[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bible edition?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 500x438) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 500x438
If I were looking for a version of the bible in english to read for academic purposes (ie to better understand english lit and it's impacts) which printing should I buy? Preferably paperback, I have no interest in the thing holding value.
>>
OP here. Apologies for using an apostrophe in "it's".
>>
>>7786029
KJV
>>
>>7786029
New Oxford Annotated Bible with Apocrypha, 4th edition. There's a PDF of it you can find in Bookzz, I think. Also get a King James Bible, the Oxford World's Classics is cheap and nice, but the Norton Critical Edition in two volumes is the greatest, albeit rather expensive.
>>
File: 1452911452964-0.jpg (188 KB, 640x453) Image search: [Google]
1452911452964-0.jpg
188 KB, 640x453
>>7786029

Its word holds value.
>>
>>7786029
KJV. This version.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0393347044?keywords=the%20English%20bible&qid=1457400204&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
>>
>>7786029
KJV for lit
ESV hardcore mode
NLT if ur pleb/really like flowery language
>>
>>7786751
NASB > ESV

How did you not realize that?
>>
>>7786770
>NASB
Not all it's touted to be. One thing I found jarring was the use of American measurements (that's what the A stands for after all), which for example in Revelation completely wrecks the significance of the numbers in the actual original. It does flow fairly well though for being as (otherwise) literal as it is.
>>
>>7786029
>to better understand english lit and it's impacts

KJV is the one English authors have been reading for 400 years, so its definitely the most impactful. Get a version with good editorial notes and stuff.
>>
>>7786770
first off no one uses nasb
second.... who cares as long as its not NIV
>>
New Revised Standard Version imo. King James Version if you don't mind missing some meaning, but want to see exactly what most English-speaking Christians have read from.
>>
Norton Critical King James Bible is the GOAT
>>
>>7786029

KJV. But, to be honest, it's all pretty dull.

>"Oh I can't wait to get to the part where they mentioned genealogy for paragraph after paragraph... again!"
>begats a plenty
>>
>>7786029

>2016
>Choosing anything other than KJV

Well, your loss if you do.

Modern versions sacrificed beauty in the name of truth; without realizing that there is truth in beauty.
>>
>>7786029
Jerusalem Bible, official Catholic annotated version.
>>
You wanna read the whole bible? Why, anon, why?
>>
>>7786529
its the only one
>>
>>7786029
New Revised SV is the standard for academic reference in English.

KJV is essential for studying English lit 17th-19th centuries.

NASB is considered most pedantically literally accurate and is used by translators as a standard for reference and for cwazy fundamentalists.

PhD in British romantics... KJV for my dissertation and NASB for personal use.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.