[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there anything to the concept of authenticity? So many philosophers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6
File: mystery man.jpg (67 KB, 1024x359) Image search: [Google]
mystery man.jpg
67 KB, 1024x359
Is there anything to the concept of authenticity? So many philosophers and psychologically driven writers: Heidegger, Maslow, Rogers and on and on see it as the end-game in terms of what to do about the fact you've been given/forced into having a life.

Yet, I don't think I've ever met anyone who seems to take the challenge of it up while I know so many vaguely wish to do so.

Have any of you tried, do any of you live it
>>
Everything is authentic.
>>
History always repeats it self. Nothing is new desu, just retold in a different way.
>>
>>7790303
everything is just energy undergoing a state of transition.
>>
File: continentalsnotallowed.png (555 KB, 650x912) Image search: [Google]
continentalsnotallowed.png
555 KB, 650x912
This thread is now about ana/lit/ic philosophy now
>>
>>7790265
authenticity is the process of building a personal brand that reflects your innermost values and aspirations. There are many brands out there that can help you along the way. /lit/ for example, can direct you to the high-end branded text content you need in order to secure your identity as a sophisticated wordly consumer.
>>
these are the most reddit responses i've ever seen on this board
>>
>>7790313
Everything is eternal and unchanging, change is an illusion of perspective that comes viewing the system from the inside
>>7790360
You know a lot about Reddit huh
>>
>>7790375
you must do too
>>
>>7790329
This always makes me laugh.
>>
>>7790329
what do you think of the praexological thought of Ludwig von Misses?
>>
>>7790381
Say what now
>>
File: Zhuangzi.gif (122 KB, 339x438) Image search: [Google]
Zhuangzi.gif
122 KB, 339x438
>>7790265
Did a major paper on the connection between authenticity/living in good faith with Taoism.

A parable represents this better than I ever could.

When the shoe fits

Chu’i the draftsman
could draw more perfect circles
freehand than with a compass

His fingers brought forth
spontaneous forms from nowhere
His mind was meanwhile free and
without concern with what he was doing

No application was needed
his mind was perfectly simple
and knew no obstacle

So, when the shoe fits,
the foot is forgotten
when the belt fits, the belly is forgotten
and when the heart is right,
for and against are forgotten

No drives, no compulsions,
no needs, no attractions
then your affairs are under control
you are a free man

Easy is right
begin right and you are easy
continue easy and you are right
The right way to go easy
is to forget
the right way
and forget that
the going is easy
>>
>>7790395
/lit/ is full of leftists you know
>>
I liked Sartre's take. His actual philosophy was obtuse, but his political writings and application of the concept of authenticity made sense.

The canonical example is what he called bad faith as the template for inauthentic life.

For example, the waiter who has displaced their own subjectivity as the source of their purposes, has identified too much with their role as a waiter, and have so engaged in an act of bad faith by betraying their authentic subjecthood, which is greater than simply being a waiter and has to do with whatever creativity or implicit value that person has.

Sartre says that when the facticity we find ourselves is coercive, we find ourselves giving into bad faith, and this must be resisted if we want to live full, authentic lives. By facticity he means the sum total of socioeconomic and political relations that circumscribe a person's agency...a poor person living in substandard apartment project finds their choices circumscribed by a very different facticity than say the president. Their different standing describes a different facticity in relation to the power structure.

He would go on to say that for instance, the Marxist concept of the alienation of labor is an example of working people being robbed of their authenticity by being confronted with a facticity that forces them to sell their labor at subsistence rather than say, realizing their creative potential.
>>
>>7790406
well, I suppose they are entitled to their delusions. Besides the only leftists here are clueless teens. we all know the true 'cool kids' hang out at the dank intersection of neo-monarchism, Anarco-capitalism PUA and racial nationalism.
>>
>>7790411
To be fair he backed a shitty regime way past when it was fairly obvious to be bs and essentially conformed in that sense too. I think his living out of radical freedom was pretty poor and also that it's an unrealistic solution.

Also, the waiter thing is fucking terrible. So much assumption going on. Why can't the waiter just have made the decision that he's got to work this job to sustain a standard of living he wants to maintain and has decided freely that the best way to live that out is to do his job as well as he can.

Sartre was a shmo in a lot of ways
>>
>>7790381
actually no, read that post again
>>
File: zczxc.png (399 KB, 1504x413) Image search: [Google]
zczxc.png
399 KB, 1504x413
>>7790329
>>
File: 1456517406227.png (346 KB, 1829x788) Image search: [Google]
1456517406227.png
346 KB, 1829x788
>>7790329
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.