphosis, the dead, araby, a little cloud, the pederson kid, human moments in world war 3, a clean well lighted place, all of steps by jerzy kosinski, a decent amount of winesburg ohio...
>>
>>7793859
u mad bruh?
>>
William--Gass--is the b--est--

-- -- --

--
>>
>>7793859
>to prove to their instagram followers how cultured and smart they are.
thinking about this is sort of sad actually.
>>
>>7794220

Askildsen will win the Nobel in a couple years, I'd bet good money on it.
>>
>>7793859
Huh, I got the sense she was just holding up the book because she looks a bit like the picture of Anne Frank on the cover.

But then again I have no idea who this person holding the book is.

>>7793815
We all do.
>>
>>7793859
she triggered your jimmies but you'll be ok anon
>>
>>7793905
Just read this one, it's really cool. Probably something you should read twice.
>>
Yukio Mishima's Patriotism is one of the best shorts I've read recently.
>>
>>7794220
>>7794488
I'll put another vote in for Askildsen.
>>
Salinger
>>
>>7793859
Nigger have you *read* the book?

It's the diary of an angsty teenager. Her book was made for people to do that kind of thing.
>>
don durito de la lacandona
>>
"A Country Doctor" by Franz Kafka is one of my personal favorite short stories.
>>
>>7794220
>Kjell Askildsen

Min neger
>>
>>7793753
Raymond Carver's Cathedral
>>
Flannery O'Connor's Everything That Rises Must Converge may just be the GOAT short story collection
>>
Shirley Jackson's The Lottery
>>
James Agee: A Mother's Tale
>>
The Hero as a Werwolf by Gene Wolfe
>>
>>7794346
This anon knows the shizz. I'd add DFW's 'forever overhead', Baldwin's 'going to meet the man', Salinger's 'nine stories' (especially 'a perfect day for bananafish' ohh boy), also Hemmy's 'snows of kilimanjaro'.
>>
>>7794420
That's my meme you're memeing
>>
>>7797034

This d e s u
>>
Signs and Symbols by Nabokov
>>
>>7793753
The happy prince by Wilde
>>
The Deathbird
>>
>>7798757
Fantastic recommendation, really powerful short story. Maybe my favorite actually.
>>
Steinbeck wrote some really good ones
>>
Saki is pretty good
>>
>>7798757
>>7799004

I dont get it
is it that it ends abruptly so you have to interpret everything like the young man
>>
Good Old Neon by David Foster Wallace is the most depressing thing you'll ever read. It's on Oblivion.
>>
An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge by Ambrose Bierce
>>
>>7799077
It's been a while since I read it, but I remember I thought it was clever how Nabokov created a child deemed insane because he was incapacitated by interpreting everything around him as having a relationship to himself and then he filled the story with signs and symbols the reader would pick up and obviously attribute to the boy lending credence to his insane thoughts.

The ending is open to interpretation but I think the last call came after the father had picked up the crabapple spread (crabapples are renowned for being extremely sour and inedible, another sign) in conjunction with assuming they wouldn't receive yet another misdial from the previous caller so I interpreted it as a call from the sanitarium to indicate their son had taken his life.
>>
>>7793768
Reading this during the weekend. What am I in for?
>>
>>7793753
My recent favorites:

Borges - Funes the Memorious
Kafka - The Vulture
Borges -Borges and I
Kis - Simon Magnus
>>
>>7800000
>>
baby shoes
>>
>>7793753
Kipling - Little Foxes / Sahibs War
Jimbo Juice - The Dead
Gogol - The Nose
Any Borgey-Worgey
>>
>>7799096
yeeeah boyee

what we talk about when we talk about love, a good man is hard to find, funes the memorious, welcome to the monkey house, hemingway's short stories, Demon Box by Ken Kesey,
>>
>>7799096
Dude that came in my SAT
>>
>>7793753
WHEN YOU WERE YOUNG YOU WERE THE KING OF CARROT FLOWERS
>>
Green Tea and Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu.
>>
>>7800703
BUT DONT HATE HER
WHEN SHE GETS UP TO LEAVE
>>
>>7793753
The Death of Ivan Illyich is the best one.
>>
>>7800710
>Green Tea
https://youtu.be/g93hyyf6NV4
>>
my favorite is get off my board you /mu/ cancer piece of shit redditor
>>
Gogol - the Overcoat
John Cheever - The swimmer
Gene Wolf - Island of Dr. Death
>>
The Nose by Gogol.

Also that one everyone talks about where the bartenders get mad at the old man drinking brandy. Its garbage, but pseudointellectuals eat it up, I forgot the name. Probably been posted several times in this thread already.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.