[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What programs do you guys use as a free alternative to Word for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
File: Werd.png (9 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Werd.png
9 KB, 300x300
What programs do you guys use as a free alternative to Word for writing? My 365 days are up and I have been locked out of mine. Thanks in advance guys
>>
We pirate Word.
>>
>>7784028
Well usually I pirate most things, but I just couldn't seem to get Word to work pirated at all
>>
>>7784031
Grab an older version like 2010.
>>
>>7784040
I couldn't get 2010 to work either
>>
>>7784019
I've got a pirated copy of Word that has no spell checker which is pissing me off no end.

I used to use a thing called OpenOffice but I stopped because it was saving my files in an odd format.
>>
Ubuntu master race reporting in. Use libre office
>>
>not knowing how to typeset with LaTeX
holy fuck it's like you guys don't want to be taken seriously
>>
I re-use the same pirated copy of Word 2013 Professional. Once the 365 days are up, I simply uninstall Office and then re-install it from the torrent file.
>>
>>7784059
I went with Libre Office. Thanks tho guys
>>
File: OO Screenshot.jpg (240 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
OO Screenshot.jpg
240 KB, 1920x1080
Dude, Open Office can save in a ton of different formats. I save all of my stuff in Word 97/200 .doc format, and save it to Google Drive. Almost anything can edit .doc files, like Google Docs, Open Office, so on and so forth. Even fucking iPhones have apps for that shit, and Android can use either Google Docs or Hancomb Office Word.

It can also get plugins. I only use one that puts my current word count on the bottom of the screen, like with Word.
>>
>>7784089
Yeah I'm going to get that now, Libre Office literally installed with no icons and is freezing when I open a new document, on BOTH of my computers. Haha.
>>
>>7784095
Yeah, seriously, OO is god-tier freeware.
>>
>>7784089
The last time I used it was years ago when I was still pretty clueless so I'll give it another go.
>>
>>7784101
Yeah this is amazing, okay I'm done now guys. Thanks a bunch
>>
>>7784115
Don't forget, bro, get the word count plugin. It's super easy to install. Otherwise, it's a pain in the ass to get your word count.
>>
>>7784120
Thanks! Almost forgot about that
Any other good extensions I should be grabbing while I'm at it?
>>
>>7784127
None that I use. I write pretty slim when it comes to features, I just hate having to navigate menus to see my word count. The plugin puts it on the bottom like in my screenshot up there. Everything you need it right there, onscreen, updating in pretty much real time, with low resource usage.

I get a little chubby when I think of it. Fucking OO saved my ass so many times when Office took a shit on me or was too expensive or outdated or I lost my disks.
>>
>>7784019

>using the 365 versions ever

I got the whole '13 set included for free with my PC.
>>
>>7784019
LibreOffice and OpenOffice are pretty much the same thing, but the former is more maintained. The developers from OpenOffice went and started LibreOffice after they got kicked out by their Oracle overlords.

You can also use .txt files or you can open up an Evernote account.

>>7784095
Perhaps you have a screwed up installation. If not, OpenOffice might do the same. I haven't had any significant problems with LibreOffice, and I'm using an old computer.

>>7784101
OO is FOSS, not freeware. It's got an Apache licence.
>>
i use texmaker but i dont know how many pages i wrote
>>
>>7784053
What OS are you running? AFAIK windows 10 has safeguards against pirated office software. I got it running on mine but every time open any of the programs it tells me they aren't activated. I can still use them though. It's just a minor annoyance.
>>
>>7784062
Latex was useful maybe 10 years ago. Word is better in every way imaginable
>>
I use Pages. I prefer it to Word; it's lightweight with a clean UI.
>>
Don't bother with open office or any of that shit
just use google docs desu senpai
>>
libreoffice is the undisputed best msoffice alternative
>>
>>7787071
I'd agree with this bug GDocs has little quirks and limitations that piss me off, but if you want something quick and foolproof you cant really go wrong with it.
>>
>>7784089

Horrible stuff you've written
>>
>>7784019
free writer
>>
iA Writer 3
>>
>>7788284
i also use vim
>>
>>7788290
Markdown is then converted to pdf through pandoc with my own latex styles.
>>
>>7788292
http://mrzool.cc/tex-boilerplates/
>>
If you can't figure out how to get word to work with all the fucking info on the internet, you shoulnd't really be wrinting on a computer.
Get a pen.
>>
>>7784089
>The storm ended, as if it had never existed
except for the trees and twigs everywhere right
>>
>>7787093
And all those quirks are just down to it being different than the established standard of Word, not really faults with the software.
>>
>>7784019
My typewriter and my pen.
>>
>>7784055
The odt spec is loads better than docx
>>
>>7784059
>ubuntu

Try debian
Slackware
Crux
Gentoo
>>
Emacs
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.