[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what do you guys think of white noise by Don Delillo? I personally
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: White_Noise.jpg (37 KB, 295x443) Image search: [Google]
White_Noise.jpg
37 KB, 295x443
what do you guys think of white noise by Don Delillo?
I personally found it really boring and did not finish the book.
>>
Finished it yesterday. Absolutely fantastic novel, a very interesting and fun look at American society/culture. I will say that I doubt it would appeal to non-Americans or Americans born after, say, 2000.
>>
It's one of the most dreadful novels I've read. It's got boring prose and is more like a horrible essay stating the obvious with a bit of a symbol somewhere around there. I don't understand why this is a staple novel for late 20th century literature.
>>
it's the most trite analysis of american culture i can think of.
>>
>>7786207
Indeed. Supremely banal. Why is it so praised again?
>>
did you guys know that DFW loved DeLillo?
>>
>>7785057

You probably stopped before reading what I thought was the best part, close to the end. It is sort of a challenge to read, though, as distant and formalist as it is.
>>
Perhaps the very real absence of substance is a sort of commentary in itself. Whatever the case, I stalled out on this bitch for a minute and then just read the remaining bit real fast to get it behind me. No big shakes.
>>
Haha, get it, it's called "White Noise" because it's a bunch of privileged white people whining about their banal problems.
>>
>>7786396
nice one
>>
>>7786391
>White noise
>the very real absence of substance is a sort of commentary in itself

You might be on to something here bub
>>
>I'm gonna make a point by making my novel boring and vapid!

Yeah... knock yourself out, donny...
>>
>>7786298
>the best part, close to the end
I re-read it last week. The Dylarama section is by far the weakest third of the book. It was my favorite book halfway through highschool so I guess I look back on it nostalgically but it's really not a bad book. DeLillo can't write women convincingly, but his descriptions and catalogues are 10/10.
>>
It's my second favorite book. It's an essential novel that everybody should read if they want to understand the times we live in.
>>
>>7786563
i loved the book as well. what's your favorite book, anon?
>>
>>7786570
Gravity's Rainbow (pretty boring choice for this board, I know, but I read it long before I discovered this place). Number three is Something Happened by Joseph Heller.
>>
>>7786640
Fine choices all around
>>
I dont get how dfw can love this but hate bret easton ellis. Isnt it similar?
>>
>>7785057

I read it expecting to like it because I'm a big fan other other pomo writers like Pynchon and Gaddis, but I really didn't.

Would I like any of his other stuff if I didn't like White Noise?
>>
>>7785057
I think that Libra is better.
>>
>>7786807
No. Wallace thought DeLillo had fantastic prose. He thought BEE wrote no substance shock value bullshit.
>>
>>7786116
97 here. I felt DeLillo's commentary is still relevant. Especially the balding son, funny and very real
>>
IM GONNA READ MRS DALLOWAY THEN LIBRA WEEEEEEEW
>>
[Noun]studies Professor wakes up to find his son is more redpilled than he ever will be.

>>7786814
>>7788575
Libra is literally a flawless novel. Not even Flaubert could match that perfection.

Reminder that they've been watching you, Anon, for a long time now, and are putting messages into the Horoscopes section of the newspapers just for you to see.
>>
>>7785057
it reminded me a lot of True Stories, i think he wrote it as sterilely as he did because to write about hyperconsumerism any other way would be hypocritical

i genuinely don't understand how anyone thought it was boring, and it was anything but banal, maybe insipid but not banal

>>7786807
>i don't get how somebody can love eating oreos but hate eating the packaging that the oreos came in
>>
Wasted my time reading 5 chapters before I realized I was being meme'd hard. I'm starter since then.

Don't ever listen to /lit/ when it comes to purchases, it's impossible to tell what's actually good and what's being liked ironically.
>>
>>7789353
>I'm starter since then.

I meant smarter, goddammit.
>>
>>7789353
>>7785057
>>7786207
>>7786211
paid shills roam this site trying to dissaude people from reading pinecone and delillo

fuck right off
>>
>>7786396
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM
>>
>>7789362
I don't think people need to like Pynchon or DeLillo, but they need to recognize their talent.
>>
>>7789511
I recognize Pynchon even if I don't like him at all, but DeLillo is dreadful.
>>
>>7789543
Well, agree to disagree my friend.
>>
File: 1408790970101.jpg (151 KB, 1528x1950) Image search: [Google]
1408790970101.jpg
151 KB, 1528x1950
>>7786640
tbqh, white noise reminded me a lot of something happened, in a very good way. I really liked both.
>>
>>7789989
>>7786640
gonna check out the heller, thanks
>>
>>7791548
Something Happened has one of the best endings of any book I've ever read
>>
Hitler studies... Cracks me up every time I think about that.
>>
>>7789563
I don't agree to that.
>>
I thought it was great, but I must agree with some other anons in this thread; the last part, Dylarama, was the best. I found "The Airborne Toxic Event" to be a bit boring desu senpai
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.