[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
1. The Brothers Karamazov 2. In Search of Lost Time 3. War and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (125 KB, 486x609) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
125 KB, 486x609
1. The Brothers Karamazov
2. In Search of Lost Time
3. War and Peace
4. Ulysses
5. Anna Karenina
6. Crime and Punishment
7. Moby Dick
8. Paradise Lost
9. Great Expectations
10. Middlemarch

Do we all agree?
>>
>>7789928
No. What a completely stupid ranking.
>>
>>7789934
Well provide yours then
>>
>>7789928
>le anglophone + meme russians top 10
>>
>>7789937
1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
2. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
3. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
4. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
5. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
6. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
7. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
8. The Alchemist
9. There is nothing else
10. There is nothing else
>>
>>7789945
>muh botswanan poetry
>>
Surprisingly excellent.

I'd swap out one of the Dosto books for either The Iliad or The Divine Comedy, though.
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 488x488) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 488x488
>>7789948
>sorcerer's
>not philosopher's
>>
>>7789945
>le diversity meam
>>
>>7789928
A list of what? Sure, all of these are great novels, but it's a list with 3 languages, completely ignoring German, Italian and Spanish.
>>
Gargantua and Pantagruel
Journey to the West
Orlando Furioso
Ulysses
Don Quixote
Moby Dick
Remembrance of Things Past
Faust
Iliad
Divine Comedy
>>
>>7789983
swap remembrance with Petersburg.
>>
>>7789983
Very diverse
>>
>>7789928
Fuck off with that "hurr Ullyses right guys I like James Joyce when he doesn't put coherent sentences together" shite. He did it again in Finnegan's wake except he took it so far as to become completely transparent in his nature as a complete fucking tool. Stop trying to look intelligent you uneducated sycophant.
>>
>>7790006
calm thyself.

ulysses was fantastic.
>>
>>7790006
If I don't understand it it has no meaning
>>
I've been seeing more and more mention of Middlemarch on here. Is it any good?
>>
>>7790024
long, boring, dramatic affair by a british woman. what do you think?
>>
>>7790012
It's pretty much impossible to enjoy it though, way too self indulgent IMO
>>
Here's a personal list of an afacondio of GREAT fiction.

1 Captain Underpants and the Attack of the Talking Toilets
2 Detective Pony (Pony Pals #17)
3 Battlefield Earth
4 Night of the Crabs
5 Abraham Lincoln: Fuck Lord of the Moon
6 YOLO Juliet
7 Pounded In The Butt By My Book "Pounded In The Butt By My Book 'Pounded In The Butt By My Book "Pounded In The Butt By My Own Butt"'"
8 Twilight
9 The Legacy of Totalitarianism in a Tundra
10 Infinite Jest
>>
>>7790026
self indulgent? how so?
>>
>>7790035
I feel like Joyce wanted people to scratch their heads for years. I don't agree with spending 7 years writing something that's going to need a guide for the layman to understand. Half of it is excellent, but the shite in the rest is just unbearable (and yet it's nowhere near as bad as Finnegan's). Portrait of the artist is just better
>>
>>7790025
>this criticism of Middlemarch

Grownups are talking, sweetie. Oh, I have an idea! Let's get your crayons, and you can draw us a pretty picture of a kittie! With lots of all the fun things the kittie does during the day!
>>
>>7790049
>this is the type of person who likes Middlemarch

case in point.
>>
>>7790026
That's not a valid criticism, as art is necessarily self-indulgent.
>>
1. Brothers K.
2. Don Quixote
3. The Idiot
4. Fathers and Sons
5. The Iliad
6. Crime and Punishment
7. Paradise Lost
8. Oedipus at Colonus
9. Pere Goriot
10. Siddhartha
>>
>>7790047
why is it self indulgent to make a legendary puzzle?
>>
>>7790068
>>7790064
I suppose it comes down to an individual's interpretation of the medium. I'll agree to disagree (but Finnegan's wake is a pile of shit)
>>
>>7790067

I'm a huge Dostoyevsky, but goodness me, replace The Idiot with Demons I'd say.
>>
>>7789928
Would swap Moby Dick for Clive Cussler's Atlantis Found.
>>
>>7790067
>2 dosto
>no Tolstoy

BK is my favorite as well, but come on. Tolstoy is objectively the best.

Also what's up with people putting epics with novels? If this is supposed to be a "canon" thing then all these lists are garbage for lack of Shakespeare.
>>
>>7789948
>8. The Alchemist
what did he mean by this?
>>
How fucking tame. I"m not even going to take the stance that these don't belong there (they do), except for Middlemarch. It's just such an antiseptic list.
>>
>>7790127

Aside from Ivan Ilyich and Anna Karenina I haven't read much Tolstoy, but I do think he's worse overall than Dostoevsky. His prose, at least in the Maude translation, is by far the best I've come across, but I feel like that novel can't really come close to Dostoevsky's psychology and philosophizing. Just a personal preference of what I want out of a book is all it is, I'm planning on starting War & Peace in a little while so maybe that'll move him up for me.

>>7790076

I only read it once and I really wanted to like it but it didn't quite feel like Dostoevsky. With the exception of a few rare times of discussion coming from Kirillov it was painfully slow without the usual interesting characters to latch onto (as in the other three of his big novels). I do plan on re-reading it though.
>>
>>7790138
I'm not sure that would really count as a criticism
>>
>>7789948
Nigga wheres the casual vacany and beetle the bard?!?! Smdh senpai
>>
>>7790133
Paulo Coelho
>>
>>7790076
Nice to meet you, I'm a medium-sized Dostoyevsky
>>
>>7789948
Ready player one should be on that list
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.