[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This thing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: 61bahG8xTIL.jpg (65 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
61bahG8xTIL.jpg
65 KB, 333x500
Does this book get any fucking better /lit/?

Just started The Part About Fate and honestly it reads like a first draft.
>>
>>7784340
just curious, OP. before you get btfo by /lit/. what exactly were you expecting? you clearly had something in mind and it did not meet your expectations.
>>
bitch please; ya must be smokin' rocks! real shit for my people and it just don't stop
>>
>>7784377
Honestly I was expecting something epic in scope and style. I've so far gotten a bunch of intellectuals on Pynchon-esque quest for a German who, for reasons never properly explained, is in Mexico (maybe), and the bored ramblings of a neurotic professor who talks to the homophobic ghost of his father for... some fucking reason.

Does it start to tie together into something more than "Hey look how /lit/ I am!" or should I stop now?
>>
>>7784381
Death Grips, pls
>>
IMHO & that of pretty much all critics of regard, it is an extremely good book. It sounds to me like you are reading for plot. The 4th & 5th parts probably have more of what you're expecting. It ties together about as much as life does, which is to say, some bits do & some bits don't. It took me a month to read during about an hours commute a day. It's themes are on a grand scale & so you've got to be prepared to go with it. Read some reviews if you're concerned that it's not going to be worth it.
>>
someone post the copypasta
>>
>>7784395
>look how /lit/ i am!
>written during the span of several years and published in 2003

you might as well say it's reddit or something. you're fucking pathetic.
>>
why don't you finish the book before you make a stupid thread about it
>>
>>7784395
do you have ADHD? serious question.
>>
>>7784434
Holy shit a sincere reply on /lit/. Thank you anon for your opinion.

Tbh, not really reading for (expressly) plot, but I was hoping for there to be something more than what I've been given thus far. Maybe I just don't care for his style or the translation because it feels like he thinks he's way more clever than he's coming across.

I might give it a little more time, but right now I'm not seeing anything worth my time.

Thanks, anon, may a flock of lovely vaginas find their way to your crotch by sundown.
>>
File: 1440484981952.gif (2 MB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
1440484981952.gif
2 MB, 240x180
>>7784439
>unable to divorce a metaphor from time frame.

Do you challenge your reflection to fights?
>>
>>7784440
Because I wanted to know if I should even bother to finish it? Did you not read the original post? Reading must be hard for you, poor thing.
>>
>>7784455
in all honesty, if you didnt "connect" with the first two parts, which are great, then drop the book, you clearly dont have patience for the build up and reward. Im not trying to be an asshole but if the events in these two parts seem boring or pretentious to you then go ahead and drop it because there are alot of these through out the book. try reading some Dan Brown.
>>
>>7784434

A strong plot and a realistic life experience are not mutually exclusive. Things happen in life. Sometimes those things are dramatic. Sometimes they're emotionally satisfying. And yes, for most people, nothing interesting can happen in the course of their entire life. But here's the beauty of storytelling: you don't have to read about those people.

Plot, next to character, is the domain of fiction. To deny this is to write a piece of shit that nobody (outside of a small fringe of die-hards) will read. Imagery is for visual artists. Statements are for essayists. Wordplay is for poets.

Novels like 2666 fail because they don't understand the medium.
>>
>>7784593
your whole statement is a failure desu, senpai.
>>
File: 1451080352324.jpg (57 KB, 576x436) Image search: [Google]
1451080352324.jpg
57 KB, 576x436
>>7784340
It reads like a first draft because Bolano could not revise it.
BECAUSE HE DIED
>>
i'm nearing the end of the first part and actually am really enjoying it, bar norton annoying the fuck out of me (inb4 muh likeable characters, i'm bored of her bitch self being the centre of attention often). i think it's the overall atmosphere within the book that just lies over everything that happens that is so encapsulating about it.

it's not particularly difficult prose-wise so it's hardly exhausting to read even though it's long, so i'd carry on OP since the ending is supposed to be the best.
>>
I started reading it the other day and I think its phenomonal so far.

I'm happy that its quite different from The Savage Detectives (which I loved). I don't think its for everyone, and I might not like it as much if I hadn't read The Savage Detectives first.
>>
>>7784776
>the ending is supposed to be the best
le Fürst Pückler face
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.