[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here own's a typewriter? Is it easy to maintain refill
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6
File: typewriter.jpg (47 KB, 476x381) Image search: [Google]
typewriter.jpg
47 KB, 476x381
Anyone here own's a typewriter? Is it easy to maintain refill the ink/whatever?
>>
Yeah, all you need to do is replace the ribbon when it gets dry. The only problem is finding a ribbon that will fit your model, which if you have an early '40s Remington like myself isn't that easy.
>>
>>7792101
just go and get one already, you cool dog.
>>
>>7792101
I had one, yes they're pretty simple to refill, cheap reliable writing tools desu
>>
File: il_570xN.600957112_4ufs.jpg (50 KB, 570x380) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.600957112_4ufs.jpg
50 KB, 570x380
Bought this about a year or so ago. They had it on sale at my library for 10€ and it worked perfectly. I've been writing some documents with it just for pleasure and it hasn't run out of ink- I've rolled the ribbon two times back though.

What a damn nice find.
>>
Royal royalite '64
>>
What makes this more appealing than typing a document on a computer? I'm genuinely interested - I've been tempted to get a typewriter myself.
>>
>>7792284
it looks cool as heck
>>
How easy is it to use compared to typing on a laptop or keyboard?
>>
How can you take yourself seriously if you're using a typewriter in 2016. Trying way too hard scarf boi
>>
>>7792284
When the power goes out
Live off the grid
Rugged
Spelling
Focus
Automatic printing
Save on printer ink
Etc
>>
>>7792299
Depends but it takes some getting used to. Gotta smash the keys
>>
>>7792314
machines are going to fail. And then the system is going to fail. When that happens, you must be reddy.
>>
>>7792284
I've been thinking of getting one because computers are too distracting. As well I have a hard time moving on and not going back and fixing every sentence til it's perfect. I like long hand but my printing is complete garbage.
Plus a typewriter allows you to have a printed copy right away and I prefer to print and edit anyways.
Also why not they're cheap as fuck and a ribbon is only $10
>>
>>7792284
The sound they make is really satisfying. There are fewer distractions too since all it does is smash ink onto a piece of paper.
>>
>>7792412
plus if u drink a beer and smoke a cigarette and post a black and white selfie of it to instagram it's like ur totaly an authentic writer living the literary lifestyle
>>
>>7792420
Excuse me, sir, but I only drink wine and vape, you uncultured swine.
>>
>>7792430
dude if u don't smoke analog cigarettes to go with ur vinyls then ur not authentic, vapes are a fucking lossy mp3 to a camel flac
>>
>>7792302

This desu senpai.

I don't know what's worse - this, or discussions about the the best word processors. Ridiculous that so many wannabes on /lit/ actually care about this shit.
>>
>>7792439
>he fell for the FLAC meme
>when it has been proven people can't even differentiate the sound between a wav,mp3,flac
>>
>>7792302
> DON'T DO THINGS I DONT LIKE!
>>
File: Brother Type writer.jpg (104 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
Brother Type writer.jpg
104 KB, 720x960
>>7792101
I have three so far, this being one of them. I like them because I find them interesting to tinker with. Also because of whats been mentioned before, they offer fewer distractions, don't need power (unless your using an electric) and there is a certain catharsis to it. Its like the difference between vinyl and digital in a way.
>>
>>7792612
isn't it really annoying not being able to backspace something? With paper you can score out, with a computer you can delete it. With a typewriter, making a mistake halfway through rubbishes an entire page.
>>
>>7792612
so there's catharsis to it uh
Well everyone have fun seeing soccer moms, facebook girls and twitter normies spouting on about catharsis in a month's time
>>
>>7792703
You technically can backspace, and in fact there are ribbons that have your blank ink level, and another level made out of white out material. So if you get a mistake adjust the ribbon holder to select the white outside, type over the mistake and away you go. I will admit there is an added difficulty, but overtime it is mitigated.
>>
>>7792713
Is there a name for that feature? I'm almost tempted. I've become way too reliant on spellcheck. I legitimately had better spelling in secondary school than I do now. Are they expensive?
>>
>>7792713
Or you could just, you know, move your hands slightly and blot out the mistake?
>>
>>7792584
Shut up you millenial scum
>>
>>7792928
Well that as well.
>>
I own four, my favorite being a 1949 Royal aristocrat deluxe. I refill my own ribbons with stamping ink
>>
PUNCH THE KEYS FOR GOD'S SAKE!
>>
>>7792932
>RREEEEE
You
>>
>>7792727
Its called corrected ribbon, it is actually available on amazon. There are ribbons that are just correction and mix black white. The part on the typewriter is called a ribbon indicator.
>>
>>7792574
>thinking an increase in quality is for nothing
>would rather mouth a greasy vape pen than
puff on a death stick.
>>
File: remingtun.jpg (85 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
remingtun.jpg
85 KB, 960x720
>>7792153
What model is that ? I got mine (pictured) for $10 at the thrift shop, with no repairs necessary.
>>
>>7792703
No, I just cross out the mistake with slashes and write the correct thing. Then I go over the page with pen and start a new page for the second draft.
>>
File: tips swamp.jpg (18 KB, 353x334) Image search: [Google]
tips swamp.jpg
18 KB, 353x334
>Tfw I will never be this much of a pretentious Luddite

It's a good feel.
>>
>>7793561
>Guy wants to write in a different way
>Must be a luddite

What an open mind you have.
>>
File: amish-kingpin.jpg (83 KB, 301x302) Image search: [Google]
amish-kingpin.jpg
83 KB, 301x302
>>7793707
>Guy has a computer where he can write but he chooses to write in the least practical and most obsolete way
>>
>>7793779
>least practical
Actually word processors are the least practical way of writing.
>>
>>7793788
>>7793779
writing on a typewriter is super satisfying for some reason. the noise and the keys feel great.
i would never use it for a novel or anything holy fuck that'd be retarded.
what do you do when you screw up?
and thats the ONLY copy you have. no copy paste no email nothing.
i could see using it for the occasional short story or something.
>>
>>7793561
more like you let spooks run your life
>>
>>7793801
>and thats the ONLY copy you have
It's better than keeping it all on a digital file that can very easily be corrupted. I trust paper far more than I trust my hard drive.

I don't get any particular enjoyment out of the keys or the sound, though. The sound is annoying, but writing on a typewriter is just more convenient because I don't have to open up a word processor in my computer, I can just pull out my typewriter and start writing.

I still prefer my pen to either of those, though.
>>
>>7793828
>just pull out my typewriter
OK. that thing weighs like 40 pounds and its awkward as fuck. you cant take it anywhere.
a laptop on the otherhand.
>i prefer pen
no thanks
>>
>>7793846
pen really is more practical than a typewriter though
>>
>>7793853
well id rather use a pencil. you can at least erase. just the thought of writing gives my hand cramps.
>>
>>7793846
Why would you hate on pens?
>>
>>7793876
see>>7793864
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.