[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to learn to write well?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: sadheathen.jpg (71 KB, 203x211) Image search: [Google]
sadheathen.jpg
71 KB, 203x211
I'm a completely inexperienced guy who's always wanted to get good at writing. What top-tier books are there on the subject? Preferably online and free. I'm worried about picking up some shit-tier book like Elements of Style out of ignorance and not realising it's giving me awful advice. --Any other ways to learn how to write well would also be great.

Sorry for newfaggotry.
>>
>>7791266

In order to write well, you must be well-read.

There is no other way.
>>
Two good ones I always reccomend

John Gardner's Art of Fiction (read this first)
Lajos Egri's Art of Dramatic Writing (centered around plays but it applies to all stories)

From there its just practice and being well-read. Always challenge your current reading level and study everything around you, not just books, ex. people, plants, general environment, etc. Just like an artist would.
>>
>>7791281
Well, I'm working on that one.
>>7791286
Thanks, I've read what Gardner could find online, but I'll check out Egri.

Know any good ways to practice? Do you just write, or is there a good way to get criticism? The crit threads here seem to be focused on very small exerpts.
>>
>>7791266
I have no ambitions to be a writer but I once read Raymond Chandlers essay The Simple Art of Murder. While it mainly focuses on detective novels he also talks about literature in general. It's a short read and maybe it somehow helps:
http://www.en.utexas.edu/amlit/amlitprivate/scans/chandlerart.html
>>
>>7791296
>Know any good ways to practice? Do you just write, or is there a good way to get criticism? The crit threads here seem to be focused on very small exerpts.

I generally think starting with short stories is a good idea, it helps you get familiar with the process without over-committing to a huge work, you get something you can finish within a week or less and then fine tune.

Since you know the critique threads are focused on small works, that can give you an idea of ho to format your shorts, but also I think it helps to make friends with other writers and have a small network of critique partners if you can. Anonymous critique is extremely hit or miss I'll grant.
>>
>>7791296

always limit yourself e.g: this story will be ten pages/ etc.

beginner musicians don't play free jazz right away, as it is witht the musicians it is with the writer
>>
>>7791312
>>7791338
Thanks, this is a lot of help.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.