[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Took a break from classic lit to read pic related. It was meh.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: solaris_cover.jpg (101 KB, 315x497) Image search: [Google]
solaris_cover.jpg
101 KB, 315x497
Took a break from classic lit to read pic related.

It was meh. What did you guys think? Who would your visitor have been? Why were the scientists in such a hurry to get rid of the visitors? Seemed like good enough contact with the planet for me.

Mine would probably be my dead cat. God help us all.
>>
It's not one of my favorites from Lem. I liked some of the bits that talk about exploring space and making contact as a pseudo religion. I guess I just couldn't relate to his personal struggles as much even though going by my personal experience I really should. And all that pseudo science clogging up a good story. It would make for a great horror game setting though.

I liked Fiasko and the Invincible much more.
>>
>>7790145
I didn't enjoy it because Stanisław is a terrible name, even in Poland.
>>
>>7790145
It's recent english translation is highly recommended than what's been available because of that whole Polish to french to english deal instead of a direct translation. Ebook only
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q21MVAI/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?ie=UTF8&btkr=1

The science portions were my favorite parts personally, the insert with the pilot getting interviewed was a great way to describe the unreality of it all.
>>
It's my favorite SF novel and I hope to reread it before long. The recent direct translation by Bill Johnston is vastly superior to the double translation via French by Kilmartin and Cox. Also the book is far more serious than most all of Lem's other writing. I highly recommend The Cyberiad for a different angle on Lem.

I like how it explores the limits to our knowledge of each other. The Solaristics parts are fun too and a nice nod to Borges. I think the rush to be rid of the visitor had to do with fear and denial of our limits--look at the maladaptive ways the other visitors were dealt with too--and also how our own shortcomings can be packaged up with people we've lost, a convenient coping skill the characters on the station were denied in various ways. My take, anyway.
>>
>>7790244
Yeah the pilot getting interviewed was good. I felt the scientists were just so stupid though. They dismissed the pilot so easily. "He must have been exposed to atmosphere, he's clearly tripping"
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.