[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone have a job where they can read or listen to audiobooks at work?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: 1408621391260.jpg (88 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1408621391260.jpg
88 KB, 960x960
Anyone have a job where they can read or listen to audiobooks at work?
>>
yep. i'm a cashier and i get most of my reading done during downtime.
>>
>>7783688
what kind of store has that few customers?
do you work the night shift?
does management care that you read or do they even know?
>>
>>7783737
it's a local grocery store, pretty small place. i work afternoons through night. usually have a pretty steady flow of customers until about 4pm, afterwards they arrive sparingly, giving me a few hours of reading time. my bosses are great people and don't like to see their employees doing any more work than is necessary, so they have no problem with what i do. they understand that night shifts have a lot of downtime and don't care how i pass it as long as i'm not ignoring customers.
>>
>>7783683
When I use Photoshop all day, I'm able to listen to audiobooks.
>>
>>7783683
That girl won the world cup.
>>
>>7783683
I had a friend that worked as a night time parking attendant or something like that. He basically sat in a little hut type thing and read all night. Pay was shit, but, hey.
>>
>>7783781
wot?
>>
>>7783759
cool

>>7783772
is ps just a habit now? wouldn't this require more thinking?

>>7783781
?
>>
>>7783793
If there's not much thinking and concentration involved, more like routine work in PS, then I can savour the audiobooks up to the last second.
>>
>>7783683
Data entry. Pretty godtier for audio books or music. Any time I have to handle something new or compose emails I usually have to pause, but I would say 60%-80% of my time I'm listening to things.

Plus it pays well, which is neat.
>>
>>7783828
how does one get into data entry and can you do it from home? Also it pays well thats surprising
>>
>>7783870
I think you usually sign up with an agency, or just have a LinkedIn and look for positions near you. A friend of mine knew I was job hunting in October and referred me to the job. Not sure if that impacted anything.

The pay to start was $17 an hour, but I do live in a big tech city. I ended up getting promoted pretty much off the bat(I said I had experience doing that kind of work before, but just knowing how to use a computer is all you need) and now I'm making something like 1000/week(i dont track my hours anymore and didn't anticipate this) working from home.

Can't say you'll have as much luck/charisma to get the promotion work at home part but we let most of our employees work from home in some capacity. (The company actually prefers it)

I have a BA(English lel) and I'm not sure if that had impact.

I would 100% recommend at least looking into it, I've been pleasantly surprised.
>>
>>7783897
wow thanks

is knowing how to use a computer all you need im in college now so don't have a degree yet, also do they compare the typing speeds of the applicants or any other metric or do they not care as long as you submit the work

I don't really care about not making much money but garunteed work from home is something I can get behind
>>
>>7783683
Sauce on the chick m8. Been at it for hours now
>>
>>7783897
You're living the dream
>>
>>7783897
>>7783913
oh yea another question what type of material do you read? Im surprised at some of the tasks people are mentioning in this thread, like for data entry I would think you may accidentally type what your listening to if your too focused on the book. I'm guessing its going to be something light like fiction? i even find it hard to read learning heavy material while playing video games
>>
Yes. I work the night shift, stacking shelves at Tesco.
>>
I live in Australia as a security officer. I handle the main gate at the site and on weekends do patrols. I read about 1-3 books per week at my job, in which I have 4 shifts, all 12 hours long. So 48 hour weeks, with 4 days off, I have been putting myself through Australian university, majoring in English Lit. I study while I work, and read recreationally during the same time. Life is good. Forgive my very robotic post, I am drunk and am typing in a very stale, primitive manner. Good luck and god bless, praise Cthulu.
>>
>>7783952
P.S. i reread over the thread and it seemed it was necessary to post earnings. This is all in AUD, obviously. I make 26 an hour minimum, with 67 being the maximum, working holiday night-shifts. These 67-an-hour shifts are spent reading novels or comics and watching movies. I make on average 1200 AUD a week.
>>
>>7783939
It's usually a rotation between fiction, books I've actually read already or just other audio. Whether or not I've gotten much sleep or actually have to work my ass off usually necessitates whether it's an audiobook or just music or comedy stand-up. Typically music is the easiest to listen to. If it's lyric heavy I do sometimes end up typing the words, which isn't good!

