[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that the dust has settled, what is /lit/'s consensus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3
File: AUTHOR_Roberto_Bolano.jpg (30 KB, 490x580) Image search: [Google]
AUTHOR_Roberto_Bolano.jpg
30 KB, 490x580
Now that the dust has settled, what is /lit/'s consensus on Bolaño?
>>
>implying the dust ever settles

newfriend pls go
>>
>>7784478
He's perfect
>>
>>7784481
>implying you are not made of dust and will continually rise and settle, that life is not a billowing series of circle, and that this thread isn't a beautifully desperate take on marking a fixed point on the continuum
>>
>>7784512
*tips*
>>
I'm in a band named after one of his books, and never bothered finishing it because i lost the pdf and i dont care enough about poets to find it again.
>>
DUDE POETRY LMAO
>>
>>7784478
a decent writer that english-speaking publishers turned into a "mysterious" "tormented genius" from "exotic" latin america to sell more translations.
>>
>>7784522
>band named after one of his books

lemme guess, you guys all have beards, some wear suspenders, you enjoy microbrews, one or two of you make their own sriracha sauce at home, and you all have tatts
>>
>>7784522
are you that one guy that shills the Savage Detectives band that has a song about catch 22
>>
>>7784618
Do you have youtube link or something? Sounds hilarious.
>>
>>7784478

Not as good as Elliot Rodger
>>
>>7784627
They're similarly edgy though.
>>
Did you guys like2666?
>>
>>7784625
its so bad

https://savagedetectives.bandcamp.com/
>>
>>7784618
>>7784625
>>7784717

samefag

stop shilling
>>
a degenerate
>>
>>7784717
Thank you so much.
>>
Ahh Roberto Husbando, I love you.
>>
>>7784717
You can feel the cheap influence of NMH in there, the off-key singing pretending not to care...
>>
>>7784748
nope
>>
>>7784522
I feel like this might not be a joke
>>
>>7784587
/thread

Oh, by the way, his spanish publisher compared him to Pynchon, Proust and Melville in a review written by a close friend of him. Take that.
>>
I've tried reading 2666 and The Savage Detectives and wound up getting bored of both of them.
I don't know, maybe I'm a pleb, but both of those books don't have much substance to interest me. Savage Detectives started off well, and the interviews were really interesting too, but at a point it seemed repetitive as fuck.
Maybe I haven't given 2666 that much of a chance, I'll read it again and form a solid opinion on it.
>>
>>7784672
love it
his other stuff was above average but 2666 is truly my jam
>>
>>7787304
I think you're in the right, anon. This drivel was just pushed on everyone by the industry. Nothing of consequence came from Bolano.
>>
>>7784478
i made it through the first part of the savage detectives and the first part of 2666 before succumbing to boredom. i also read by night in chile and some random poems of his. desu, i was rather underwhelmed by all of them. his prose just doesn't do anything for me.
>>
>>7784717
>those album covers
yeesh
>>7786178
I'm feeling more of a Bright Eyes desu, but with less emotion. It's honestly just boring.
>>
>>7784478
I got most of the way through monsieur pain in one sitting at a library. It was ok, like a subdued version of a Pinecone story.

I'll probably finish it and read his major stuff eventually.
>>
I like him a lot i read 2666 and Savage Detectives which are his stand-out works. Then i read By NIgh In Chile, The Insufferable Gaucho, The Return, Last Evening On Earth and Woes Of The True Policeman these whilst having their moments are not as good and it would probably have been better to reread 2666 although i needed to see if there was more.
>>
He's still considered a god in south america. I think hes the best south american writer after Borges.
>>
>>7788356
yeah. i like him better than marquez and cortazar. not sure if i like him more than donoso, though. borges is still my favorite, too.
>>
ITT: Contrarians who don't think The Savage Detectives or 2666 are anthemic for contemporary Latin America. Also people judging all of his work without having read his novellas or poetry.
>>
>>7788356
He ranks below Borges, Marquez. Maybe stands with Cortazar.
>>
>>7784717
This is painfully cringey. I really fucking hate this guy
>>
Is The Third Reich any good?

Sounds like his most interesting.
>>
>>7784478
Sucks
>>
>>7789240
do you like bolaño? if so, I think you should read it. there is barely any plot (if you care about that), but the atmosphere/mood is fantastic
>>
Nazi literature is pretty good, too. Not as good as 2666, but pretty fun read.
>>
>>7789672
I agree. IMO it's his most Borgesian work for what it's worth
>>
>>7784610
Why do I keep seeing people talking about fucking sriracha lately?
>>
>>7786178
I don't think he's pretending not to care, I think he's just bad and doesn't realise it....
>>
>>7789724
the sriracha food meme is like 3 years old big guy
>>
File: 1349071097319.jpg (22 KB, 317x379) Image search: [Google]
1349071097319.jpg
22 KB, 317x379
>You will never have a threesome with María and Simone, spanking them while they double team your dick
someone pls edit feel guy into Ulises Lima and Arturo Belano
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.