[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any books about finding meaning in yourself, liking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
Are there any books about finding meaning in yourself, liking solitude and not caring about others that aren't cringy edgelord shit like Striner or Ayn Rand? I'm just trying to be more positive about the fact that I'll never be able to make true connections with people and I want to be more content with being alone Don't want to masturbate to my own reflection in the mirror and think others are my property.
>>
>>7791610
How is Stirner edgelord tier? He does talk about loving one's family and stuff like that. Don't take "property" too literally, he basically just means to not let others control you.

Anyway, try Myth of Sysiphos and then the rest of Camus. The First Man maybe?
>>
>>7791610
The stranger
>>
Franny and Zooey or Siddartha
>>
File: 1451912461070.jpg (39 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1451912461070.jpg
39 KB, 640x640
>>7791610
Just keep watching anime and try to ignore the pain. It's the best we can hope for.
>>
The only book I can recommend besides the Bible is The Book of Disquiet. The truth is everybody who is at least vaguely sane will desire company, preferably with someone they feel love towards and loved by. If for whatever reason you live your life without company of this sort you will either be overwhelmed by misery, frustration and self-loathing, in which case you will either become mentally ill or end your life by your own hand. Or you will have to detach yourself so completely from the external world and the human society of which you are a part that barely anything in the world, including the death of your parents or the sight of a pretty girl smiling at you from across the room, will make you feel anything but a sense of dispassionate curiosity. People often ask why Bernardo Soares, protagonist of Pessoa's novel, didn't commit suicide considering how depressing his life appeared. But the answer is that there was barely anything left to kill, only his imagination which to him was more like a dream (i.e. a dream experienced by a sleeping body and thus not fully "alive"). This is why ascetics, or those truly wishing to escape their existence, move to rural areas and take vows of chastity and silence. They in effect kill themselves without destroying their brain. They read one book and most of their time is spent either distracting themselves with prayer or distracting themselves with manual labour. To think is to suffer. Thinking is by definition a solitary and therefore oftentimes lonely act. When you wish to communicate your thoughts via speech but find there is nobody who is willing to listen (i.e. to allow your thoughts to mix with their thoughts and thus briefly allow your isolated internal selves to meet each other) you will inevitably either have to suffer the isolation of your thought and your life ("I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream", reduce your life to that of an animal or child (join a monastery or drastically limit your awareness in some other way) or end your life. There is a reason almost every single book, almost every single movie, and almost every single song focuses on or depicts in part the relationship between two individuals who for whatever reason are drawn towards each other from their respective isolations. To deny this, and to deny yourself the experience of an emotion or "feeling" that is by all accounts the greatest justification for human life, is to deny life itself and redefine your own existence as a form of suicide.
>>
I think you might like Nietzsche...

I haven't had the occasion to finish it (I've only read the beginning, but I have to go back and finish it one of these days) but "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" might fit the bill.
>>
>>7791759
>I think the writings of a beta, aspergic, hermetic, mentally ill onanist will help you find some peace of mind
>>
>>7791610
>The Myth of Sysiphus
>The Catcher In The Rye
These are the most obvious ones
>>
>>7791769
Why post this shit? It's obvious you're a 15 year old who has just read his first entry level books and thinks he has anything to contribute to this board.
>>
Start with the stoics
Discourses by epictetus
>>
File: nietzsche.jpg (12 KB, 448x323) Image search: [Google]
nietzsche.jpg
12 KB, 448x323
>>7791761
Nietzsche was a p. chill guy tbqh.
>>
>>7791786
Nietzsche was pretty much the opposite of "chill".
>>
>>7791610

Man's Search for Meaning, by Viktor Frankl
>>
>>7791748
The latter suicide is probably better than the former suicide.

Most people who ask this question are considering the first one, desu.
>>
File: Exe.jpg (513 KB, 2048x1366) Image search: [Google]
Exe.jpg
513 KB, 2048x1366
Dao De Ching
Zhuangzi
Meditations - Aurellius
Letters from a Stoic - Seneca
Also, here you go, you can ignore the flow chart but the books recommended are kewl.
>>
>>7791610
>Are there any books about finding meaning in yourself, liking solitude and not caring about others
Evola, more or less
>>
>>7791610
Obviously you like Ghibli films,OP. You should check out Only Yesterday and The Tale of Princess Kaguya.

Extraordinarily good.
>>
>>7791610
Rilke is the guy for you OP

I live my life in widening circles
that reach out across the world.
I may not complete this last one
but I give myself to it.

I circle around God, around the primordial tower.
I've been circling for thousands of years
and I still don't know: am I a falcon,
a storm, or a great song?

Book of Hours, I 2
>>
>>7791748
Sanity is a social construct desu. I think that the people who don't detach themselves from the external world are the truly insane ones. That's not to say that you shouldn't have bonds with people or form relationships, but that a self-sufficiency is more important than a reliance on artificial, external desires that one has no control over.
>>
>>7792032
>artificial, external desires that one has no control over.

This is what cucks actually believe.

What you're promoting here is passivity and apathy.
>>
>>7792041
>implying you have control over the external world

You can try your best to think up all possible outcomes and prevent the ones you don't want, but everything is ultimately beyond your control, senpai.
>>
>>7791610
try haruki murakami. he gets mixed feedback here but try him for yourself. one of his themes is the feeling of isolation in contemporary society.
>>
File: BIRDS FROGS MOSQUITOES.png (3 MB, 1107x1765) Image search: [Google]
BIRDS FROGS MOSQUITOES.png
3 MB, 1107x1765
If you're into Nietzsche and The Bible, than try this.
>>
>>7791610
You sound like such a fag
>>
>>7791748
good post
>>
>>7792041
No, equanimity.
>>
reminds me of Markson or Woolf. Thoreau would be an obvious one but his prose is very hollow and vain
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.