[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do so many fans of The Lord of the Rings seem to miss the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 501_LEE_Lord_Denethor.jpg (53 KB, 600x240) Image search: [Google]
501_LEE_Lord_Denethor.jpg
53 KB, 600x240
Why do so many fans of The Lord of the Rings seem to miss the terrible melancholy that suffuses the series?

It's like they don't notice how everything 'cool' in the books--The Shire, Rivendell, Moria, Lothlorien, Isengard, Fangorn, Minas Tirth, even Mordor--is in its last, bitter days. A new age, OUR age, is dawning, and everything awesome and terrible and beautiful in Tolkien's world is about to go away forever. The series is great, but it's so, so depressing.
>>
It would be depressing if that faggot didn't destroy the ring. The ring gets destroyed everything's good nigger. Don't fret.
>>
>>7787134
>everything's good
>everything's
>'s

no, no it isn't
>>
>>7787094
The melancholy was really put into context for me after reading the Silmarillion

Everything is so bittersweet yet beautiful
>>
>>7787149
Yeah, it really expands the story in great ways when you realize that everything that occurs in the journey of the Lord of the Rings is a reflection of a greater event of the mythic past. Even Sauron himself is just attempting to emulate the reign of Morgoth
>>
It's Catholic fiction, that's how they roll.
>>
>>7787138
>>'s
?
>>
>>7787166
We all know Tolkien was actually an occultist. He was a member of the Esoteric Order of the Golden Dawn and was obsessed with the Theosophical conception of Atlantis, with NĂºmenor being his analog for it. Most scholarly Catholic types are low key entrenched in occultism. The White Council was his analog of the secret orders he was likely a part of with other like minded individuals
>>
Lotrs is good, but lotr fans are often retards. Dude orcs lmao
>>
>>7787094

I missed this myself actually. Now I'm sad. Thanks OP.
>>
All mythology presents the world in a state of decline with the golden era of civilization far behind the current state of humanity, who are living in it's decaying ruins, it's heroes a pale reflection of the greatness of the heroes of old
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.