[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the cringiest book you have ever read?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: 9788466649179.jpg (22 KB, 288x446) Image search: [Google]
9788466649179.jpg
22 KB, 288x446
What's the cringiest book you have ever read?
>>
Pic rel actually especially when it turns out that one od main caracters is a black lesbo. Also dead guy is jobs and fat guy is stallman.
>>
Anything by John Green.

God is dead.
>>
>>7787100
You dumb nigger, this thread almost died.
>>
File: 1448085528825.jpg (44 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1448085528825.jpg
44 KB, 480x480
>>7787100
This. Nietzsche was an assburger.
>>
>>7786531
anything by joyce.
>>
>>7786531

Is it worth reading?
>>
You posted it.

To be fair, I haven't actually read it, but that thread we had a while back where an anon posted excerpts... God, it was just awful
>>
>>7787119
No. The premise is really interesting, but it's so filled with pop culture pandering that it kills any chance of the story to be good. It has some moments though.

>>7786552
At least the reveal only takes a page long.
>>
I read like 30 pages of an acquaintances self published fantasy novel. It was drek.
>>
>>7787132
Half the point of the book is that it's full of pop culture. It's about the mythologization of nostalgia.

You'd realize that if you read the fucking book
>>
>>7787157
>It's about the mythologization of nostalgia.
And? What does it do with that? Nothing, it's played completely straight.
>>
>>7787174
It's about a generation of people who grew up learning about the pop culture of another century and developed a religious devotion to memorizing, analyzing and recontextualizing it because it gives meaning to their own horrible lives.

to the people who lived in 80s that was a phase of their life and source of nostalgia, but these characters have never known what it was to live in this decade and instead relearn a way of life through its history and entertainment

If that doesn't satisfy you, you could just as easily say it's about being a fan theorist. That's the way I like to interpret it, and since I take pride in the same autistic mental gymnastics, this book gives me the fantasy of a true reward for theorizing and speculation
>>
>>7786531
I hated that book. Never have I wanted to punch an author so badly.
>>
>>7787225
hah caught one
>>
>>7786531
It's like the author thinks watching, reading, listening, being such a rabid consumer to the point of knowing the most trivial things about mainstream entertainment, is a good thing.

I really hated it.
>>
>>7787225
I can see why you liked it, and what you wrote is part of what I liked about that world as well: sacred media from a forgotten era, the words of a dead man treated like gospel, a search that spans an entire (virtual) universe.

But I was let down. It's a great premise that most of the time is just a vehicle for the author to geek out about the things he likes. The fact that I also happen to like many of those things as well only made me feel more dissapointed.
>>
>>7787225
>It's about a generation of people who grew up learning about the pop culture of another century and developed a religious devotion to memorizing, analyzing and recontextualizing it because it gives meaning to their own horrible lives.
The only reason they were so obsessed with the 80's culture was the hunt. Otherwise, OASIS works perfectly as escapism for their shitty lives regardless. All the references passes as the author pointing out stuff that everyone else already likes to be likeable and seem interesting, when in reality he is just lazy an unimaginative.
In a virtual universe with thousand of worlds, all of them are references to things that already exits, which diminishes the true potential of the book.
>>
File: 81729_1.jpg (219 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
81729_1.jpg
219 KB, 1200x1200
Biggest mistake of my life
>>
I cringed a lot reading The Secret History. Which is odd because my opinion of it is generally favorable.
>>
File: 支配者民族.gif (3 MB, 640x358) Image search: [Google]
支配者民族.gif
3 MB, 640x358
>>7786531

Game of Thrones. Not kidding.

If I was more sentimental, I might have cried on account of what that man has done to the fantasy genre.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.