I'm very aware that I've got a good gig! I'm doing everything in my power to turn it into something I can do for at least a year or two while it's fresh and I'm not used to having money. Maybe in a year I'll hate my job and want to go back to school or something, but for know all I can do is recommend you at least check data entry out. It's a really great gig for quiet, personal work that won't destroy your body, which is pretty reasonable for people on this board I would garner.
>>
>>7783683

Stop posting roasties in the OP
>>
>>7783939
Other friends of mine made about as much as me(during busy seasons) being valets downtown. This is obviously big-city dependant as well, but for a job that requires very little training, my friends were making 12-13 an hour and an extra 10-15 an hour in tips. On slower days they made less, but had much more time to read.

Food for thought(they all hated it though and quit after sixish months)
>>
>>7783683
Serious question>>7783995

Why did you use the picture of that girl? I love vagina as much as any straight man but IT'S FUCKING INSULTING when you use it just to get attention.

inb4 aesthetic nonsense
>>
>>7783683
Serious question>>7783914

Why did you use the picture of that girl? I love vagina as much as any straight man and IT'S FUCKING INSULTING when you use it without giving her name.

inb4 google image search
>>
>>7783952
>>7783967
if your not still drunk can you explain the math behind getting 4 days off when you work 12 hours a day for 4 days? or do you just not have work on the sames days for subsequent weeks?
Also are your employers okay that you read at work and were there even any requirements for becoming a security officer like some sort of training or is it just entry level

>>7783941
same question are your employers explicitly fine with this?

>>7783993
thanks for all the info, got any specific book recommendations?

>>7784002
thats interesting never would have thought valet had that much down time

>>7784008
serious answer there wasn't really a specific thing I could post I mean maybe a guy reading or someone at there job but I didn't have one offhand and this picture is near the top right when I open my pictures folder. And honestly I do think it more aesthetically pleasing than most other images, and hey its fully clothed not like its that centered on vagina. I didnt think this was insulting much less FUCKING INSULTING but if thats what you think you may have a hard time using this board
>>
>>7784129
The light fiction I'm reading at the moment is Great Tales of Horror, which is a Lovecraft collection. Pretty straightforward, moderately interesting. Just finished Slade House by David Mitchell, also pretty easy to read on the go, sort of a ghost time travelling murder mystery novel. If you like his stuff this is a little less serious and pretty catchy. As for 'literature', I just reread Heart of Darkness and loved it to bits. If you like plays, Arms and the Man by Shaw is pretty cozy.

That's all I got. You have any suggestions?
>>
>>7784129
The valet thing was odd yeah. As far as I'm aware valets are usually a separate company from the hotel, so if there aren't any cars, the valets have absolutely nothing to do, hence reading or phone games.
>>
>>7783683
I use to work at a restaurant at night, the last three hours of my shift were cleaning so I listened to audio books then.

Another job I had was in a locally owned toy store. I read a ton there because people don't want toys during the non christmas season
>>
File: image.jpg (982 KB, 1750x2639) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
982 KB, 1750x2639
>>7784008
well memed.
fuck off.
women are objects. so are men. to be used as fuck puppets as one wishes.
>>
>>7784147
yea at the moment I'm reading Neuromancer, and for non fiction the Poison King Mithridates. I'm also starting the The President’s Crown of Thorns, this guy is pretty interesting
>>
Night time school janitor. I'm able to listen to podcasts and audiobooks incessantly.
>>
File: image.jpg (696 KB, 1080x1843) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
696 KB, 1080x1843
Yes I work from home so I do pretty much everything I damn well please
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.